We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Weeds and moss on driveway

Options
aj9648
aj9648 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Any tips of how best to get rid of weeds, plants and moss on driveway. Tried a few off the shelf sprays but not worked.

Someone told me about sweeping sand into it to prevent regrowth?

Thanks

Comments

• Ash_McCloud
    Ash_McCloud Posts: 21,412 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    What material is the driveway made from.. tarmac, concrete, gravel, flags?

What have you tried so far? Off the shelf weedkiller sprays should kill the weeds and grass. You'll need moss killer for the moss though.
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And you still have to get rid of the debris left behind by the dead material. I've got a large red brick drive and it's never ending. I use a shaped wire brush to clear between the bricks, spray again with weed killer to make sure, then put sand down and brush it between them. But the weeds still come back through the sand. My dad bought some expensive stuff you put between the bricks and it sets solid. He's had no weeds come back since. Maybe search google?
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I use path clear made up in a watering can and pour it on driveway. I have used the sprays previously but weeds grew back. I have Tarmac and block paving. We had no weeds at all last year. I gave just treated this year and so far the weeds are dead or dying. I also used jeyes fluid on the Tarmac were we has moss, it has never returned.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rev229 wrote: »
    I also used jeyes fluid on the Tarmac were we has moss, it has never returned.

Jeyes is dangerous to cats which can absorb it through the pads on their feet.

This won't bother the cat haters on this forum, but others might care to know.
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Dave, I didn't know that and often use jeyes to wash down the greenhouse. I'll make sure I don't let the cat near it if I do it again
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pathckear , which lasts for months or a flame gun.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fay wrote: »
    Thanks Dave, I didn't know that and often use jeyes to wash down the greenhouse. I'll make sure I don't let the cat near it if I do it again

I would look at how long it takes to decompose, which might not be too long considering sensible dilution rates.

I won't let my cats into the polytunnel anyway, for obvious reasons. One generally understands this and reluctantly obeys. The other needs more aversion therapy from the sprinkler! :rotfl:
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I would look at how long it takes to decompose, which might not be too long considering sensible dilution rates.

I won't let my cats into the polytunnel anyway, for obvious reasons. One generally understands this and reluctantly obeys. The other needs more aversion therapy from the sprinkler! :rotfl:

Animals and children should be kept off until it is completely dry.

I used it regularly to disinfect the dogs toilet area in the garden- I love the smell - but kept the dogs off until it was dry and never had any problems.
  • aj9648
    aj9648 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks

I'll give path clear a go
  • paulsad
    paulsad Posts: 1,315 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sympathies I'm in same boat - I'm sure the weedkillers nowadays are pants - tried loads and the weeds just seem to bathe in them stuff in the old days was far more effective but it probably contained sulphuric acid or sommat!
    Bought one of them weedburner thingies in the end and nuke the barstewards regularly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure