Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • mirry
    • By mirry 15th Jul 07, 1:33 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 7,856 Thanks
    mirry
    • 15th Jul 07, 1:33 PM
    • 15th Jul 07, 1:33 PM
    thank you so much, my dish washer is sitting broken for the past 8 months ,I cant afford to fix it so will check this out .
    • bones61
    • By bones61 15th Jul 07, 1:55 PM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 7,998 Thanks
    bones61
    • 15th Jul 07, 1:55 PM
    • 15th Jul 07, 1:55 PM
    dont need this .. yet (would like to hope never will)
    but saved to favorites just in case
  • john_kent
    • 15th Jul 07, 3:35 PM
    • 15th Jul 07, 3:35 PM
    Just had alook through and found a part number for a freezer motor I needed.
  • mg16458
    • 15th Jul 07, 4:12 PM
    • 15th Jul 07, 4:12 PM
    thanks for this , have bookmarked the site for later use.
    • Jennie
    • By Jennie 15th Jul 07, 4:14 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 6,300 Thanks
    Jennie
    • 15th Jul 07, 4:14 PM
    • 15th Jul 07, 4:14 PM
    Cool site and really useful. Thank you!!
    Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will.
    • bones61
    • By bones61 15th Jul 07, 4:32 PM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 7,998 Thanks
    bones61
    • 15th Jul 07, 4:32 PM
    • 15th Jul 07, 4:32 PM
    damski, great timing.
    just had someone from another site asking how to fix a cd player problem so gave 'em your link
    • cocoluvsmummy
    • By cocoluvsmummy 16th Jul 07, 6:00 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    cocoluvsmummy
    • 16th Jul 07, 6:00 PM
    • 16th Jul 07, 6:00 PM
    wow timing, my cooker just went pop
    this site says its my element
  • Jedster
    • 16th Jul 07, 11:05 PM
    • 16th Jul 07, 11:05 PM
    I've just helped someone fix their washing machine

I'm always glad to be of service
    Living the Dream...............

Every little helps
    • quoia
    • By quoia 17th Jul 07, 2:51 AM
    • 13,145 Posts
    • 141,570 Thanks
    quoia
    I need to recommend the following website after I was having problems with my dishwasher

10 minutes after following the advice on this site, my dishwasher is up and running smoothly again

www.fixed4free.com

no need to register and no cost involved

firmly put into my favorites for the future

damski
    Originally posted by damski
    Whilst there may be some very good gems of wisdom on here, please be very very careful before following any of it.

I've just had a search for a few things and looked at the questions posted and answers given.

Firstly, looked for WM and BEARINGS - this is the Hotpoint range of washing machines and I know from experience that the bearings are an issue.

Of the 12 to 15 I looked at, with just 1 exception (which was truthful advice on removing a specific nut & pulley), all the others basically said , don't do it yourself, you need special tools, call an engineer - expect to pay £100 to £150, a nightmare, not for the novice, etc. etc.

Well I'm a novice, I didn't have any special tools, it wasn't nightmare (IT WAS QUITE DIFFICULT never having done it before) but I did it for £6 (cost of the bearings & seals) when the engineer wanted £95 because it would take him 90 minutes to 2 hours.
    It took me just over 4 hours - although whilst in bits I fully cleaned the tub and drum and door seal and most hoses and soap drawer from all the build up of powder/scum/dirt/mould etc. - something the engineer wouldn't have done.
    One of the answers even said "We do it for £XXX" and included his phone number so watch out for traders selling their wares.

Secondly I had a look at MONDEO, found an answer to a problem that was potentially very dangerous, likely to make matters much worse and make any costs involved in repairs spiral to 10, 20 , maybe even 100 times what they would have been before following the advice given.

Thirdly, having had a quick look around some of the general TV fault responses, I'd rate most of them as TOTAL PANTS !
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • damski
    OK

I accept it may not be to every ones taste, but it has saved me money and I guess it will save others money as well

instead of coming on here and having a rant at what was a genuine attempt to help others,

why not add your vast knowledge to the database on the site and help others as well
    • isualive
    • By isualive 17th Jul 07, 8:21 AM
    • 6,761 Posts
    • 4,731 Thanks
    isualive
    what an excellent site. Thanks.
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. ~ Mother Teresa
    • Thepmiester
    • By Thepmiester 17th Jul 07, 9:08 AM
    • 601 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Thepmiester
    Whilst there may be some very good gems of wisdom on here, please be very very careful before following any of it.

I've just had a search for a few things and looked at the questions posted and answers given.

Firstly, looked for WM and BEARINGS - this is the Hotpoint range of washing machines and I know from experience that the bearings are an issue.

Of the 12 to 15 I looked at, with just 1 exception (which was truthful advice on removing a specific nut & pulley), all the others basically said , don't do it yourself, you need special tools, call an engineer - expect to pay £100 to £150, a nightmare, not for the novice, etc. etc.

Well I'm a novice, I didn't have any special tools, it wasn't nightmare (IT WAS QUITE DIFFICULT never having done it before) but I did it for £6 (cost of the bearings & seals) when the engineer wanted £95 because it would take him 90 minutes to 2 hours.
    It took me just over 4 hours - although whilst in bits I fully cleaned the tub and drum and door seal and most hoses and soap drawer from all the build up of powder/scum/dirt/mould etc. - something the engineer wouldn't have done.
    One of the answers even said "We do it for £XXX" and included his phone number so watch out for traders selling their wares.

Secondly I had a look at MONDEO, found an answer to a problem that was potentially very dangerous, likely to make matters much worse and make any costs involved in repairs spiral to 10, 20 , maybe even 100 times what they would have been before following the advice given.

Thirdly, having had a quick look around some of the general TV fault responses, I'd rate most of them as TOTAL PANTS !
    Originally posted by quoia
    All You Need To Say Is Thanks! Even if something doesnt meet your "requirements"
    Thanks OP
    The Pmiester
    Well, I just got into town about an hour ago.
    Took a look around, see which way the wind blow.
    • quoia
    • By quoia 17th Jul 07, 9:32 AM
    • 13,145 Posts
    • 141,570 Thanks
    quoia
    OK

I accept it may not be to every ones taste, but it has saved me money and I guess it will save others money as well

instead of coming on here and having a rant at what was a genuine attempt to help others,

why not add your vast knowledge to the database on the site and help others as well
    Originally posted by damski
    I did, I answered 4 questions including 2 Mondeo related ones

and I wasn't having a rant - I was issuing a warning to be careful.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 17th Jul 07, 9:35 AM
    • 16,518 Posts
    • 12,652 Thanks
    hollydays
    Thanks OP,dont think I am up for major repairs,will use this for simple stuff.
    • tropicaltopaz
    • By tropicaltopaz 18th Jul 07, 10:51 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    tropicaltopaz
    Thanks OP, I've bookmarked it for future reference
    & Thanks Quoia for the warning, it makes sense to be wary of information given by "experts" on the net or elsewhere.
    I found your post useful and not at all ranting
    • Maysie
    • By Maysie 18th Jul 07, 11:51 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 3,793 Thanks
    Maysie
    another good site is http://www.howtomendit.com/index.php i used them when i had a flashing light on my washing machine the instruction manual was saying calll an engineer. Took me secs to fix i was so happy.

The sites both look very similar. I looked up my old machine problem from how to mend it and put an answer on fixed 4 free to someone asking. My good deed for the day.
    • gibby
    • By gibby 7th Aug 07, 11:08 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    gibby
    excellent tip

Im sure Ive posted it before but
    http://www.diynot.com/

is a great site too as Ive had info to fix car problems
    & fixed my combi boiler in 3 properties for peaunts rather than £400 plus quoted by tradesmen

Im not that great with these sort of things but really saved some dosh with this site

I also try to get things trade rather than retail which also saves a few quid

i did find a local exhaust co got me a full exhaust for £90 rather than the £500 I was quoted from garage - it cost £30 to get fitted so I was chuffed

G
    never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
  • freebiehunter29
    Thanks great site, have bookmarked it for future use.
  • Wiggynut
    Thanks damski- very usefull as people are always getting me to fix things for them!

(I didn't think quoia was ranting.. thought he was just giving some usefull advice)
    Light bulb moment April 07: £3,655 Oct 07: £2,220 now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date
    now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,579Posts Today

9,939Users online

Martin's Twitter