PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help about fresh eggs and the codes please.

Options
Hi everyone

Following on from a recent thread about eggs. I decided never to eat any but free range (hopefully will have my own hens soon!)

So I just popped off to my local butchers and bought a dozen eggs. I asked if they were free range and he said yes. I paid £1.30 a dozen.

I've just got home and found the code on them is 3 which is caged. Now can someone tell me exactly what that is, is it battery hens??

I will be furious if it is and im going straight back to the shop!!

Please set me straight on this one

Leonie

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is a post that has the codes listed somewhere, I'll see if I can find it, but yes code 3 does mean battery hens. I'd be straight back to the shop too if that were me :mad:

The post I referred to is here.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Curry_Queen, i've been sat here waiting for a reply with my blood boiling!!! What makes it worse is after I asked if there were free range, the next lady bought a dozen and it was probably because I asked!!!

Right now I know for sure, im off back to the shop. :mad:
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good luck!

I recently had the same problem with our local butcher who usually supplies local free range eggs but the last lot I bought from him were coded 3 too and I sent them straight back, much to DS's embarrassment :o
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there Leonie,

Here are the codes from the other thread about 'Value Eggs'.

0 = organic

1 = free range

2 = barn

3 = caged

UK = origin

5 numbers = reference number/location of batch

Go give them a rocket my friend, that's outrageous!

Incidentally, when you get a mo, visit Big Barn, put your post code in and you will find STACKS of great local producers in your area, for good eggs, organic box deliveries, local meat etc.

All the best to you,
    I do love a good bargain!
  • leonie_2
    Options
    Right im back!

Gosh I was shaking with anger, I was hoping the shop was full but only me. Anyway I told him that he sold me the eggs, saying they were free range and he confirmed they were. I replied that they werent as the 3 on the egg means they are battery. He gave me a look and said I was getting confused with sizing.......... my blood boiled!!!

So I said, well i've just rang up the agricultural place and they confirmed they are battery eggs so if you give me your telephone number I can ask them to give you a ring and help you with the codes!!!!!

Anyway then his tone changed and he went on about he was getting confused and he 'thought' they were free range. He gave me my money back and I went on for another few minutes about it being a terrible thing that they were being sold as free range and that whilst I knew, what about the other poor shoppers.

I'm very sad now as I trusted him. I've been buying my meat from there as I assumed that i'd be getting a better, more humanly killed piece of meat, but how can I trust him again. I'll never go in that shop again and im going to tell my neighbours too

Sorry, rant over. Im just appalled that this is allowed to happen.

Oops edited to say, Tracey thankyou for the link. Im in ashby de la zouch but it seems theres no where available to buy eggs. Just a farmers market but thats not until the end of the month. I shall go there. Thankyou
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Leonie, I'm really impressed! You've made my day by having the guts to go back and put them right.

It's a shame you're having to struggle to find really good, humanely produced eggs, I really did think we'd moved on in this country to the extent where everyone would have that choice available to them, but it seems not,

take care, and though your blood was boiling, I hope you allow yourself a smile later at the fact that you went back! :T
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We live in the sticks and there's a farm shop a few miles away, based within a home farm. There's loads of room and the land sprawls out for miles. They advertise fresh eggs so we stopped off to buy half a dozen. Walking through the expansive farmyard we noticed pig sties to the left and enclosed barns to the right, and from within the barns we could hear flapping. When we got to the shop I asked if the eggs were free range and she said they couldn't have free range eggs because there wasn't the room and people are always in and out.

There was loads of bloomin' room! And how hard can it be to ask visitors to beware of the free roaming chickens?!

Anyway, we thanked her and went to the supermarket and got Yorkshire Farmhouse eggs, which are local and free range. These eggs were 99p in Morrisons, but when I went to Tesco a few days later they were £1.19, for the same size. Had I not been able to get Tesco own free range eggs that time for 84p I might have insisted they price match. As it was, I mentioned it to customer services anyway, so hopefully they'll come down by our next visit.

Good for you, though, Leonie, and for holding your ground when he suggested you might be confusing the code with the size. He may have genuinely believed they were free range, but for a butcher to get away with that? Nah.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Well done Leonie - is it a Trading Standards issue, or DOES HE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE?
  • leonie_2
    Options
    Well the going back to the shop was never in question. I always try to stand up for myself and it was a horrible thing to mislead people like that!

I have calmed down now but was so angry earlier that I was wondering about ringing trading standards. Yes he doesn know me as he is your usual butcher type and talks to everyone who goes in. I still feel the same though, I wont set foot in that shop again because if he is able to lie so convincing, what boundries does he work to? Would he be happy selling bad meat????

I am trying to rethink my lifestyle at the moment. I've started growing my own veggies and I try to buy organic where possible. I've also stopped buying cleaning products... vinegar is my friend! My daughter had cancer last year and its made me think more about the environment and the rubbish I put in my body. I am looking into getting a couple of hens and then using the eggs more in cooking and using less meat. Its a long journey but my habits are changing.

I still think I was right earlier by going back to the shop. How can we change for the better when idiots give us false information
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    I think that point you made about your daughter's health is very valid, it's heightened your awareness of your surroundings and the environment. I'd love some chickens but the garden isn't really suitable.
    If it were me I would have done as you did and been happy that I'd made my point, if it was a town centre butcher I think that I would have reported him, it's harder with a local one like yours. Out of interest, it might be worth asking a friend to go in to the shop in a few days time to see if the same happens again....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure