Harveys Furniture 10% compensation

Options
On 31 December last year my elderly parents ordered in-store and paid in £1000 full for a chair and settee, delivery and insurance.

Three failed deliveries later they finally managed to get the goods at the fourth attempt.

At no time during the failed delivery times did Harveys contact my parents to say there was a problem(s).

At the time of the failed deliveries it emerged that the furniture wasn't even in stock.

I made around 20 calls to Harveys during this time in an effort to find out what was going on. They were good at listening but not once did they actually call back after saying they would do so.

After the goods were finally delivered I called them to complain and was told we would get a delivery charge refund and £100 because it was 10% of the total.

When I asked if I would get £200 for a £2000 order the answer was yes as it was 10%

For one missed delivery it's still 10%.

They do not take into account the number of failures, just the initial order value.

My question is: is £100 the going rate for 3 missed deliveries?

I have read the template late delivery letter and am not sure if it is three separate breaches of contract or one.

Any advice would be gratefuly received.

Steve

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What costs have your parents actually incurred and were all of the failures due to no stock (or other reasons that were within their control)?

If your parents havent actually incurred any losses due to their breaches then I'm afraid you're dependent on their goodwill.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Stevie102
    Options
    I figured that would be the case but what confuses me is the 10% rule. It doesn't seem fair or logical to compensate based on purchase price and not the actual disruption caused.

One failure occurred after them saying the chair was out of stock but they would deliver the settee - they didn't

One was after saying the chair and settee were in stock - but neither were

The final missed delivery was blamed on problems with their new delivery system.

The only actual cost incurred was the cost of 20-ish phone calls my parents and me made trying to get to the bottom of it all.

Many thanks,

Steve
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Stevie102 wrote: »
    I figured that would be the case but what confuses me is the 10% rule. It doesn't seem fair or logical to compensate based on purchase price and not the actual disruption caused.

One failure occurred after them saying the chair was out of stock but they would deliver the settee - they didn't

One was after saying the chair and settee were in stock - but neither were

The final missed delivery was blamed on problems with their new delivery system.

The only actual cost incurred was the cost of 20-ish phone calls my parents and me made trying to get to the bottom of it all.

Many thanks,

Steve

Take the £200 and move on....
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • enfield_freddy
    Options
    or even £100 + the delivery charge , as in this case
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Take the £200 and move on....

I am sure he would take the £200 and move on ,but he has only been offered £100!
  • enfield_freddy
    Options
    + the delivery charge
  • Stevie102
    Options
    The delivery was £59 but no matter. I'm going to accept the £100 + delivery and draw a line.
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    It's a good outcome, well done.

There doesn't need to be any logic to how they choose to offer compensation.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Stevie102
    Options
    Thank somethingcorporate, your signature is very apt and something I will bear in mind :)
    Steve
  • Stevie102
    Options
    Just been in touch to accept and they say they have no idea where the delivery refund came from and I must have misunderstood.

The store told me I would get a delivery refund AND compensation. The store sent notes of all my visits and calls to Customer Services but did not mention figures.

It's £100 full and final offer.

Better than nothing but frustrating when the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure