Moneyextra Portfolio

Options
frugalmacdugal
frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 13 April 2015 at 6:56PM in Savings & investments
Hi,

just a wee alert for those who might have a portfolio set up with Moneyextra.

We are sorry to announce that as of the 30th April 2015 we will be closing down the Moneyextra portfolio section of the site.

Does anyone know of a site with a similar portfolio facility where you can customise layout?

I've had a look at Ft and Digital Look, but too cluttered.

Comments

• chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not overly surprised - at times over the last few months it's responded so slowly that I thought it already was closed down ;)

Since I keep my records in Excel and only need the current/closing prices in a format I can copy/paste, I guess I'll just have to use Google Finance instead. Pity that it only gives the mid prices instead of both the bid and offer ones but it'll be close enough for my needs.
  • Sparky47
    Sparky47 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    That's a shame, I have been using that portfolio for years and it is a very clear layout that suits my needs perfectly.

I have one setup on FT as a backup but the layout is not so good.

I have tried Google finance but half the funds I hold either can't be found or don't update.
  • frugalmacdugal
    edited 13 April 2015 at 7:44PM
    Options
    Hi,

yes, I liked the clear layout as well, and as said, could customise which columns to add.

Moneyextra Portfolio - Important Information

We are sorry to announce that as of the 30th April 2015 we will be closing down the Moneyextra portfolio section of the site

We apologise for an inconvenience this may cause, however there are other free tools available online, which include the following (MoneyExtra have no affiliation or control over these sites and others are available):
    We would like to thank you for support over the years and again apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards

The Moneyextra Team
  • banjodog
    banjodog Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Does that include the phone app?
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,
    chris_m wrote: »
    Since I keep my records in Excel and only need the current/closing prices in a format I can copy/paste, I guess I'll just have to use Google Finance instead. Pity that it only gives the mid prices instead of both the bid and offer ones but it'll be close enough for my needs.

This is Money and Trustnet give bid/offer.

I've tried both portfolio tools but don't like the layout, looks too bulky.
  • Porcupine
    Porcupine Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    Google Docs allows you to get lots of info via the GOOGLEFINANCE function - see the list of options. For instance, to get a historical close price of Woodford Equity:

=INDEX(GOOGLEFINANCE("MUTF_GB:CF_WOOD_EQUI_1LSHWZP";"close";"01/04/2015");2;2)

You can use this to build your own portfolio tracker very simply with live price updates - and no awkward menus to change things, it's just a spreadsheet.

The only downside as mentioned is that some funds aren't there or are wrong, but for me there's only a couple.
  • banjodog
    banjodog Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    How am I supposed to know the Fund symbol to enter in Google Finance?
  • frugalmacdugal
    edited 15 April 2015 at 3:33PM
    Options
    Hi,

you can find it here,

example: scroll down to prices, it gives various symbols.
  • Sparky47
    Sparky47 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    banjodog wrote: »
    How am I supposed to know the Fund symbol to enter in Google Finance?

Google don't seem to use the normal symbols shown in Trustnet but you can just start entering the fund name in the box and it will come up with a list of options.

In the example by frugalmacdugal the Woodford Equity Income Fund A Acc comes up with the following symbol:
    MUTF_GB:CF_WOOD_EQUI_1LSHWZP
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Google Docs allows you to get lots of info via the GOOGLEFINANCE function - see the list of options. For instance, to get a historical close price of Woodford Equity:

=INDEX(GOOGLEFINANCE("MUTF_GB:CF_WOOD_EQUI_1LSHWZP";"close";"01/04/2015");2;2)

Thank you ever so much for that post. I was planning to write a spreadsheet this weekend to replace MoneyExtra Portfolio which I have used for many years. Your post has probably saved me several hours of research/experimentation!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure