We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Infinity TV Box - Legal??

Options
I am looking to reduce my monthly outgoings and have rung Sky who have offered me £6 off my monthly bill (or £1.50 as it goes up next month).

I keep seeing this Inifinity TV Box, £149 no subscription but every channel imaginable streamed into your TV.

Is it legal?

Reading their T&C they seem to pass all responsibility to the viewer as they are the service provider but there are a couple of articles suggesting that it is an offence to watch PPV channels free of charge in the UK.

Any help would be appreciated as right now I am seriously considering it as I would be in profit v my sky subscription within 3 months.

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I presume this 'infinity' TV box has nothing to do with BT Infinity broadband, if you are talking about some sort of VOD streaming box that happens to be called infinity, then £150 seems very expensive, and obviously if it doesn't work or is a bit hit and miss you can hardly complain, 'android' boxes can be had for around £40
    as far as legality, is probably not illegal to own one, but to use it to watch pay TV without paying for it , or watching copyrighted material without the owners consent probably is, however , the 'rights holders' would probably go for the sellers of the box, or attempt to stop the streams being available in the first place rather than going after individual users.
    There have been some ambulance type chaser law firms who get peoples addresses from their IP addresses (from the ISP) and sent out a 'were going to take you to court unless you pay us £££'s' type letters but the consensus seems to be ignore the letter , should you get one
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some time ago people were selling 'fixed' Sky boxes which could illegally show the chargeable channels, but Sky claimed to be onto these offenders, though no prosecutions have been announed in the media.

Could the Infinity box be one of these ?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Infinity is just a name given to whatever this Android box is .
    In my view the best is to install Kodi on your PC or Android tablet and test it .
    The actual boxes are just an Android OS box that will include Kodi and numerous repository apps that may give content .

Note their is no guarantee with these streams .They in effect just grab somebody s internet stream and do not actually supply anything .
    Dropped connections buffering freezing source no longer available are just some of the problems .
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A lot of the "good" streams are currently unavailable on Kodi because the providers of the repos are upset that their stream sources are being copied without their permission,so have withdrawn them!!
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    Just sounds like a different version of an Amazon Fire Stick with Kodi installed to let you watch movies/TV Shows/Football illegally.

Given you can buy an Amazon Fire Stick for £35 and install Kodi for free I don't see why anyone would pay £150 if they did want to watch channels illegally.
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the box is legal as it simply allows you to stream the content, streaming the content is still illegal though
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kaya wrote: »
    the box is legal as it simply allows you to stream the content, streaming the content is still illegal though

...not sure that that is correct -downloading of films/tv shows is a breach of copyright(?) -but I don't think that watching a streamed programme online is illegal -or at least, don't think it has been tested in court.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Get an Android box for less than £30 and see if it has the functionality you need.

That's what I did and I ditched my Sky subscription shortly afterwards.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...not sure that that is correct -downloading of films/tv shows is a breach of copyright(?) -but I don't think that watching a streamed programme online is illegal -or at least, don't think it has been tested in court.

Downloading the content to sell on is quite clearly illegal. Downloading it to watch yourself isn't illegal it's a civil tort but no-one has ever been brought before court in this country for just downloading content or possessing pirated DVD's bought at car boot sales. They have for downloading, copying and selling them at market stalls, car boot's etc but not for personal use only.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport