Income support

Options
If someone stops caring for someone and ends their claim for carers allowance, are they entitled to a run of income support for a time? If so, for how long? Thanks.
"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looks like it depends on the reason why they have stopped their claim.

This may help:
    http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/help-with-money/benefits-a-tax-credits/carers-allowance/changing-circumstances
  • PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Lindloo. I saw that link earlier and unfortunately doesn't fit the scenario we're in. Our circumstances are that the carer is unable to continue to caring, the disabled person's circumstances are still the same. Just need to find out whether the carer gets an IS run on when carers allowance stops and have been totally unable to find out.
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • jacques_chirac
    Options
    PippaGirl wrote: »
    Thanks Lindloo. I saw that link earlier and unfortunately doesn't fit the scenario we're in. Our circumstances are that the carer is unable to continue to caring, the disabled person's circumstances are still the same. Just need to find out whether the carer gets an IS run on when carers allowance stops and have been totally unable to find out.

In that circumstance they will not qualify. They may qualify for ESA or JSA, depending on their reason for ceasing their CA claim?
  • PippaGirl_2
    Options
    Thanks, that's what I need to know. Not sure why the government sites couldn't say that.
  • mikey_bach
    mikey_bach Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2013 at 7:51PM
    Options
    PippaGirl wrote: »
    If someone stops caring for someone and ends their claim for carers allowance, are they entitled to a run of income support for a time? If so, for how long? Thanks.

YES :)
    they will get an eight week run of Income Support to include the carers premium, plus one final week of the normal I.S eg £71.70 t and then their I.S claim would end. At this point they then can claim JSA

if they choose however go on to JSA straight away then they ARE entitled to the eight week run of the Carers Premium as well, on top of their JSA

either way they get the run on
  • PippaGirl_2
    Options
    Now I'm confused. Mikey back you directly contradict what jacques chirac just said. Who do I believe and how can I find out?
  • mikey_bach
    Options
    If a person ceases to care then Carers Allowance ends.
    If that person is claiming I.S as a carer then they are entitled to claim I.S for a further eight weeks with the carers premium, this is called the run on, they then get a final one weeks I.S and then their claim closes..

They can claim JSA and close their I.S but they would get the carers premium on top of their JSA..
    I process both JSA and I.S so am sure of this...

The only time this wouldnt be correct is if CA had been overpaid ie they had ceased caring weeks ago and hadnt told CA, but if they have ceased to care and notified CA straight away this shouldnt apply.

I.S will confirm this...
    Benefits system is a nightmare and minefield but when your friend phone I.S to tell them her CA is ceasing they should apply the run on unless she specifies she wants to close the claim and go on JSA straight away.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mikey_bach wrote: »
    YES :)
    they will get an eight week run of Income Support to include the carers premium, plus one final week of the normal I.S eg £71.70 t and then their I.S claim would end. At this point they then can claim JSA

if they choose however go on to JSA straight away then they ARE entitled to the eight week run of the Carers Premium as well, on top of their JSA

either way they get the run on

Don't those rules only apply if the person being cared for no longer needs caring for or they lose the entitlement.?

If the carer just stops caring as they can no longer carry on without either of the above happening does'nt the IS and carers premium stop?

Best contacting Carers UK to confirm.
  • mikey_bach
    Options
    No they will get the Premium if they stop caring :)
    Your friend needs to ring I.S and inform them CA has stopped anyway they will confirm everything I have said
    CA dont send the cards out now to notify us that CA has stopped so she needs to ring
    I.S will give her the run on and the extra week and then close the claim.

Carers UK should confirm as well.
    I am taking she still fits the IS criteria, not come into capital over16k, no partner working over 24 hrs etc etc
  • PippaGirl_2
    Options
    That's brilliant, thank you mikey. I will get them to do that. They are starting a nursing degree at the beginning of Feb and are planning a move to the Uni area soon so will stop caring when that happens in the next few weeks. It would really help them pressure wise if they could settle in to their new area without pressure from JSA before their student finance kicks in. Yes she fits the IS criteria still otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure