Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scarlettlayla2016
    • By Scarlettlayla2016 15th Jun 16, 9:02 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Scarlettlayla2016
    Leeds building society application worries
    • 15th Jun 16, 9:02 PM
    Leeds building society application worries 15th Jun 16 at 9:02 PM
    Hi everyone. Just after a bit of feedback from anyone who's applied for a mortgage with Leeds BS and how the process went for you and if you got asked anything similar.
    Our application went in about 4 weeks ago, we had the survey done and then they came back and asked for childcare evidence and the help
    To buy form, my mortgage adviser sent this across and today they have come back saying that they need the HTB form and the childcare forms signed and certified and I also had to pay the £35 chaps fee. They said once revived it goes to final underwriting; I'm getting very nervous now as my
    Adviser said they are being very picky and I'm worried they are going to throw it back again. Has anyone had anything similar, it's so frustrating as I'm now back to the bottom of the que and it's another 3 working days before they look at it.
Page 1
    • Newbiebuyer2016
    • By Newbiebuyer2016 15th Jun 16, 9:35 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Newbiebuyer2016
    • 15th Jun 16, 9:35 PM
    • 15th Jun 16, 9:35 PM
    We have just competes with a Leeds Mortgage! They are a pain but we got there!

You can probably see on my previous threads my timeline for application to offer.

It was 4 weeks total, after 2 weeks we had to provide childcare evidence, letter from employer, and some self employed evidence. Then 5 days again then we got delayed 3 times so my MB got a bit shirty with them.

I assume you doing shared ownership as part of your help to buy?

I wouldn't say they are picky they are just notoriously slow!
    • Scarlettlayla2016
    • By Scarlettlayla2016 15th Jun 16, 10:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Scarlettlayla2016
    • 15th Jun 16, 10:46 PM
    • 15th Jun 16, 10:46 PM
    Thank you for this!
    My Morg broker said they are just asking silly questions now she forwarded the email direct from the help to buy agents and they said it could of been tampered with, we are doing a full morg application with the help to buy equity loan of 20%. Did you have to pay £35 before you got accepted?
    • Newbiebuyer2016
    • By Newbiebuyer2016 21st Jun 16, 6:55 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Newbiebuyer2016
    • 21st Jun 16, 6:55 PM
    • 21st Jun 16, 6:55 PM
    Sorry for late reply! Yes we paid on application!
    • Senior Paper Monitor
    • By Senior Paper Monitor 21st Jun 16, 7:42 PM
    • 2,875 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    Senior Paper Monitor
    • 21st Jun 16, 7:42 PM
    • 21st Jun 16, 7:42 PM
    Ah - that's Leeds for you, but to be honest they are better than they used to be (used to be on our 'not enough days left of my life list').

Picky always, insane occasionally - but it usually gets through eventually if you get to the nit picking stage !
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 21st Jun 16, 9:03 PM
    • 10,678 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 21st Jun 16, 9:03 PM
    • 21st Jun 16, 9:03 PM
    For a broker LBS are like the Dentist. Painful, but you have to visit them every so often.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Matt_B
    • By Matt_B 21st Jun 16, 10:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Matt_B
    • 21st Jun 16, 10:51 PM
    • 21st Jun 16, 10:51 PM
    Have just completed with Leeds yesterday, and while they're slow and can seem a bit pedantic - their customer service was excellent throughout the whole process. Took approx 6 weeks from application to offer, so I wouldn't stress. The fact they're asking for additional information is good, as it hopefully means they're simply looking for evidence to complete their file in order to approve everything.

I was told by an advisor at Leeds that the initial application is checked and signed off by an 'assessor' and then if all good, it goes in for final underwriting (ie; if the underwriter agrees with the assessor the mortgage will be approved) however sometimes the underwriter will pick up certain things the assessor may have missed, so will need to request further info to complete the file.

The fact they've requested the CHAPS fee is a good sign, it means they're expecting to have to transfer money to your solicitors at some point...

Not sure why they get such bad reviews on here from everyone, I found them really good!
    • MortgageMamma
    • By MortgageMamma 22nd Jun 16, 10:06 AM
    • 6,197 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    MortgageMamma
    • 22nd Jun 16, 10:06 AM
    • 22nd Jun 16, 10:06 AM
    I Quite like them, always have. I don't think they are overly picky they actually want to lend the money - they are not the slickest in terms of processing but you can speak directly to an underwriter and they have good products.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 22nd Jun 16, 10:40 AM
    • 33,865 Posts
    • 18,386 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 22nd Jun 16, 10:40 AM
    • 22nd Jun 16, 10:40 AM
    Application submitted three weeks ago and it's taken them until their second "shopping list" of requirements to ask for a sole occupier declaration.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 22nd Jun 16, 10:43 AM
    • 33,865 Posts
    • 18,386 Thanks
    kingstreet
    Not sure why they get such bad reviews on here from everyone, I found them really good!
    Originally posted by Matt_B
    Experience.

Ten to twenty applications a year and you get used to the requests and the delays.

Most of our cases are offered in a week to ten days. We consider ourselves fortunate if we get an offer from Leeds inside three weeks.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Matt_B
    • By Matt_B 22nd Jun 16, 2:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Matt_B
    Experience.

Ten to twenty applications a year and you get used to the requests and the delays.

Most of our cases are offered in a week to ten days. We consider ourselves fortunate if we get an offer from Leeds inside three weeks.
    Originally posted by kingstreet
    Fair enough- I guess you can only comment on own personal experience. Was my first ever mortgage, so didn't have a clue on usual time scales... but there customer service was always excellent! Looking back I only had the option between Leeds or Skipton, so perhaps going with Skipton would have saved me a month of sleepless night!
    • crazyasalways
    • By crazyasalways 21st Jun 18, 2:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    crazyasalways
    anyone gone through a mortgage with leeds bs in 2018?
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 21st Jun 18, 5:26 PM
    • 10,678 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    amnblog
    Little has changed from the above.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • archived user
    We have just gone through a mortgage application with Leeds.

It was very smooth took 14 days from full application to mortgage offer and they were very helpful when I rang them even though we were doing it through a broker but the broker wasn't keeping us updated but Leeds were happy to tell us when the valuation was taking place then I rang and they told me I had an offer and they would email it to me.
    • chocodile
    • By chocodile 5th Aug 18, 7:27 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chocodile
    I've just had a DIP from Leeds after it went through referral. Has anyone been through referral at DIP stage and still got accepted on the full mortgage? Slightly worried!
    • bigstevex
    • By bigstevex 6th Aug 18, 2:25 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    bigstevex
    I've just had a DIP from Leeds after it went through referral. Has anyone been through referral at DIP stage and still got accepted on the full mortgage? Slightly worried!
    Originally posted by chocodile

If anything, human eyes have looked at it for the referral hence probably less to worry about if it passes referral. Ours was a referred DIP too due to type of income, application currently progressing
    • Ryno1234
    • By Ryno1234 9th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ryno1234
    Hi, we have put an application through a broker with LBS on the 8th August and got a phone call today, 9th, to inform us that the valuer was coming out to value our property on the 15th..
    Has anyone any idea at what stage of the process this might be?? Tia.
    • JLammy
    • By JLammy 10th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JLammy
    Contrary to the above, I had a very good process with Leeds BS. Here's the timeline so far:

26/07 - Full Application Submitted
    03/08 - Memorandum of Sale forwarded to Leeds BS
    03/08 - Booked valuation inspection for 06/08
    07/08 - Mortgage Broker amended the service charge to reflect the higher amount on the MOS
    08/08 - Passed Valuation & Offer Received
    • Aberdeen-Loon
    • By Aberdeen-Loon 10th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aberdeen-Loon
    So strange that you applied before me yet have your offer when a valuation wasn't even required for mine.

21/07/18 - AIP reffered but approved
    23/07/18 - Home Offer Accepted
    25/07/18 - Full application and documents (including home report) sent to broker and Leeds
    25/07/18 - Credit search has appeared on credit file
    03/08/18 - Leeds request proof of deposit - Sent (advised this is the final document)
    09/08/18 - Leeds waiting on copy of the home report to be assesed
    10/08/18 - Waiting.....
    • JLammy
    • By JLammy 10th Aug 18, 3:18 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JLammy
    Not sure why that is I'm afraid! I was fully expecting to be rejected too... So i'm very happy that I received an offer in the end!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin