Silly student debt diary

Options

Comments

• greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So I have decided to accept the payment, and think about the mortgage for the future. I've done some research and it definitely seems feasible. I think the route would be for my partner and I to get a mortgage together for 50% of the house price. We would add our own deposit, however my Dad would add in 50% of the house price as deposit too. For example, if the house was £300k we could save £15k and be able to put down a deposit of £165k, and then sign an agreement that he owns 50% of the property, the non-mortgaged part.

In terms of the money now I have emailed him my details but I don't know if it will come true, if it will happen etc so I am going to have to just keep going as I am and not rely on it or overspend based on it turning up or anything.

Gah, it's exciting but it's nerve-wracking. I just hope it doesn't come tumbling down.
  • AleMrsT
    AleMrsT Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    Good for you, it sounds like a good plan. Fingers crossed it all works out brilliantly for you, of course keep up the good work with the money saving, and I hope you'll stick around on the diary to keep us updated on the deposit saving progress and the journey until you receive the funds from your dad :)
  • greensalad
    edited 27 January 2015 at 10:42PM
    Options
    AleMrsT wrote: »
    Good for you, it sounds like a good plan. Fingers crossed it all works out brilliantly for you, of course keep up the good work with the money saving, and I hope you'll stick around on the diary to keep us updated on the deposit saving progress and the journey until you receive the funds from your dad :)

Yep I will be!

Finally got a letter of agreement from Akinika, who have taken over from SLC with my debt (I'm actually really happy about that. The SLC as a bunch of witless idiots. At least a debt collector will actually communicate with me) saying they agree to my payment plan. Obviously my letter in this post did well! And it proves that you do not have to fill in their silly little expenditure forms as long as you offer a reasonable settlement.

Only thing that worries me is they show a different amount to what I believe I owe. I am expecting some sort of admin fee has been added, which I will fight if I need to (I contacted them before they even contacted me to sort it out so that should be a mark in my favour). I am just about to write them an email asking for a breakdown of costs before anything goes though. They say my first payment is due mid Feb but I'm going to be paying it tomorrow as I have my own schedule in mind (every payday essentially) and I don't want to be stuck on their schedule and wait two weeks. Would rather get it done.

Tomorrow is payday so I have my plan laid out. I've had to order a new PIN for my natwest account I was planning to use. So hey I might have to have some no-spends over the next week as I have no card to use! I'm less likely to spend actually because I'll have to withdraw cash to last me and not get any more than that.
  • greensalad
    Options
    Pay day woo!

£116 paid off :)

Bills paid, grocery shopping money paid, rest of money ready and waiting for flights, spa day and then the rest for budgeting.

Waiting until my new PIN arrives before I transfer any money over into my Natwest for spending.

I'll run the week Wednesday to Wednesday, so essentially only putting enough in my Natwest to last me until next Wednesday.
  • greensalad
    edited 28 January 2015 at 11:11AM
    Options
    Oops and forgot I had set aside money for my Mum.

Another £120 paid off :)

Also the first lot of eBaying I did last month finally cleared in PayPal, I used it to buy the fabric for my new coat. I had to use £20 from my own money to add to it. But still, 3 metres of cashmere coating for £20 and several hours of entertainment coming my way.

Two more auctions finished last night. Should get £35 for those when they clear in mid February.

Music Magpie was picked up yesterday so I've got a cheque coming in the next few weeks. Also Zapper for all my books will be a really good cashout but I still can't carry it down the highstreet on my own! Maybe my friend will be able to help me when she comes down tomorrow, she's strong! I'm already having to get her to help me with all the rubbish because I'm pretty sure there is a homeless person living in my bin store and I'm too scared to go down there on my own.
  • AleMrsT
    AleMrsT Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    I must really sort my books cds and DVDs and send them off to zapper and music magpie to get some money back, they're just boxed up in the loft!

Yay for pay day. :T
  • greensalad
    Options
    AleMrsT wrote: »
    I must really sort my books cds and DVDs and send them off to zapper and music magpie to get some money back, they're just boxed up in the loft!

Yay for pay day. :T

The DVDs don't get a lot (about 20-30p each) but we have a ridiculous TV now so I am banned from DVDs (BF won't buy anything not Bluray and our DVD shelf you can't even fit DVD cases on!) so I'm pleased with that.

Books I was very impressed with though. The average fiction books don't get much at all, and some they won't even accept, but there were some that were worth upwards of £5 each! The more obscure stuff seems to do well. BF got a Kindle for Christmas so isn't bothered by most of his old fiction any more. I have still kept a lot but got rid of some old web design and graphic design books because I just don't read them enough any more. I managed to clear a whole shelf and replace it with my cocktail glass collection :D
  • greensalad
    edited 29 January 2015 at 11:18AM
    Options
    Spaaa day. I'm only in work this morning. Cycling back at lunch and then my friend is coming to pick me up and off we go! Spa day and lunch is paid for, Mum has given me money for my treatment as my birthday present, food in the fridge for when we get home so we're all set :)

Also booked my Munich flights for my holiday to Oktoberfest. £150, not too shabby :)

Got a conference call on Monday with two people who are interested in some web development work, lets see how it goes.
  • greensalad
    edited 2 February 2015 at 10:24AM
    Options
    Oh dear well I definitely let myself get carried away this weekend what with birthday stuff. I didn't keep to my proper spending plan and went and bought some silly stuff :( But now I'm back on the wagon, even if I have filled up one of my credit cards nearly :(

So here's a Monday review for the one day of February we've had! £222, ouch!

£85 Home Electronics - or paying BF back for the TV we bought last month (which I love, and don't feel bad about at all)
    Dining and Drinking £24.70 - Actually considering I had 7 people stay this weekend and we went out a fair bit I am not sorry, this isn't too bad at all.
    Admin £33.35 - I had to issue a refund and ship some stuff from eBay
    Alcohol £27.98 - This is naughty. I went out with my Japanese boss and she helped me choose some sake. It is so nice, and everyone loved it when they came over, but it was naughty to spend this much.
    Snacks £7.30 - Bought a bagel with my friends on Saturday morning
    Hairdressers £44 - Well it's expensive (but have you tried getting a hairdresser for cheaper than £30 nowadays? And it's only every 8 weeks to keep it cheaper).

So overall some big spends but what can you do. Today is a new day. Fast day for me so I will go buy an apple at lunch and we have salmon for dinner. I should be able to scrape together enough for the apple from the change in purse, so lets call it a NSD ;)

Got a conference call after work to discuss a possible big job so lets hope that goes well.

Frugal February has begun! Valentines Day dinner, then going to London with a friend (for which I need to spend about £25) and that's it.
  • greensalad
    edited 9 February 2015 at 10:50AM
    Options
    I've been so bad at updating recently haven't I!

Not much t say. I had a £92 water bill out of the blue which dented my debt-repay savings a bit, but I've still paid off parts of my CC, SLC and OD this month. Transferred all my money to my Natwest account so I can keep some money back from my Barclays OD this month. Don't think I'll manage to clear it this month but I think I will at least make a dent!

Dad seems to have gone quiet on the idea after I accepted the offer. All talk sadly, I should've known. Well, I did know. Which is exactly why I carried on paying off my debts because I always knew that nothing he says comes true. Sigh. It would've been great!

Also got hit by a bit of a blow in that I sent a cheque to the debt recovery agent for my SLC debt and they never cashed it, and I didn't realise. So I've ended up paying my £116 pay-off twice for Feb, and it's eaten massively into what I had. But hey, at least I won't need to pay it next month.

Really need to get some of this work closed up so I can charge for it as I've eaten into my tax savings to pay the water bill. Urgh. All gone very wrong this month!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure