So I'll be losing my virgin.net e-mail address ...

Options
I learnt from MSE (not from Virgin Media) of the effective cancellation of Virgin e-mail.

I am not a customer of VM but have a long-standing virgin.net e-mail address dating from the time I used Virgin dial-up. Recently I have been using my own domain for new e-mail, yet still use the virgin.net address for most existing relationships. I will need to change those or cancel them off.

I assume I can automatically forward incoming messages to my new address and then decide on appropriate action. Is that the best way to arrange things or is there another way of organising things?

I could probably ditch most of the old messages and only regret things if I need to refer to an old message ...

Thanks for your advice.

(Apologies for raising a new thread. I couldn't find another thread relevant to e-mail.)

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 23 July 2015 at 10:06AM
    Options
    Virgin email isn't being cancelled??

they are moving to a new service not google

Hello,Your email service is about to get a mini-makeover. This email will tell you what’s happening, how it affects you and what to do next.You might not know, but we worked hand-in-hand with Google to provide your email service. But now, they can no longer help us do this. So we’ve created our own. We’re looking forward to bringing you an even better service, jam-packed with more innovations over time.

What’s happening
    Over the next three months, we’ll move from our old Google-based service to an all-new, and improved Virgin Media email service.But don’t worry, all your old emails and contacts will be transferred over, safe and sound. Your email address and password will stay exactly the same too.In fact, if you use our Webmail service, the main thing that’ll change is how the email service looks. Instead of the familiar Google layout, you’ll see our simple new Virgin Media email layout.Sending, receiving and managing your emails on the new system will be a doddle. But it’s a good idea to get up to speed on all the changes and see how the new service looks by visiting virginmedia.com/emailswitch.

What to do next
    We’ll be making the switch automatically over a 3 month period, so stand by to see your new look email service soon.In the meantime, here’s what to do next:-Check you’ve got the most up to date version of your browser (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari etc), to access our new Webmail service hiccup-free.-Unfortunately Google Talk won’t be available on the new email service - if you love keeping in touch this way, it’s easy to set up a new Google account and register for the Google Hangouts chat service. -If you had filters or rules set up to help you manage your email, you’ll need to set these up again on the new service after the move. -If you access any other mailboxes through your Virgin Media Mail, using services like Mail Fetcher or POP aggregation, you’ll need to set this up again after the move too.All set? You’ll have the new email service at your fingertips soon.And remember, just visit virginmedia.com/emailswitch to make sure you’re all set for the big day.Happy emailing,
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 July 2015 at 10:22AM
    Options
    Virgin email isn't being cancelled??

they are moving to a new service not google
    Brilliant! Thanks very much.

Just wondering why I hadn't seen that info before - presumably because I'm not a VM customer and I didn't see that info at MSE. I can relax now.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lets hope it goes as smooth as they say, after the "Im not a Robot", & the ongoing Google/Virgin conflict, invalid request rubbish that is plaguing the system, especially for Android users. Ill keep my fingers crossed.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »
    I am not a customer of VM but have a long-standing virgin.net e-mail address dating from the time I used Virgin dial-up. Recently I have been using my own domain for new e-mail, yet still use the virgin.net address for most existing relationships. I will need to change those or cancel them off.

I assume I can automatically forward incoming messages to my new address and then decide on appropriate action. Is that the best way to arrange things or is there another way of organising things?
    I have a similar old virgin.net address, which I set up years ago to forward any email to my own domain email. I wonder if this update will 'break' the forwarding?
    Stompa
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Brilliant! Thanks very much.

Just wondering why I hadn't seen that info before - presumably because I'm not a VM customer and I didn't see that info at MSE. I can relax now.

Was emailed to me. about 6 times as it happens
  • Roger1
    Options
    Was emailed to me. about 6 times as it happens
    Well, that's 6x more than me.

I'm wiser thanks to you.
  • Roger1
    Options
    Well, well. I've been doing some more searching and have come across this:
    (from http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/national/email.html)
    If you're switching to TalkTalk, then don’t worry – nothing’s going to change for quite a while. In actual fact, you’ll be able to view your Virgin Media Mail on the web and in email clients like Outlook for a whole year after you join TalkTalk. And even if you decide to switch to another provider, we'll still keep your email in full working order for 90 days after you leave us.

In the meantime, if you’ve only ever used Virgin Media for email, you might want to think about setting up a new email address. TalkTalk offers up to 5 email addresses, which you can easily set up by registering or logging into your new TalkTalk account online once you’ve switched. Or you can set one up with Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, Gmail…whatever works best for you.

Once that’s done, save any important emails onto your computer, move your contacts across to your new email account (this is actually a lot easier than it sounds), then let everyone know what your new email address is, such as friends, family, banks and other service providers – basically anyone you deal with online.

Just to be clear, at the end of the 12 month or 90-day period after you switch, you’ll no longer be able to send or receive emails from your Virgin Media email address.
    (My bolding.)
    That sounds pretty clear to me. As I feared, my @virgin.net address will disappear at some date or other.

The discussion above about servers looks like a red herring and has nothing to do with losing or retaining e-mail addresses.

As I am not a current VM customer, it seems unlikely that I would be transferred to TalkTalk - and even if I did, I wouldn't want that except if I could retain my @virgin.net address, which I can't.

So back to my OP, is there a way of accessing VM mail after 90 days, and can I forward incoming messages beyond 90 days? If anybody knows a way, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just to be clear, at the end of the 12 month or 90-day period after you switch, you’ll no longer be able to send or receive emails from your Virgin Media email address.

Virgin Media have given you the answer already
  • Roger1
    Options
    Thanks.

I was really hoping for advice on this part of my OP, also if I can somehow archive existing messages:

I could probably ditch most of the old messages and only regret things if I need to refer to an old message ...

It's a pity they can't/won't tell me when they will stop.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Options
    I was really hoping for advice on this part of my OP, also if I can somehow archive existing messages
    I've not tried it, but I wonder if you could simply import them into a new Gmail account using option 2 here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56283?hl=en
    Stompa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family