Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frequencydomain
    • By frequencydomain 19th Apr 16, 3:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    frequencydomain
    Motor Legal Protection
    • 19th Apr 16, 3:04 PM
    Motor Legal Protection 19th Apr 16 at 3:04 PM
    Our household has three cars, each with a separate motor insurance policy.
    Each policy has Motor Legal Protection Insurance included as an optional extra.

So, the question is... do I need Motor Legal Protection Insurance on all three policies or can I make do with having it on just one? (i.e. does it cover the driver or is it attached to the vehicle?)

(N.B. - Whether I really need it or it has value in the first place is an entirely different question - not the one being asked here.)

Opinions?
Page 1
    • OnanTheBarbarian
    • By OnanTheBarbarian 19th Apr 16, 3:20 PM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    OnanTheBarbarian
    • 19th Apr 16, 3:20 PM
    • 19th Apr 16, 3:20 PM
    It is usually just the standalone providers that cover the member regardless of number of vehicles.

Most of the products sold by insurers. brokers & price comparison sites only extend to cover incidents involving the use of the vehicle covered under the motor insurance policy they have sold you. So you end up buying the product 2-3 times over. Nice result for the insurers!
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 19th Apr 16, 5:46 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 19th Apr 16, 5:46 PM
    • 19th Apr 16, 5:46 PM
    Maybe cancel all three and find a standalone policy not linked to a single car?
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 19th Apr 16, 8:26 PM
    • 10,423 Posts
    • 13,109 Thanks
    vikingaero
    • 19th Apr 16, 8:26 PM
    • 19th Apr 16, 8:26 PM
    I'm in the same boat. 3 cars and 3 possible lots of legal cover for 29.99 each.

I bought a 2 year policy from Mems:

http://www.memonline.co.uk/legal.html

23.99 for up to 4 vehicles.

Note: 4th vehicle is pending...
    The man without a signature.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 19th Apr 16, 10:45 PM
    • 15,522 Posts
    • 21,576 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 19th Apr 16, 10:45 PM
    • 19th Apr 16, 10:45 PM
    If you join the CSMA for 25, you get it included with the membership.

This motor legal expenses insurance is included within your CSMA Club membership for incidents which happen while you’re a member of CSMA Club. It covers you and your spouse/partner who lives with you, for any motor vehicle that you or your spouse/partner are insured to drive and will complement any motor insurance policy.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • King_Nothing
    • By King_Nothing 20th Apr 16, 1:15 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    King_Nothing
    • 20th Apr 16, 1:15 AM
    • 20th Apr 16, 1:15 AM
    I have mine provided through my union membership, are you in any union?
    • hwills77
    • By hwills77 28th Apr 16, 12:08 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    hwills77
    • 28th Apr 16, 12:08 PM
    • 28th Apr 16, 12:08 PM
    Standalone is definitely the way to go: I did see that Memonline one, but I got it for slightly cheaper again with Best Price FS - www.bestpricefs.co.uk/motor-legal-protection.

9.75 for a year and policy wording doesn't seem to have any limit on the number of vehicles, which is good because I drive my wife's car as well as mine and do have a motorbike too. Does the Memonline one do just cars or different vehicles too?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

3,114Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • These scams are nothing to do with bitcoin. They are just scams. My view on bitcoin (though a little old now) a? https://t.co/i6rRIOr5hk

• SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! I have nothing to do with 'Bitcoin trading' or any get rich quick type advert or scheme. Don't t? https://t.co/WjitDxAc26

• Now I've heard it all. Apparently my politics is dictated by who follows me! You couldn't make this up. PS and for? https://t.co/hoPf6Jp34N

• Follow Martin