We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Weeds and moss on driveway

Options
2»

Comments

• Scorpion9
    Options
    I've had the same problem with our block paving drive. It's a real pain!

What we've just done is to pressure wash the drive and it looks far, far better. There are still some weeds left so I'll need to get rid of them manually.

The next step is to brush kiln dried sand over it to replace the lost sand, filling the gaps. That'll make it look better and also reduce the scope for weeds to settle in cracks.

I had wondered about then using a sealant, but to get a decent one isn't cheap - maybe £200 to do our drive. They can also change the colour, which I don't really want.

So what I may do is just leave it at that, without sealing, and then seeing what can be done to reduce the number of weeds.

Weedkiller nowadays isn't as strong as it used to be, but I may still try an application of PathClear or something similar a couple of times a year, starting before weeds have taken hold.

The other tip I've read is to brush your drive occasionally. Most of the weeds are seeds that land on the surface and settle in dirt that's been allowed to accumulate between the gaps. So if you sweep regularly then you remove seeds and also much of the dirt that seeds would grow in.

Anyway - I'm going to see how that goes before going down the sealant route.

There's a good site on it all called PavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport