NHS worker since 1999? Are you due £1,000s of tax back

Options

Comments

• debbie_debt
    Options
    UPDATE

I've also just had a letter from the HMRC with a cheque for my tax refund - £3759

TOTAL REBATE UNDER THIS SCHEME - £5692 :j:j
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
  • debbie_debt
    Options
    adie_11 wrote: »
    Hello!

Any advice would be welcome. I completed my nurse training via the open university between 2009-2013. I was a student for 26hrs per week and a Nursing assistant 11.5hrs.

I have contacted HMRC who say I am not entitled to anything. Is this because the open university isn't recognised as a training establishment or because of the hours I worked?

Hi,

It looks like you probably aren't eligible unfortunately. You need to have been sponsored by an NHS Trust, with them paying you to do the course, and you studying full-time. Sorry!

Debbie
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
  • adie_11
    Options
    Hi Debbie,

I was seconded by the NHS trust to complete this training and i was paid a band 3 full time wage for 4 years. Part of the agreement of doing the course was that i had to stay with the trust 2 years after completing the training. I would argue that 26 hours a week as a student is full time ;-)
  • Received £6300 from tax refund today, again stating in letter will write seperately if this effects any benefits. total refund £8500:j:j
  • wifit
    Options
    Hi
    I did my year long course prior to 1999; are there any ways to claim prior to 1999?
    Thank you
    hi
    did you ever get an answer about doing course pre 1999
    or does anyone else have an answer
    thanks
  • wifit
    Options
    Hi did you ever find out the answer as I did mine 97-98
    thanks
  • CruisingSaver
    Options
    Widening access training schemes did not begin until 1999 and therefore any training before then does not qualify for the tax and NI refunds being discussed here.

CS
  • wifit
    Options
    thanks I was just checking as exactly same degree course shame could have done with a nice little windfall :D
  • niknak2308
    Options
    Hi all. I'd love to apply for this as know im eligible but after reading the article I'm a bit wary as I was in receipt of working and child tax credits at that time. I'm concerned I'll end up owing money as indicated in the article. Has anyone had any problems on this front? Part of me thinks just go for it but the sensible part says don't risk it. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • butterfly72
    Options
    Oh my word, there are some big rebates here - even for just one year courses!! I have 3 years secondment and 1 year DN training to claim. I'm going to try HR again Monday morning and if they're still dragging their heels, just apply for this myself. Which guidelines did everyone use to claim independently? Ta.
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport