Smart meters - what is the catch?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've just received a letter from my gas and electricity supplier saying "Your home's old meters must be replaced. As part of our obligations, we now need to change your electricity and gas meters". They then say "If your home is suitable, we intend to fit smart meters"

I thought all of this was optional? I've Emailed them asking if I can just do nothing, but does anyone have any views in the meantime?

Currently, if I have smart meter and then want to switch suppliers, there may be problems if the new supplier isn't compatible with the new set up. I'd prefer to leave it a few months to see if the new meters get standardised across suppliers.

From their letter, it's as if they're saying "We need to change the meters anyway, so we may as well go for the Smart one". The reason they are giving for the change is "after years in operation, there is a minor risk that meters may become less reliable". This sounds like a bit of an excuse to try and push their Smart meters.

Can I just ignore them for a few months?
    Of course you can refuse a smart meter. all suppliers are obliged to offer an opt out and your current supplier is breaking the rules by not offering the opt out.
    Any smarts become "dumb " on a supplier switch usually unless , like me , I switched my smart BG meters to dumb with Eon, then back to smart with Sainsburys Energy who are BG in disguise..
    That reminds me to search out my in house display which I stuffed away..It will work again now
    In my view there is little prospect for smart switching for a few years yet
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just wondering if your supplier replaces your meters and gives you little choice but to accept smart ones, so you switch away to render them dumb, what stops the original supplier from continuing to gather and store the data? Of course, there's no immediate benefit to their business to do so, and a small cost incurred, but given that "information is power", how do you know they've switched off the data collection service?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I give way to those with industry knowledge but my understanding is that property owners cannot refuse a meter replacement when it is required on time/safety grounds. You can refuse to accept a smart meter. The clue is in the word 'smart': I see nothing in any of the information that I have read that allows a homeowner to refuse to accept a smart meter operating in dumb mode. Indeed, 'Which' suggests that this is likely to happen with some suppliers. It would make no sense for them to have a shed full of obsolete meters when a smart meter in dumb mode will work just as well. Would Sacsquacco care to comment?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It is true that they replace old meters as I had to have mine changed a few years ago. Big old dial meter that went around was changed for a new meter, one of those little white boxes with LCD screen.

I am sure you can refuse the smart meter, they'll just be trying it on. Just say you just want a normal meter.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some interesting 'snippets' from information provided by LowriBeck to a DECC proposal to roll-out smart meters on an 'install and leave' basis in situations where a WAN connection cannot be achieved immediately. The consumer would still get the benefits of information from the meter even though it was dumb as far as the energy supplier is concerned:

Customers have the right to refuse the installation of a smart meter, and for this and other potential reasons there may be a small number of existing “dumb” meters still in operation in the enduring phase. This means that from 2020 there will be four types of meters in operation:

Smart Metering Conditions for a Successful Roll-Out

• traditional “dumb” meters;

• Advanced Domestic Meters, which do not comply with SMETS1, and do not
    necessarily have the minimum functionality, and of which there may be many types
    with limited interoperability, and which cannot be enrolled and operated via the DCC;

• SMETS 1 meters that have the minimum functionality, but which will not meet the
    final functional standard, and which may not have a compliant communications hub,
    but which will be able to be enrolled, adopted and operated by the DCC; and

• SMETS 2 meters, which will meet the full functionality and will be managed by the
    DCC with a DCC, provided Communications Hub.

As to consumer benefits (i.e.; what you might save)

DECC has looked at a number of sources to try to gauge how consumer behaviour may be changed by having a smart metering system, including an In Home Display (IHD). The IHD is an integral part of the smart metering systems roll-out, and research indicates that having immediately available and easily understood information that is constantly viewed by the consumer is an important aspect in changing behaviour.

DECC has assumed the following percentage reductions in energy use when the smart metering system is installed:

Electricity 2.8% Gas 2.0%

However, for gas customers with a prepayment meter, the energy saving is assumed to be only 0.5%.

The expected benefits that consumers may achieve from installing a smart meter have recently been called into question by complaints in the press that British Gas has made unsupportable claims in its communications with its customers9. British Gas had suggested that customers could make savings of “up to £75” per annum, when the results from its own survey indicated that the average saving per customer was only £21 a year. This was also compared unfavourably to a claim made by British Gas a year earlier that the average British household would save over £65 per year.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I give way to those with industry knowledge but my understanding is that property owners cannot refuse a meter replacement when it is required on time/safety grounds. You can refuse to accept a smart meter. The clue is in the word 'smart': I see nothing in any of the information that I have read that allows a homeowner to refuse to accept a smart meter operating in dumb mode. Indeed, 'Which' suggests that this is likely to happen with some suppliers. It would make no sense for them to have a shed full of obsolete meters when a smart meter in dumb mode will work just as well. Would Sacsquacco care to comment?
    Smart meters are quite expensive compared to, say , LeeUks cheap little Ampy ( or Landys and Gyr ) meter at approx £20 each. I don t think giving the occupier a promise that " we won t switch it on trust me " would work. I would nt accept their word on it if I was an avid anti smart person.
    LeeUK..your little white meter will go blank at sometime and lose all its readings. I m surprised they don t stop using them with all the trouble they cause.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    Smart meters are quite expensive compared to, say , LeeUks cheap little Ampy ( or Landys and Gyr ) meter at approx £20 each. I don t think giving the occupier a promise that " we won t switch it on trust me " would work. I would nt accept their word on it if I was an avid anti smart person.
    LeeUK..your little white meter will go blank at sometime and lose all its readings. I m surprised they don t stop using them with all the trouble they cause.

It's been in about 7 years now and it still shows the reading.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's been in about 7 years now and it still shows the reading.
    Apparantly they blow something when any sort of backsurge is in the area, including lightning. I find at least one a week on average blank.the smart electric meter is much better Lee, you can see how much yesterdays leccy has cost you in hard cash ! Once they are blank its a case of " use as much as you like " because they will estimate on past usage.I ve got them on my rounds many years blank.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    Apparantly they blow something when any sort of backsurge is in the area, including lightning. I find at least one a week on average blank.the smart electric meter is much better Lee, you can see how much yesterdays leccy has cost you in hard cash ! Once they are blank its a case of " use as much as you like " because they will estimate on past usage.I ve got them on my rounds many years blank.

I used 3 units yesterday @ 12p per unit....
  • walkon
    walkon Posts: 122 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2015 at 2:39AM
    Options
    I can't believe that some members on here are pushing these bad and dangerous to health, smart meters.

You must see this site and read what smart meters can do to your health.

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/
    http://stopsmartmeters.org/

Smart meters emit EMF and will effect your health. The will not save you any money and cost the tax payer more with this unnecessary roll out.

Smart meter will be big brother on your home and spy on you.

Smart meters will be used to tax you more with green taxes and I am certain, the corrupt government will charge you more for peak off peak times.

Come home after work at 5pm and want to put the cooker, kettle on. Then expect to pay more.

Smart meters should not be compulsory like some of you are pushing and there is no law that says you must have one. I will never have a smart meter and have told my suppler that.

My health is more important than some EMF emitting smart meter and so is my privacy.

Smart meter are a dumb thing to have in your home. Don't be dumb, don't get a smart meter!

The Dark Side of 'Smart' Meters
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLeCTaSG2-U
    Say No to smart meters!
    Search for, stopsmartmeters . org
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business