PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• HoneyBee83
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Lurker here but thanks to my New Year Resolution I aim to get right into MSE again. I'm going to be more organised and hopefully boost my saving account! I'm also going to quit smoking so I am going to keep track of that on here (see signature).
    Hope you don't mind a newbie :hello:
    Emergency Savings #73 = £1,500/£2,000
    Savings Pot £1,440.00
    Xmas 2018=£100/£300 Australia =£0.00/6000
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    BBC forecast gives us high sinds from tomorrow morning until Monday.
    Is that Scottish for wind Mar? :rotfl:
    In Kirkby Stephen yesterday, the elements threw everything at us including 'torrential' hailstones. Got back home looking like a drowned rat. :(
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    welcome to the gang honeybee........... ive just spent 15 quid in buuts replenishing my warchest against fluand colds with capsules, powders, lozenges etc.... just about emerging from from a stubborn cold that wouldnt shift...... working earlies xmas eve and day , late boxing day.... on xmas day will cost me 16 quid in taxis would have been 32 but colleagues is taking us in........ you all stay safe
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Honeybee what a thing to say!! do we 'mind' a newbie, indeed!

Welcome:j:T
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's 3C here and sleety showers, windy but not dire. BBC forecast gives us high winds from tomorrow morning until Monday. Got enough food but going to run short of bread and eggs, although I have bread mixes in the cupboard. Wish it would snow like hell instead lol
    EDITED to make sense :)

Same here Mar but starting to gust. There's lots of snow on the Rest, so hope those travelling home will get through.
    Just need to pop out for chicken feed, as not enough to see me through to new year, and then what we don't have we won't be getting. Going to bake the christmas cake (dairy/egg free so doesn't keep) and mince pies etc this afternoon and finish off a couple of crochet'd gifts. It's my last day at work tomorrow, but will pop in on a couple of people over the holidays.

I'm not one for resolutions, but going to try really hard in 2017 to find a frugal/prepping way forward which encompasses my illness but still allows me to live the lifestyle that I love.

edited to add: lovely to meet you Honeybee :)

WCS
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OH is convinced that he is going to be made redundant in the new year. He has said similar in the past but seems to think that this really might be it. Its not the end of the world as he is only two years off retirement anyway and will get a decent pay off, but we will have to be more careful than we currently are.

More to the point - how am i going to cope with him at home all day? :eek:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    More to the point - how am i going to cope with him at home all day? :eek:

That's exactly the problem my mum had when my dad retired. He seemed to expect there to be a plan for each day. She pre-empted his retirement by going back to college a couple of years before he retired. They both had plenty of their own interests as well as stuff they wanted to do together. He soon got the hang of not going to work every day, and was FAR busier than when he was working!

I'm sure he's got plenty of interests and won't be under your feet the whole time but consider:

1. making time during the week to do nice things together so you make the most of the time
    2. having some kind of routine around meals/going for a walk or whatever
    3. if you're studying/working he can take over the cleaning, shopping and cooking
    4. get a list ready of all the jobs he's been going to do but hasn't had time for

3&4 will ensure he finds reasons to be out of the house :cool:
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VJsmum - make a little list of things to get around to, both around the house & wherever your studies take you & then reward the one with the other? You may never get out of academe again, but that is a risk you may have to take. I think you'd make a splendid Chancellor... <ducks>
    I only went in for buckwheat flour but Tesco had this windup torch & I fell for it. I was weak, but at least I'll get a windup torch in my stocking... (Amazon reviews are pretty withering, but my Inner Toddler is enchanted.)
  • HoneyBee83
    Options
    Thank you for the lovely welcomes all.
    Looking forward to getting to know you better
    Emergency Savings #73 = £1,500/£2,000
    Savings Pot £1,440.00
    Xmas 2018=£100/£300 Australia =£0.00/6000
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Hello and welcome, HoneyBee83, we love having new people in the merry band, any more lurkers out there please step forward and join in, we'd love to have you.

I'm in process of preparing to be away from home for 8 days and have decided (indeed, have already made it so) to bring my lovely bicycle into the flat for the duration. It normally lives in a small shed a few yards away, behind a door lock and a hasp-and-padlock.

Neither of those saved me from a shed-burglary about 3 years ago but the bike was chained to the wall and, I think, a bit too grandma for the thieves to want, as they'd cut the padlock off the door with an angle-grinder, and so could have easily cut the chain if they'd wanted to.

Twice in three days this week, I have noticed that the latch has been interfered with, which is only explicable by humans poking around there, so I decided to pre-empt trouble over the holibobs by bringing the steed indoors.

One of the bike chains has been used inside the shed to chain the newspaper trolley, the spare folding chair and the step stool to the steel storage rack, which is itself bolted to the wall.

Nothing's 100% thief-proof, but I will make the beggars work for anything of mine they steal, bygorry.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills