Vauxhall Complaints

Options
I purchased a car ('63 plate Corsa) from a Vauxhall dealership in January of this year. Within two months I had to have a new coil pack fitted, but had no further issues until around September. Then the gears became very notchy in 1st, 2nd and reverse, occasionally jumping out of 2nd after a lot of effort to get it there. Also, there was severe scraping under the pedals when turning at low speeds. The clutch also got higher and the car was kangarooing after changing gears.

Took it back to the dealership who had it for a day and then told me "everything looks standard" and "no issues could be found" - they actually tried to convince me that the scraping under my feet was the mat moving and they had "greased the gears"! I said that I was not impressed with their response, but they could not have been less interested.

I then took the car to a local garage for a second opinion. I explained what had happened at the dealership and they were more than happy to take a look. Within 40 minutes they had determined that the strut top mounts were creaking excessively, causing the movement under the pedals. The wheel bearings also had a lot of play, and they agreed that the gears were overly notchy (bearing in mind Corsa's do not have great gears at the best of times), advising that it could be a linkage or selector problem (both of which I had queried with the dealership beforehand, as well as the bushes). They very kindly wrote all of this down and I took it back to the dealership.

Funnily enough, now that I could tell them what was causing the issues, as advised by a mechanic, they were suddenly able to find them! "Oh yes, there is some creaking and scraping. Oh yes, there is some play. The gears are a bit notchy - there's a tweak for that." I expressed that I was extremely unimpressed that these were not determined previously, only to be told "Oh, these are tough ones. We've had to carry out extra tests to find them."! I also mentioned that I don't want any "tweaks"; I want things fixed properly.

Went back to pick up the car to find they've replaced the strut top mounts, one wheel bearing and "adjusted the gear cable". I mentioned the linkage and selector and was told "no, we've tweaked the cable and they're like night and day now". I said I'd take it for a test run and return if I wasn't happy, but was told the technicians were now finished for the day and I'd either have to leave the car and make my own way home, or call and book it in again. Again, I mentioned that I was not happy that this work was not carried out before and was met with the same disinterested nonsense.

Took it for a test drive and - surprise surprise - the gears are exactly the same, if not worse. The car is still kangarooing and the only thing that seems to have improved is the movement under the pedals. The steering now seems a little stiff, too.

Where do I go from here? Obviously I need to take it back for repair (still 2 months on Network Q Warranty and a year on manufacturer's), but I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in the dealership to either establish the issues or correct them. I am disgusted with the blase attitude of the employee who has dealt with me during both instances and of course they are not interested in repairing it as 1. it is under warranty and 2. it was bought outright.

Who should I escalate it to? The dealership? Vauxhall themselves? I just want the thing fixed! ("We want it fixed as much as you do!" said the dealership.)

Comments

• flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Try another dealer? Go in 'blind' and don't mention previous visits elsewhere
  • Taylorette
    Options
    flashg67 wrote: »
    Try another dealer? Go in 'blind' and don't mention previous visits elsewhere

I've also considered this. The nearest dealer after this one is quite a distance away and my recent experience has shown that they are reluctant to provide courtesy cars (had to get taxis there and back). I'll likely do this, but I'm a bit concerned that the same thing will happen again.
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't mean to be offensive when I say this, but how long have you been driving for and has somebody you know driven the car to check that the same happens to them?
  • Taylorette
    Options
    dannyrst wrote: »
    I don't mean to be offensive when I say this, but how long have you been driving for and has somebody you know driven the car to check that the same happens to them?

I understand it looks like I dont know how to drive. Granted I've only been driving frequently for the past year, but have held a license for 7 years and never encountered any issues. Two mechanics at the local garage drove the car and experienced all of the issues I mentioned. A mechanic from the dealership also drove the car with me in it and (miraculously) encountered the same issues. Never had any of the problems until a few months ago.
  • welfayre
    welfayre Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    What do you mean by notchy and by "clutch got higher" do you mean the bite point was further up the pedal?

Also (from memory, happy to be corrected) you can't adjust the gear cables. They run from the gear stick, through a bracket mounted to the gearbox and attach to the gear selector turret. There's no adjustment option like on the old rod style.
  • Taylorette
    Taylorette Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 November 2015 at 4:47PM
    Options
    welfayre wrote: »
    What do you mean by notchy and by "clutch got higher" do you mean the bite point was further up the pedal?

Also (from memory, happy to be corrected) you can't adjust the gear cables. They run from the gear stick, through a bracket mounted to the gearbox and attach to the gear selector turret. There's no adjustment option like on the old rod style.

Notchy - difficult to select. It was the term the mechanic used. I have to wrestle with it to get it into 2nd gear, and occasionally with first and reverse. You can hear it clunking, which is audible with 3rd gear too. Yes, the biting point has moved to near the top of the pedal.

I am unsurprised by your comment on the gear cables as I don't believe a word that comes out of their mouths.

Edited to add: I have just hopped in the car and the scraping under my feet is back again. Passengers can hear and feel it, also.

Edit 2: It's worse than ever. Continuous creaking when turning then when I stop its a popping sort of noise. Also seems to be going through more petrol than usual.
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Taylorette wrote: »
    Notchy - difficult to select. It was the term the mechanic used. I have to wrestle with it to get it into 2nd gear, and occasionally with first and reverse. You can hear it clunking, which is audible with 3rd gear too. Yes, the biting point has moved to near the top of the pedal.

I am unsurprised by your comment on the gear cables as I don't believe a word that comes out of their mouths.

Edited to add: I have just hopped in the car and the scraping under my feet is back again. Passengers can hear and feel it, also.

Edit 2: It's worse than ever. Continuous creaking when turning then when I stop its a popping sort of noise. Also seems to be going through more petrol than usual.

Ring the dealer and let them know that you have had these issues and previously they have been fixed, but all of them have returned.

Ask whether one of the chief mechanics could accompany you on a short drive so you can demonstrate the issues to him. This guarentees that someone who knows what they are doing is aware of what the actual issues are.

Then await to see what he says.
  • Taylorette
    Options
    dannyrst wrote: »
    Ring the dealer and let them know that you have had these issues and previously they have been fixed, but all of them have returned.

Ask whether one of the chief mechanics could accompany you on a short drive so you can demonstrate the issues to him. This guarentees that someone who knows what they are doing is aware of what the actual issues are.

Then await to see what he says.

A mechanic accompanied myself the last time and said he could indeed see/hear/feel the issues and also advised the customer/sales rep that he could. According to the same mechanic the car is now free of issues and the difference is like night and day. Whether or not this was a "chief" mechanic I don't know.

The car was only returned to myself last night so nothing has been fixed at all. I'm concerned that continuing to drive it could possibly be causing more damage.
  • david_a
    david_a Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would suggest taking into the dealership a letter outlining your experiences 1 copy for the service manager and 1 copy for the dealer principal and send an email copy to Network Q. Making sure all parties are aware the others have been informed. For the dealer principal and the service manager I would start the letter saying "I have recently purchased my first Vauxhall from you and would like to share my experience with you....". I would emphasise your disappointment in the way this has been handled,the word unsatisfactory should be included as well, and the lack of courtesy car and the cost and inconvenience that has caused. In all 3 cases I would ask that they contact you to discuss the matter

When the car is next looked at make sure they have a courtesy car available,don't leave it unless they do. Arrange that the service manager or at least a mechanic goes for a test drive both before and after the work is done. Don't let them have the courtesy car back until you are satisfied.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2015 at 4:55PM
    Options
    With respect to the gears, they use a cable (two actually) not a linkage.

My Vectra is a bit notchy going into 1st, you have to push it up/away then across to the right slightly, I have no issue with it, but when other people drive it they try to force it into 1st, which has now damaged the travel limiting notch (just a little plastic rail that stops the gear lever going too far left/right) and made it seem even worse. Even though I've personally adjusted the cables correctly by locking out the gearbox as per procedure.

So it might be that the previous owner kept trying to force it and has damaged that on yours. In which case no amount of adjusting the cables is going to fix it, even if the cables are spot on, because the gear lever can move further left than it should, it'll keep feeling notchy.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure