Comments

• charliewocka
    Options
    Thanks VestanPance, will look into it!
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah, the joys of the clocks going forwards = up at 5am to run!
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • G_Model101
    G_Model101 Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    During the last 3 o4 4 km they had people advertising the Medoc Marathon (the one with the wine!) and they were handing out thimbles of red wine. I resisted! Not sure I could run any distance with wine in me, so will be avoiding that one (unless it's over a week).

Haha. I didn't resist.
    I don't recommend it....
  • runnergirl1992
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    If you're anywhere near a Sweatshop, they do a Sweatshop Running Community twice a week and you should eb able to find a local running club near you.

Thanks so much, I found one on the holloway road as a result of this and I'm really keen to get my teeth into my new running schedule!
    :j“You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.”:j
  • *niptuckfan*
    *niptuckfan* Posts: 638 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hey fellow runners?

i recently joined a local running group and am progressing along nicely few 5/10ks of which i have saved the running bibs/medals

thinking in mse style i want to display these - lots ideas online

just wondered how/what you msers do with yours?
    How people treat you is their Karma: how you react is yours

• VestanPance
    VestanPance Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    Options
    Medals are thrown in a drawer. I bin the bibs and any t-shirts that aren't technical t-shirts.
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hey fellow runners?

i recently joined a local running group and am progressing along nicely few 5/10ks of which i have saved the running bibs/medals

thinking in mse style i want to display these - lots ideas online

just wondered how/what you msers do with yours?

I only have a couple of medals and since I use the same bag all the time, I actually haven't got round to taking them out of the pocket. Which is handy for when I just happen to need to show off :rotfl:

I am hoping to get a few more this year and then I might hang them to the side of my bookcases with a drawing pin
  • Johnny_Dangerously
    Options
    You know, I've been lurking on this forum for months, and I've only just got the meaning of Vestan's username. I feel dead stupid now!
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all :)

I posted on the couch 2 5K thread and whilst I got some great advice from some people on there (who I think are also on here) I didn't get any takers with the challenge so I'm pitching up here if that's okay?

Background, I'm late 30's and need to get moving. I'm not overweight but just not very fit and haven't done any regular exercise for many years. Now I'm pushing on in age I realise that this really isn't good! I'm at a desk all day and drive to and from work with no other option so not much movement going on during the day.

I've downloaded the NHS app although only on my tablet, won't work on my phone for some reason so I've taken a look at it. Being so unfit I thought it would be wise to get some steps clocked up by walking before I jumped into the whole running thing, I have a Fitbit One to clock this.

Last week I did a walk after work and then on Sunday I plotted a route and went for it. I felt pretty knackered when I got back and I was aching a bit yesterday but when I looked at the Fitbit I was so demoralised, over the whole day I had walked 6.93 km but it was only 9336 steps, not even close to the elusive 10,000 steps even with that long walk! This has made me feel like giving up, who decided on 10,000 steps anyway?!

I've just read this back and I'm whinging, I do apologise :D. I just feel like giving up before I start, the fitbit is not my friend at the moment as I'm sure it's telling me lies (I know it isn't).

Any words of encouragement for me please? I know getting out and doing this walking is better than doing nothing but I feel like it isn't achieving anything so isn't worth the bother. I'm happy to do all this stuff on my own, I'm not interested in roping in a friend or joining a running club or anything like that at the moment as I'm a bit anti-social :p

Thanks for listening :rotfl:
  • Johnny_Dangerously
    Options
    My only advise when it comes to exercising is force yourself to stick with it for a couple of weeks. I think whatever the level of fitness you are, when you restart, you spend about 2 weeks feeling totally useless. However, at about week 3 you'll notice a difference in your fitness level and that's the point where it becomes habit forming. You start getting addicted to the feeling of improvement, and it's enjoyable from then on.

I've just kick-started my running again after taking months off. I personally don't enjoy running anymore, but I enjoy the feeling of not running a lot less, so it's something I just need to do. Yesterday, I hit the feeling of improvement for the first time and it has got me wanting to go running again.

Stick at it, it'll grow on you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport