Was I right to approach Plusnet ?

Options
Having no joy over a deal with Sky, I reluctantly decided to shop around and applied to PlusNet.

Application was easy and online chat was very helpful. I had an email, yesterday, advising of my line transfer date (within the promised 10 business days) and today, one saying that my broad band goes live the next day (the sales lady said this may be the case).

Then I had two questions to ask ( 1) how can I tell when the line has transferred ? and 2) How will I know when to set up the modem?).

I tried chat, but the man said he didn't know the answer and would transfer me to another department, but was unable to, so suggested I call.

Waiting time 30 minutes (twice).

I tried to find the answers on the site or find a way to ask by email, with no success.

So I tried chat again.

The person said that I would be sent an email to tell me when the phone was transferred, but I asked how I could do this with ADSL not being installed immediately.

The reply was use another device or ask someone else to access my email account.

I said that I didn't have an i phone (not everyone does) and that there was no way that someone else could access my email.

He then said that if the phone was transferred I would be able to access my own email.

Erm, what did I say about ADSL the next day ?

He then added that next day ADSL was usual and that things looked to be going along as expected. (We seem to be going in circle..rather like in the old BT days)

So....lack of communication and staff who haven't a clue. This does remind me of the old days with BT, but the call centre just happens to be UK.

I'm really having doubts now as communication from their award winning cs is terrible. If they were best what was the competition like ?

Comments

• oldagetraveller
    Options
    "I said that I didn't have an i phone"
    Why do you think an i thing is specifically required? Did they say you had to have an i thing to access e-mail?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't you know its transferred when your BB stops working ?

or your phone talks differently when you dial 1471
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You should be fine with Plusnet - I think they and Sky have got the best customer service (best of a bad bunch).

When I transferred, I dialled 17070 which is a line test, and the message you get varies depending on your line provider, so that should tell you when the change has happened.

Once the line has transferred, you may as well connect your new router and it should connect when the broadband is live.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    anactuary wrote: »
    You should be fine with Plusnet - I think they and Sky have got the best customer service (best of a bad bunch).

When I transferred, I dialled 17070 which is a line test, and the message you get varies depending on your line provider, so that should tell you when the change has happened.

Once the line has transferred, you may as well connect your new router and it should connect when the broadband is live.

I thought there was some kind of test but the cs person didn't seem to know about it.

It's ages since I changed and was (sort of) still with the broadband provider (O2 to Sky), so couldn't remember.

It's a very basic question to ask, so you'd expect then to be aware.
  • teddysmum
    Options
    "I said that I didn't have an i phone"
    Why do you think an i thing is specifically required? Did they say you had to have an i thing to access e-mail?

He said I'd get an email to tell me that the PlusNet line was live, but I pointed out that I had stated that PlusNet told me the ADSL would be live the day after the line,so would be unable to access the Net.

He then suggested I use another device or ask someone to access my email account for me. As the 'device' would have to depend on mobile access, I assumed an iphone or tablet was indicated (not being latest tech savvy).

I have an old Nokia basic phone as I have little use for mobile calls (just for emergencies away from home).
  • teddysmum
    edited 9 October 2016 at 5:00PM
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Don't you know its transferred when your BB stops working ?

or your phone talks differently when you dial 1471

I will be away from home during the line transfer day, so on getting home, I wouldn't know whether the line was still with Sky, but the broad band had been cut or the line was sorted and awaiting its ADSL switch on.

I'll have to listen to the 1471 speech as we have never used it, because our phone has caller display which stores a long list of the numbers called from.

I suppose it would be sensible for them to text me, but he specifically mentioned an email being sent.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Then I had two questions to ask ( 1) how can I tell when the line has transferred ? and 2) How will I know when to set up the modem?).
    When your existing broadband stops working you setup the equipment for the new ISP.

If that happens while you are out you will find out when you get home that the internet isn't working and you can setup the new ISP equipment right away.

If the broadband has stopped working and you can make voice calls that part has transferred.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Presumably ( as you mention BT) you moved to Sky from them, so what process did you use when moving to Sky from BT ?, the move from Sky to Plusnet is essentially the same, disconnecting from Sky and connecting to Plusnet ( which may well be a BT Wholesale service)... If you dial 17070 from a Sky line , you get something like 'Hi I'm Zoe, what do you want to do' , on a BT based service you get something like 'this circuit is defined as 01***,******' , that would indicate the service you are connected to
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When moving to plusnet my old internet went off and i plugged the plusnet one in and went to the loo, when i came back it was live with the new router.

Moved to Vodafone recently and it switched the same, just nake sure you check they kept your number. Vodafone gave me a new one for some odd reason. Had to get it back. Regretting leaving Plusnet...
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure