Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 21st Jan 14, 6:58 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Add your feedback on heating oil broker Fueltool
    • 21st Jan 14, 6:58 PM
    Add your feedback on heating oil broker Fueltool 21st Jan 14 at 6:58 PM
    This is a feedback thread on heating oil broker

Fueltool

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part

The feedback comes as part of the

Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • shaun1d
    • 9th Feb 15, 7:27 AM
    How can I view the reviews left?
    • 9th Feb 15, 7:27 AM
    Hi
    I have just had an oil heating system installed, as such I have no idea about purchasing oil. I found this fueltool website and would like to read some independent reviews to see if they are a good way to buy oil.

Thanks
  • oldgoat1204
    • 9th Feb 15, 11:47 AM
    • 9th Feb 15, 11:47 AM
    Bloody brilliant.my supplier asked 53,p per litre,fuel tool got it for 42p,and and and,it was delivered by my regular supplier,,,use fueltool every time
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 9th Feb 15, 4:33 PM
    • 4,451 Posts
    • 3,996 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 9th Feb 15, 4:33 PM
    • 9th Feb 15, 4:33 PM
    I've ordered 1100 litres today from one of my regular local suppliers, for 37.25 ppl. Out of curiosity I've just looked at FuelTool, their cheapest quote is 43.35.

In reply to Shaun1d, always ALWAYS shop around every time you need oil. Look in yellow pages, find 5 or 6 local suppliers, ring them up and ask for their price. The difference between suppliers can sometimes be as much as 10 ppl, which is a big difference when you're buying 1000 litres or so.

And the cheapest supplier one time will not necessarily be the cheapest next time. For instance, today, the supplier who has been cheapest for the last 3 fills was about 5 ppl more expensive than the one I went for today.

And haggle. Nearly always, if I say "Sorry, I've already had a cheaper quote", they'll ask who the cheaper quote was from and offer to match - or sometime beat - it.

Websites like this and BoilerJuice are useful to get a benchmark price, but always shop around.

Don't get sucked into a direct debit scheme with a single supplier. It sounds great - you make a payment every month, they'll top you up when you need it. But you're stuck with the one supplier, and they'll usually top you up when it's convenient for them, not for you ( e.g. when they're in the area anyway, or when prices are higher ). Much better to put money aside each month into a separate account yourself ( maybe even earn a few pennies interest on it ! ), then you'll have the money ready when you need to buy oil.

Lastly, prices vary daily. At the moment they are lower than they've been for many years, but in general they tend to be cheaper in the summer and more expensive in winter - simple supply and demand. So if you can, plan to fill up say in Autumn and avoid having to buy in the middle of Winter if you can. This is where having the largest tank possible comes in handy

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 09-02-2015 at 4:37 PM.
  • Oil heating 01257230537
    • 10th Mar 15, 4:23 PM
    Oil prices
    • 10th Mar 15, 4:23 PM
    In every case I would always get prices from your local suppliers. 5 or 6 if possible. Don't wait until you run out (if possible), as you have less on your side. If you can wait until they are delivering to others close to you you will, or should get a better price. If your in the lancashire, south lakes and Cumbria areas I will soon have a page on my site that local suppliers can input their best daily prices.
    Last edited by Oil heating 01257230537; 10-03-2015 at 4:37 PM. Reason: Daft spelling
    • Thickoak
    • By Thickoak 28th Mar 15, 7:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thickoak
    • 28th Mar 15, 7:40 PM
    No information on site
    • 28th Mar 15, 7:40 PM
    I am also a new oil user and decided to try Fuel Tool. Easy to use site and useful getting updates on prices by email. Ordering also easy but no details of who you are ordering from until checkout.

I over ordered. The electronic device in my plug in house was showing nearly empty, so ordered just over half a tank. Was too much to go in. Was charged full amount ordered. Asked for refund of difference. No reply to 3 emails. Did see on the ticket given to me by driver it says you can be charged 1.77 per mile for any fuel to be taken back to depot. There is NO information about this on Fuel Tool site before you order.

This has turned out to be an expensive exercise for me and would have been cheaper using nearest supplier. NOT happy not even getting reply from supplier on Fuel Tool.
    Look forward to your site Oil heating. Am in your area!!
    Last edited by Thickoak; 28-03-2015 at 7:49 PM.
    • Thickoak
    • By Thickoak 28th Mar 15, 9:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thickoak
    • 28th Mar 15, 9:58 PM
    Re No information
    • 28th Mar 15, 9:58 PM
    I must correct previous thread. The fuel tool site is good and trustworthy. The price I was quoted was cheaper than local supplier. My complaint should have been directed at the supplier I chose from Fuel tool. After getting no response from the supplier, contacted Fuel tool and got immediate response saying they will be in touch with supplier and was a message to them to reply to me. Pretty impressive. Will await outcome. If people are new to oil like me, they may incorrectly blame Fuel tool instead of the supplier. Must also say, delivery was amazingly fast. Ordered Mon lunch. Here early Wed am.
  • whybelieve
    • 17th Jun 15, 4:32 PM
    first time user
    • 17th Jun 15, 4:32 PM
    I was very nervous to pay for my oil through the website without knowing if this was a scam or not... but I have no complaints at all!

I phoned around all the local suppliers and none of them could match the price I was being offered on this site. I ordered and paid for 2,500 litres of oil yesterday on a 3 day delivery and the oil was delivered today! (the next day)

They had the cheapest price and also the fastest service - will definitely use them again!
    • jimpix12
    • By jimpix12 12th Aug 15, 11:44 AM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    jimpix12
    • 12th Aug 15, 11:44 AM
    • 12th Aug 15, 11:44 AM
    I have used Fueltool twice now. They are always the cheapest and deliver quicker than the estimates. I used boilerjuice once and they took ages, I had to keep ringing up the supplier to check where my oil was. Admittedly this might not be boilerjuice's fault but it stopped me using them, plus they are not as cheap as Fueltool.
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
    • iris
    • By iris 12th Aug 15, 1:21 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 3,398 Thanks
    iris
    My experience has been that Fueltool are always at least 2ppl more than BoilerJuice.

I agree that BoilerJuice take up to the maximum time to deliver if you want their cheapest price, but I never let my oil tank get so low as to cause concern.

I find BoilerJuice always quote their cheapest price at the weekend and if enough people order they refund the difference.

The Heating Oil Club also quote cheap prices.

https://theheatingoilclub.co.uk/
    Last edited by iris; 12-08-2015 at 1:24 PM.
  • Born Cynic
    Be very careful when comparing Fuel Tool's online price quotation with others, they show the total price with VAT included and one might be deceived into thinking the p/litre also includes VAT - IT DOES NOT!!
    They are currently 2.8% more expensive than my local supplier.
    Last edited by Born Cynic; 03-09-2015 at 1:29 PM.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 4th Sep 15, 9:37 PM
    • 5,349 Posts
    • 6,757 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Be very careful when comparing Fuel Tool's online price quotation with others, they show the total price with VAT included and one might be deceived into thinking the p/litre also includes VAT - IT DOES NOT!!
    They are currently 2.8% more expensive than my local supplier.
    Originally posted by Born Cynic
    Ineed. As I posted in the main oil thread, all the online brokers were more expensive than my main local supplier this week.

It is not automatically the case that online is cheaper for everything all the time.
    • MKerr
    • By MKerr 23rd Sep 15, 1:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MKerr
    Just go direct to 'homefuels direct' its cheaper!! -
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 23rd Sep 15, 6:21 PM
    • 27,996 Posts
    • 13,847 Thanks
    Cardew
    I was very nervous to pay for my oil through the website without knowing if this was a scam or not... but I have no complaints at all!

!
    Originally posted by whybelieve

Apart from this thread seeming to attract a higher number of spam posts than normal, I would be very wary of paying any third party for goods unless I was absolutely certain that any money I paid them was 100% safe.

Also posts from someone who had apparently used FuelTool just once and felt compelled to state 'use fueltool every time' is not adding much to the thread.

I am obviously NOT implying there is anything suspect about this firm.
    • jonathannc
    • By jonathannc 1st Apr 16, 1:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonathannc
    Having placed an order with Fuel Tool,they simply do not care one bit about customer care.

the online order agreement was 5 working days, pretty much like most others

generally i don't go the online route and after this will never again,

well the delivery date came and went, no one made contact, NOTHING ,,,ended up having to make contact to the oil supplier that fuel tool use, FUEL TOOL DO NOT ANSWER CALLS , rang for days on and off..

The oil supplier told me that my delivery will not be for another week at best, being an indirect customer ,means low priority,
    Basically i could end up waiting 3 weeks for a delivery that should have been done inside 1 week.

so the lesson here is, go direct and not use fueltool, funny thing is, after doing a little digging I am not the only who feels like this after using them,

plenty of oil suppliers are more than happy to deal direct and will match or even beat these bandits.
    • sham63
    • By sham63 22nd Aug 16, 7:42 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    sham63
    Just had a very poor experience with fuel tool.

My order was for delivery within 4 working days. On day 5 I emailed the supplier as advised - no reply (copied fuel tool in as well)

Day 6 I emailed fuel tool customer services - no reply.

Oil finally delivered on day 7. The driver handed me the receipt and drove off. When I looked at the receipt it stated that 487 litres were delivered. I ordered and paid for 500.

So the delivery was late, I was ripped off on the volume and neither the supplier or fuel tool have had the courtesy to reply to my emails. I won't be using them again.
    • Ellesopia
    • By Ellesopia 24th Feb 17, 1:25 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ellesopia
    Fuel Tool - Oakley Fuels
    I have been using comparison sites for many years as the prices have always been cheaper than local prices. However, contacting Fuel Tool is nightmare, last year I ordered 500 litre and paid the asking price, but the driver over delivered by 100 litres. The delivery firm (Oakley Fuels) called me direct asking me to pay for the extra 100 litres, which I declined as this was their error... if I order half dozen eggs from Tesco and they deliver a dozen I wouldn't expect to pay for the error so why should this be any difference... if I wanted 12 I would of asked and paid for 12! I called Fuel Tool to express my concern, but no response, their customer service is shocking.

Today's order was placed and accepted by (online) Fuel Tool but then I received an email stating the delivery firm had cancelled my order, when calling the delivery firm (Oakley Fuels) I was advised that the 100 litres delivered in error was to be paid in full before they would deliver fuel. I was also advised that when this error happens the client i.e. me always pays for the extra. My concern is not the money but the principle... and if they are doing this on a regular basis how much more money is this company making in error!
    • RobMac
    • By RobMac 3rd Jul 17, 8:08 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    RobMac
    Mixed results
    I have used boiler juice before without issue and before that my local oil firm without issue. My local firm always were best for being prompt and great customer service but not the cheapest. Boiler juice were cheaper and delivered on time.
    Then I found fueltool last year. First order was cheaper than boilerjuice and my local firm. All went through fine.
    Second time was not so great. I know that on this occasion the supplier is the issue, but fueltool are the broker and should not have poor quality suppliers on their books. The supplier did not make contact within the 10 day delivery time frame and only sent out a lorry after I made an enquiry as to where my oil had gone. To their credit they replied quickly and sent a driver out the next day. The driver came, dumped a note in our post box and drove off. My wife was home and thought he had finished but was shocked to find a note to say our alley was full of dog poo and he refuses to deliver. To our dismay we found our cat had done 3 small poos we were unaware of (hardly covered in dog poo!). Someone was home and had he knocked we would have cleared up (we don't use the alley so had no idea). The usual drivers have never had any issues and always knock just to say hi and let us know everything was fine. I now have an overdue order and a firm that refuses to make any reasonable attempts to deliver. I have requested a refund and await a response. I am really concerned now about how that will go!
    Overall my warning is that cheaper can mean problems. Personally I will go back to haggling with my local firm and pay an extra 2ppl rather than risk a poor service and not knowing if my delivery will take place and then fight to get my money back. The payment was taken 10 days before any fuel was delivered. Just beware that oil companies are not regulated and when using comparison sites they don't care about the quality of the firm's they use.
    Hope this helps people make an informed decision .
    • RobMac
    • By RobMac 25th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    RobMac
    Mixed results update
    It took a month but I managed a refund. Turns out you should contact fueltool if you have any problems as soon as you get a problem. They got an instant response to the oil company and refund action with 30 minutes of my email. Their site does not exactly say they will offer the level of assistance I was given but it suggests you actually get more help than you would expect.
    • Volvo Sugga
    • By Volvo Sugga 10th Nov 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Volvo Sugga
    Avoid like the plague! Fatally flawed and disgracefully executed.
    1. Read the T's&C's. Fuel Tool is NOT responsible, or liable, for performance or service of their suppliers.
    2. You are forced to order and pay without being told who the supplier is.
    3. Fuel Tool does NOT perform adequate due diligence before selecting suppliers.
    4. In the event the supplier you have been assigned is bogus, takes your money but doesn't deliver, then guess what? Fuel Tool are not liable (because they didn't actually take the payment from you, the supplier did. Plus their T's&C's say they are not liable).
    5. Be warned! ANYONE can create an Ltd company for 100, get a 2 a month website and call themself a fuel distributor. They can then register with Fuel Tool, bid and win business, take your money, waste your time, fail to deliver, give you a pack of lies as to why the delivery didn't happen, try and force you to accept a later date instead of giving you the refund you have requested, and make you wish you'd either phoned your local supplier and ordered from them, or just set your money on fire in the back garden!
    6. The supplier name I was given for my order on FuelTool doesn't exist according to Companies House. There was no company number stated (I will come back to this). The address stated appears to be fake i.e. nothing to do with any company claiming to be a fuel distributor. It's grandious sounding, being located right next to an airport i.e. gives the impression that this so-called company is involved in supplying fuel to the airport. The payment was taken by a different company name, which does exist, but has a different address, has never submitted accounts to Companies House, because it is too new. I looked up this company, found out it is a one man band, and that the director who registered it has three companies with similar sounding names, but which differ from that stated by FuelTool. None is more than two years old. Obvioulsy my fuel wasn't delivered, and I ended up arguing on the phone with the sort of grotty sounding chav that I could imagine being chased down the road by Dom Littlewood and a camera crew on Rogue Traders.

The problem is, who do you issue the County Court Claim to? The company FuelTool stated as my supplier, doesn't exist! Where do you serve the legal proceedings? The address stated by FuelTool has no company with that name (or anything similar sounding).

A Ltd company is an artificial person, a legal entity entitled to own property, to sue and be sued. Each Ltd company has a unique company registration number, just like a person has a national insurance number. Just because two companies have similar sounding names, does NOT mean that they are in any way linked legally, just as if John Smith owes you money, you can't sue John Jones just because the name John is the same in both cases.

Who is my contract with? I literally have no idea! It's almost as if the chav who set up all these companies did this deliberately...

It's a sick joke, and in my opinion FuelTool should conduct proper due diligence and ensure that companies registering are bona fide, addresses are bona fide, that payment is taken by the actual company the order is issued to, and that the company number and VAT number are both included on the order details (so you can sue the right one when they don't deliver your fuel but have taken your money!).
    6. According to the 2014 Consumer Contracts Regulations companies selling online are supposed to disclose their name, address and location BEFORE you are required to place an order. Because Fuel Tool do NOT show you who a supplier is and only show that AFTER you have placed your order and paid, I have no idea how their operating model can even be complying with those regulations. Whether there is some weasel worded way they can justify it, is irrelevant. IF they had displayed the so-called supplier before I placed my order I would NEVER have proceeded, because the address is 80 miles away! As soon as I saw the address the alarm bells started ringing. 3 calender weeks later (14 days in Fuel Tool's language i.e. business days), no oil, quelle surprise, and nothing but aggravation, hassle, stress, arguing and trying to get a refund.

I will NEVER use Fuel Tool again. I am absolutely disgusted and cannot believe how something as simple as ordering some heating oil has been turned into a bigger hassle than landing a man on the moon.

Get out of my life and never come back you horrible, incompetent waste of time, energy and money!

p.s. Because I was really low on oil after this debacle, I phoned my local supplier, a REAL company, with REAL employees and REAL tankers, on Wednesday morning and the fuel was delivered at 07:30 on Thursday morning! The icing on the cake is, it was 3 pence a litre CHEAPER than the price displayed on FuelTool on Wednesday (and theirs had a 4 day leadtime). NEVER. EVER. AGAIN!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,839Posts Today

8,025Users online

Martin's Twitter