IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye at Roaring Meg Retail Stevenage

Options
Yesterday my mum received a ticket through the post from Parking Eye, claiming she'd parked too long at the Roaring Meg Retail Park in Stevenage. Apparently there was a time limit of 90 minutes and she'd overstayed her welcome by 14 minutes! We've been shopping at this particular retail park for years and have never once been aware of any time limits on parking. I've just checked the website for the retail park and apparently a new parking system was introduced in February this year limiting parking stays to 3 hours, but reduced to only 90 minutes on days when the local football team is playing a home game. My mum was a genuine shopper on the day she received a ticket for, browsing and buying toys from Toys R Us and also buying a printer cartridge from Argos.
Firstly, how on earth can they expect all people who shop at the retail park to know when Stevenage Football Club is playing a home game and therefore their time parking is limited to 90 minutes only? Can they really assume that everyone is a football fan of the local team?
Secondly, should she complain first to Argos and Toys R Us, as it's them she made purchases from on that day. I've told her not to pay a penny yet until I look into it first and get some advice, as it's my two children she was buying toys for on that day, so I feel awful that she's now being asked to pay £100 by Parking Eye on top of the money she spent on my children.

Any advice on how best to proceed will be very appreciated.
Many thanks.
:)

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 October 2013 at 12:34AM
    Options
    linzi.k.f wrote: »
    Yesterday my mum received a ticket through the post from Parking Eye, claiming she'd parked too long at the Roaring Meg Retail Park in Stevenage. Apparently there was a time limit of 90 minutes and she'd overstayed her welcome by 14 minutes! We've been shopping at this particular retail park for years and have never once been aware of any time limits on parking. I've just checked the website for the retail park and apparently a new parking system was introduced in February this year limiting parking stays to 3 hours, but reduced to only 90 minutes on days when the local football team is playing a home game. My mum was a genuine shopper on the day she received a ticket for, browsing and buying toys from Toys R Us and also buying a printer cartridge from Argos.
    Firstly, how on earth can they expect all people who shop at the retail park to know when Stevenage Football Club is playing a home game and therefore their time parking is limited to 90 minutes only? Can they really assume that everyone is a football fan of the local team?
    Secondly, should she complain first to Argos and Toys R Us, as it's them she made purchases from on that day. I've told her not to pay a penny yet until I look into it first and get some advice, as it's my two children she was buying toys for on that day, so I feel awful that she's now being asked to pay £100 by Parking Eye on top of the money she spent on my children.

Any advice on how best to proceed will be very appreciated.
    Many thanks.

Same advice on here and on pepipoo forums, this harassment is easily cancelled by assertive complaints and if needed, a challenge with copy receipts:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=83749&st=0&gopid=874216

Make sure the first appeal includes copies of the receipts and words like this (as rude as you like as PPCs are scum, like a protection racket):

'the driver was a genuine customer so I require this fake PCN to be cancelled, unless you'd like to lose another POPLA case on the charge not being a genuine pre-estimate of loss? If so then send me my POPLA code and look out for the outcome being posted on a well-known forum in the end. You should also know I have complained to the Managers of all the retailers because your infestation of this car park is incompatible with the concept of customer service.'

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • linzi.k.f
    Options
    I've been meaning to get back on here to thank you both for your replies, so thank you! :D

I passed on the advice to my mum and told her to go back to Toys R Us first and ask them to get it cancelled. Today was the first chance she had to go back to the store. She went there this morning and asked to speak to the manager. Unfortunately the manager couldn't be bothered to deal with this and sent a senior supervisor to speak to my mum instead. Sadly the supervisor was less than useless and would not help my mum in any way and told her she'd have to appeal to Parking Eye herself. As they were so unhelpful my mum returned every item she had purchased on the day she got the fine for, telling the supervisor that she needed the funds to pay the fine and the only way she could afford it was to return the toys she'd bought.

Angered by their lack of customer care I started an angry twitter rant this afternoon at Toys R Us (who only joined twitter about 5 days a go!). To my shock they replied to my tweet and asked me to PM them the details and apparently their customer services will be in touch. I've PM'd them and am now waiting their response. Fingers crossed they'll sort this out. :)
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brilliant! That is consumer power in action and the only way to get home to retailers and landowners that they will lose business if they continue to harass customers who park in their car parks.

Bet you get ticket cancelled now!
  • linzi.k.f
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Brilliant! That is consumer power in action and the only way to get home to retailers and landowners that they will lose business if they continue to harass customers who park in their car parks.

Bet you get ticket cancelled now!

I certainly hope it gets cancelled, my mum has until October 25th to appeal to Parking Eye, so I really hope she gets it sorted before then. After my success attracting Toys R Us' attention on twiiter I got my mum to post a message on the Toys R Us facebook page tonight, I wonder if that may stir them into action! :D
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    I think we all have a packet of popcorn and a cuppa, waiting to hear the next instalment on this thread! Sounds as if you are now being heard - ToysRUs should certainly get this cancelled but don't take your eye off the appeal if needed.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Parking Eye are the best PPC to cancel tickets for genuine shoppers. If you write a non-stroppy appeal to them with a copy of the bill asking for them to cancel, experience on here is that they will.

Worth doing as well as waiting for the retailer to act.
  • linzi.k.f
    Options
    The power of social media is astonishing!! My mum received a phone call from Toys R Us customer services yesterday afternoon and they have agreed to contact Parking Eye on her behalf and get the PCN cancelled. :j I can't believe a little tweet was enough to get their attention and get them to do the right thing. My faith in Toys R Us has been restored. :beer:
  • jeanraffio
    Options
    The power of social media is astonishing!! My mum received a phone call from Toys R Us customer services yesterday afternoon and they have agreed to contact Parking Eye on her behalf and get the PCN cancelled. :j I can't believe a little tweet was enough to get their attention and get them to do the right thing. My faith in Toys R Us has been restored. :beer:

One for the Sticky!!
    This is my *anonymous* account on MSE Forums - I post under a different username normally.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    The power of social media is astonishing!! My mum received a phone call from Toys R Us customer services yesterday afternoon and they have agreed to contact Parking Eye on her behalf and get the PCN cancelled. I can't believe a little tweet was enough to get their attention and get them to do the right thing. My faith in Toys R Us has been restored. :beer:

That's the way to do it!:j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4766249

Duly added to the successes in this sticky thread for posterity!
  • 2522laura
    2522laura Posts: 695 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just had this happen to me. We went in to browse furniture, carpets etc for our new house and stayed 1hr 50 mins. The only thing I bought were ice creams from Toysrus which I no longer have the receipt for. I'm guessing I dont have a leg to stand on?

The letter says there were signs but I didn't see any otherwise obviously we would have been quicker!!

I have googled the time of the match and it didnt start till 3 and I left at 3.26 so if I was parked for the match why would I be leaving already!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure