IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Sportspace Hemel Parking fine

Options
I have just received another letter from Civil Enforcement Ltd demanding payment for £140. The incident happened nearly a year ago and I thought naively that everything had passed over. I was at a gym class and had forgotten to input my car reg number. I emailed them straight away, quite furious and hadn't read the forums on here before sending. The POPLA number has now expired and I am not sure of the next steps. Do I just pay?

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just received another letter from Civil Enforcement Ltd demanding payment for £140. The incident happened nearly a year ago and I thought naively that everything had passed over. I was at a gym class and had forgotten to input my car reg number. I emailed them straight away, quite furious and hadn't read the forums on here before sending. The POPLA number has now expired and I am not sure of the next steps. Do I just pay?

I suggest this thread would be better placed on the Parking Board.

I have PM'd a board guide on your behalf asking that this thread be moved.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Thanks wealdroam and welcome to MSE dancer12345 :hello:

I've moved this to the Parking Tickets board :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Nope do not just pay.

Insist the Gym Manager cancels this. Really insist.

CEL do try to sue some people and although we have advice re a defence and their cases look shakier than some, it's not something you want to have to put up with. Having said that, it's not the end of the World if you do get court papers, come back here or you could now read some threads from last month by searching THIS sub-forum (not the whole of MSE) for 'CEL Court'.

Even if you lost at a defended hearing - and they have form for NOT turning up! - the most you'd be likely to be asked to pay would be about £150 so no different than you are being bothered for now. No effect on credit rating, no bailiffs, nothing if you then paid if you lose. I don't think you'd lose but depends on the day, how it goes, what side of bed the Judge got out of - and if CEL show up.

Hence why I say, get the Gym Manager to cancel it NOW to avoid years of concern about them pursuing it. Debts can be pursued for six years, not that this is a 'debt' in the normal sense. Do not reply to debt collector letters. Do not ring them!

Get rid of it by complaining, even if you tried before. Now get assertive.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • dancer12345
    Options
    Thank you for your response. Do I reply to the company with an appeal as well as speaking with the gym manager? Or just go straight to the gym manager?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    its too late to appeal

so as stated above , complain strongly to the gym manager or head office and get it cancelled

come back if you get an LBC or an MCOL (court papers) from CEL

they have 6 years to do this so I have no idea why you think one year is ample

we are not interested in worthless debt collector letters, they are powerless
  • dazster
    dazster Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    Dacorum Sports Trust (the operator of this facility) is a registered charity. Its "charitable objects" are as follows (don't blame me for the all-caps, they are from the Charity Commission website):

TO PROVIDE OR ASSIST IN THE PROVISION OF FACILITIES AND SERVICES PRIMARILY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE COMMUNITY AND VISITORS TO THE ADMINISTRATIVE AREA OF DACORUM AND ANY SURROUNDING AREAS FOR RECREATIONAL, SPORTING OR OTHER LEISURE TIME OCCUPATION IN THE INTERESTS OF SOCIAL WELFARE, SUCH FACILITIES BEING PROVIDED TO THE PUBLIC AT LARGE SAVE THAT SPECIAL FACILITIES MAY BE PROVIDED FOR PERSONS WHO BY REASONS OF THEIR YOUTH, AGE, INFIRMITY OR DISABILITY, POVERTY OR SOCIAL OR ECONOMIC CIRCUMSTANCES MAY HAVE NEED OF SPECIAL FACILITIES AND SERVICES; AND/OR B) TO PROMOTE AND PRESERVE GOOD HEALTH THROUGH COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION IN HEALTHY RECREATION; AND/OR C) SUCH OTHER CHARITABLE PURPOSES BENEFICIAL TO THE COMMUNITY CONSISTENT WITH THE OBJECTS ABOVE AS THE TRUSTEES SHALL IN THEIR ABSOLUTE DISCRETION DETERMINE.

Complain to the Charity Commission that seeking to charge genuine users of its services £100 for minor mistakes and oversights is incompatible with the Trust's charitable objects, even more so because it is done with no regard for "YOUTH, AGE, INFIRMITY OR DISABILITY, POVERTY OR SOCIAL OR ECONOMIC CIRCUMSTANCES".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure