Miserly Costa Coffee Club card!

Options
Tofu_eater
Tofu_eater Posts: 86 Forumite
edited 30 July 2015 at 2:02AM in Praise, vent & warnings
With the Costa card you are given 5 points for each pound you spend and each point has a value of 1p. My usual coffee I buy there costs me £2.85 (yes,yes I know it's expensive but hopefully people will not judge or feel the need to berate me),so,as the card will only give me five points for every whole pound I spend in one transaction I have been getting 10 points per purchase.This means that I would have to buy 29 coffees to get a free one, that means I would have to spend over £80!!!Also I recently discovered to my disappointment that the offers which were e-mailed to me to collect double points by buying certain coffees at certain times didn't work when I tried to take advantage of them,upon asking while in the shop I was told that 'the points would probably show the next month' and after waiting a long time I had to find a phone number and ring up about this until finally they added some points on for me.It won't stop me using Costa but I will be cancelling the coffee club card as I would prefer to have one less 'club' type of card in my wallet to have to think about if I'm going to get such a small reward and if the offers aren't going to work

Comments

• Tuareg
    Tuareg Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    People bit*h about Starbucks but their loyalty card gives you free shots and extra's including a free whatever you want drink every 12/15 drinks.

I got a single expresso from Costa and they'll tip the other half down the sink unless you pay 55p? for it rather than give it to you. Talk about bloody minded. I avoid Costa like the plague.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'll stick with my Caffe Nero card. Free drink every nine and I'm currently earning my stamps free courtesy of O2 so not actually paying for coffee.

I do have a Costa card but tend to ignore my balance until and use it when I don't have cash in my pocket and want a coffee.

Won't touch Starbucks with a bargepole, awful coffee and despise them thinking I have to give my name to order a coffee.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    tykesi wrote: »
    I'll stick with my Caffe Nero card. Free drink every nine and I'm currently earning my stamps free courtesy of O2 so not actually paying for coffee.

I do have a Costa card but tend to ignore my balance until and use it when I don't have cash in my pocket and want a coffee.

Won't touch Starbucks with a bargepole, awful coffee and despise them thinking I have to give my name to order a coffee.
    Exactly!

There's a Starbucks in the lobby of my office building but I only go there when a) they give me a special offer flyer or b) I'm outvoted by colleagues.

Caffe Nero is the better deal but they don't do a flat white, so I will divert to Costa now and then. Actually, it depends on whether I need to go to the Post Office or Cashpoint or whatever and which is on the way... Loyalty? No such thing...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • BlueEyedGirl
    BlueEyedGirl Posts: 1,753 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I like Costa especially over Starbucks and so for me the points add up, especially if I buy lunch in a Costa. I also like Cafe Nero as well, but that's only when I am out and about in town which is very rare these days!
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get 16 Costa Americanos for just over £4. In the comfort of my own home. I love my Tassimo.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2015 at 10:35AM
    Options
    Haha a coffee for 2.85! Absolute mugging right there. You can buy 15 coffees for the same price, AND get some tesco club card points AND have 18p change! :cool:

bJ1a00i.png

That isn't judging or berating, simply stating a fact about how costa coffee is priced in comparison to other alternatives. Costa's coffee is probably nicer and more overpriced, and that is your decision to make!

In regards to the club loyalty scheme, but it sounds absolutely dire. You are already paying over the odds for a cup of coffee, so this dilutes the value of your club points. If you frequent Costa then you might as well keep the club card as it does give you extra stuff, but it seems to be quite a poor scheme overall. 29 cups before you get a free one?! In McD you can get a free one after you've bought 5! Or bypass them all and buy some sachets like the above ones! Same caffeine hit, just filled with slightly more crap.

And the double points bonus sounds like one of those really common situations whereby the head office do one thing (offer double points) but don't tell the employees on the till about the offer. If you are eligible then they *should* go onto your balance, but you probably won't be able to query it with anyone on the till for the fact that they probably don't even know about the offer! Bad times for the employees.

EDIT: Are you by any chance from London? That place is the capital of coffee shops selling overpriced coffee (and people buying it regularly)!! Not to knock you for going to Costa Coffee regularly, by my god how much it must cost you in a month/year! :p
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    You forgot to add that your points expire after a while.. Apart from their occasional giveaways its a pretty poor scheme
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    I get 16 Costa Americanos for just over £4. In the comfort of my own home. I love my Tassimo.

Price does fluctuate, but you can get them for £3 a pack on Amazon - sold as 5 for £15.

You can get alerts when the Price drops using camelcamelcamel.co.UK
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    McDonald's is buy 6 get one free
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I like Costa and Nero best, but I don't go there for the points.

However, since I have Aviva and O2, Nero is definitely the favourite at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure