The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Calling in slightly early at 11/21 AFDs for me please Shaggy. DH made me a cuppa earlier and I'm soaking in a hot bath now, so bed beckons...

I've eaten my body weight in chocolate chip cookies today, which is not good (well, they ARE good, that's the problem really) but I'm hoping this craving for sugar will pass.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    9 for tonight, please. Feeling a bit better, thankfully.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    13/25 AFDs today :-)
  • Chardonnay
    Options
    Helloooo!!! 8/21 please Shaggy.
  • charmed1318
    Options
    Sending good vibes to you Desperado.
    It may sound cliche but take each day at a time. Remember your Dr isn't there to judge, they're to help (fingers x'd you have a decent one).

13/31 please and thanks you Shaggy
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    9/25 AFDs and 180 in a row :-)

Barny! I somehow managed to miss this lovely, lovely number - fantastically well done.
    Yesterday (Sunday) I woke up and decided I just could not live like this any more. .... I don't enjoy getting drunk. I like the first wee 'hit' as it makes me feel 'ahhhh, who cares anymore'..but after that it's downhill all the way. What's to like.

Quite. I woke up on a Saturday morning after a totally over-the-top night and made exactly the same decision about 15 months ago. It's worked for me with the support of this thread and some other online resources, coupled with a very supportive partner, but even if he hadn't been I'd have done it anway. In the early days when I had a wobble I only had to look at a nasty gash on one of my ankles, remember that I got the dog safely home after all, and remind myself of some of the horrible things I said on that last occasion to know I couldn't live like that any more. Best choice I ever made. If it gets tough, just remember that last drinking session and ask yourself if you want to go back to behaving like that. I certainly don't.

I'll have a look at your own thread later, but in the meantime it's lovely to have you here. Post as often as you want, say and ask whatever you need and know that we're all rooting for you.

Your progress so far sounds constructive and absolutely right.
    Dizzy_Imp wrote: »
    Calling in slightly early at 11/21 AFDs for me please Shaggy. DH made me a cuppa earlier and I'm soaking in a hot bath now, so bed beckons...

I've eaten my body weight in chocolate chip cookies today, which is not good (well, they ARE good, that's the problem really) but I'm hoping this craving for sugar will pass.

In the early days of cutting the booze out - scoff away. You'd find yourself very short of energy indeed if you didn't and from what I can gather about your life, you're a very busy person. While you're not drinking you're not absorbing those calories (booze is loaded) so you can afford the sugar intake and you need to enjoy something enough to not feel deprived.

After a few months you can think about whether you want or need to lose weight and deal with it then. The trick is to remember that the more sugar you eat, the more you want, so when the time comes to shed the extra you, find a way to start cutting down on it that works for you - say not allowing yourself any cookies until after lunchtime, then after a week or three of that, until after tea time, then after that, after dinner time. Take it slowly, though, at least a week at a time to wean yourself off it. Apart from booze and fags, our other (legal) vices don't have to be all or nothing.

13/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning :hello:

1 more ALD for yesterday.

LQEXR-ivJLzKZE7tuQxcZaGH_j25fvNTqaU2oPNRNMTJO43Fa6jV7RT5AoFgofsbvxmhG75AK0R6GIe28seW5-_jtSRd1BbIyucgI4Rad_mIRBHVXq5L9D9Zg7beguNR-hf3kQhy=w426-h333-p

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    October:

autumn_leaf_hello.gif = 7 Days AF

tree-smiley-emoticon-emoji.gif= 14 days AF

citrouille28.gif= 21 days AF

smileys-halloween-500315.gif?w=646= 28 days AF

witch07.gif= 31 days AF

smiley-score010.gifbiggrin.gif = target achieved

Alcohol Free Days

Alex 9/TF
    autumn_leaf_hello.gif
    Barny1979 13/25autumn_leaf_hello.gif
    Chardonnay 8/21 autumn_leaf_hello.gif
    Charmed 13/31
    autumn_leaf_hello.gif

DebJay 6/13

Gien 1/10

Lincs1205 /31
    Honey Bear 13/31 autumn_leaf_hello.gif

Maman
    4/10

Milky 3/15

Pricey 4/20

Satchmo 7/14 autumn_leaf_hello.gif
    SandyPan 8/21
    autumn_leaf_hello.gif

SmallHoldingSister 5/21

WBF 3/21

Alcohol Low Days
    DizzyImp 11/22 autumn_leaf_hello.gif
    Shaggy 9/25
    autumn_leaf_hello.gif

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Forgot to say, lovely to see you back with us, Gien.
    Better is good enough.
  • Sandypan
    Sandypan Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    10/21 for me please Shaggy

Had a wobble at he weekend with family celebrating birthdays, as usual i didnt stop at 1 and regretted it big style the next day!!!

Back on track again now and I had accounted for it in my monthly target.

Welcome to the new comers, this is a long journey and their are lots of obstacles along the way but the destination is worth it!
    DF by Christmas 2014 #78 £18,964.15/£15,000
    DF by Christmas 2015 #07 £16,500/£21,992.92
    DF by Christmas 2016 #42 £4570/£4,500
    CC and loan debt at it's worst April 07 - £54,489 plus
    27/01/14 Officially Debt Free - except mortgage which I'm working on!
    26/02/16 mortgage free
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport