Tesco Complaints dept

Options
After opening a packet of roast potatoes and finding them rotten (ok...they were just over their use by date but I assumed that Tesco quality would be ok for this product), I emailed pics and info to customer care via twitter. I was met with basically being told to bog off due to the date issue, even though these potatoes would have been rotten on opening them on the day and they have basically said that they do not see this as a quality issue because of this. After being told I could not get a refund (I did not request one) and then being told I was basically being silly thinking that people were ignoring my complaint (could I not read a use by date as per my pics?) I am now sending Mr Lewis CEO a full complaint summary with pics to inform him of why he is losing his loyal customers to Aldi etc...if they cant take up such a bad case of gross product quality (maybe they have been inundated with other cases?), I think they deserve to lose valuable customers!

Comments

• marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There really is no complaint here though is there?

You had a product that was past its use by date, and you found it to be inedible? That's not much of a shock. If you had product before the date and found it to be rotten there would be cause for complaint, but the fact you assumed it would be OK and it turned out not to be is not tescos fault.

And you said it was a use by date and not a best before date, that would lead me to think I would be shocked had it not been rotten, although you don't say how far past the date it was when you opened it.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco aren't going to be worried by your complaint. The food was out of date, they aren't to blame. How do they know where you've stored it ? Forget it and move on, it's really not worth it.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    sharonklb wrote: »
    After opening a packet of roast potatoes and finding them rotten (ok...they were just over their use by date but I assumed that Tesco quality would be ok for this product), I emailed pics and info to customer care via twitter. I was met with basically being told to bog off due to the date issue, even though these potatoes would have been rotten on opening them on the day and they have basically said that they do not see this as a quality issue because of this. After being told I could not get a refund (I did not request one) and then being told I was basically being silly thinking that people were ignoring my complaint (could I not read a use by date as per my pics?) I am now sending Mr Lewis CEO a full complaint summary with pics to inform him of why he is losing his loyal customers to Aldi etc...if they cant take up such a bad case of gross product quality (maybe they have been inundated with other cases?), I think they deserve to lose valuable customers!
    I prob would have swapped them for you but I would be thinking you are completely in the wrong...you let them go out of their use by date so really most normal people wouldn't have complained to start with!
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    You lost your case at the bit in bold.

Out of curiosity, how long is 'just over their use by date'?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 December 2015 at 2:04PM
    Options
    How did you store them ?

Another complaint that's not actually not a complaint.

I'm sure Tesco won't miss your custom.
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Always found them great if I have a legitimate complaint.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • Pollycat
    Options
    7roland8 wrote: »
    Always found them great if I have a legitimate complaint.
    It's quite possible the OP would find them great too - if she had a legitimate complaint.....
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    I've read the Twitter conversation, the potatoes were two days out of date, no one told you to bog off nor did they call you silly.

I would suggest you are overreacting. Tesco CS has been more than polite in dealing with your complaint.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    I've read the Twitter conversation, the potatoes were two days out of date, no one told you to bog off nor did they call you silly.

I would suggest you are overreacting. Tesco CS has been more than polite in dealing with your complaint.
    And why doesn't that surprise me at all......? smiley-rolleyes010.gif
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    . . . to inform him of why he is losing his loyal customers to Aldi etc.../QUOTE]

Do you honestly believe that Aldi etc would have accepted responsibility for product which had been out of their control (ie in your transport/kitchen) for so long?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure