PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Morris Homes - Good or bad?

Options
Hi, I'm interested in buying a new-build Morris Home off-plan in the Cambridgeshire area and am alarmed by bad reviews of Morris Homes that I've found on the internet. There are clearly several cases of people having very bad experiences, but as with all reviews, it's impossible to know how often these occur compared to people having good experiences that they don't post about.

If you've purchased a Morris home in the last couple of years please would you share your experience: good or bad?

We're two very confused and worried first-time buyers - any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• dirty_magic
    dirty_magic Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I haven't bought a morris home, but I bet if you Google any house builder you'll get a tonne of bad reviews. Like you say, people only tend to publicise bad experiences. There are probably hundreds of people living in Morris homes that they're perfectly happy with.

I'm not a fan of new builds myself, but there are some morris homes being built near us that look nice.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Your paying for the privilege of a new home, once you step in your house will devalue somewhat.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    edited 25 October 2015 at 11:58AM
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Your paying for the privilege of a new home, once you step in your house will devalue somewhat.

I think that is a bit harsh. There is no basis for that whatsoever lol

Before you buy
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-36181101.html

Less than a year later
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54818426.html

Slight variant on the property but from memory very similar asking prices
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2015 at 7:04PM
    Options
    I'm afraid that comparison doesn't fly. The more expensive property is listed as over 1500 sqft, while the cheaper one is 1268 sqft.

The future value depends on so many factors, it's just silly generalizing, but it's a hobby so many new build haters on here seem to have.

I bought a new build around 2 years ago and sold it less than a year later, with a healthy 10k profit and I could have gotten more for it, but priced it for a quick sale. The same property type on the same site is now being marketed for 235k+, 35k more than I paid...

Can't help on the builder review, but if you are on top of the snagging, get a professional in to do it for you, etc., I don't see why there should be huge issues. Just don't let them fob you off...
    Also see if you can talk to the site manager, not the sales staff, and get a feel for his personality. He'll be the one in charge of solving any initial issues that pop up, so if he leaves a bad impression, maybe think again.
  • Jon_B_2
    Jon_B_2 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Got to be honest - i'm a bit fed up with this rhetoric from "experts" who believe everything they read on MSE.

Case in point. Reserved our house in January for £275k.

Same house type in a worse location on our estate has just sold for £285k.

It absolutely depends on a whole host of factors. There are "pre-loved" homes who may drop in value straight after purchase. The fact a house is a new build doesn't mean it will instantly lose value. Market value has many more factors than when a property was built.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Jon_B wrote: »
    Got to be honest - i'm a bit fed up with this rhetoric from "experts" who believe everything they read on MSE.

Case in point. Reserved our house in January for £275k.

Same house type in a worse location on our estate has just sold for £285k.

It absolutely depends on a whole host of factors. There are "pre-loved" homes who may drop in value straight after purchase. The fact a house is a new build doesn't mean it will instantly lose value. Market value has many more factors than when a property was built.

Obviously if you live in London that is different. The quality of new homes are also suspect, just google permission, amongst others.

As an example of new builds being overpriced:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51806737.html?premiumA=true#historyMarket

I am no expert and never professed to be. Where did you get that from? It is a forum and people get a consensus for their answers to questions. Ergo anecdotal solutions or evidence.

While I don't disagree that there are many factors at play, the one thing that is constant is the new build price is way over than older homes generally.

In addition the quality is questionable now a days.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The quality of new homes are also suspect, just google permission, amongst others.

Do you mean "Persimmon"?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • dirty_magic
    dirty_magic Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is arguing over whether you lose money on a new build really helping the OP? They didn't ask whether they'd lose money, they asked for opinions on the quality of Morris homes!

OP I think a lot of the problems people have with new builds are snagging issues, because people expect a new build to be perfect. You could buy an old house and have problems too, so if you like it I wouldn't take much notice.
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Options
    http://forum.snagging.org/morris-homes/

No posts in that section, which could actually be a good sign...

As mentioned, all homes will have issues, new or old. They key element with new build is how the builder deals with these issues, especially for people that aren't able to tackle them themselves.
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems this post got resurrected today - coincidence?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4990274
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport