PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate Management Charge

Options
Yesterday I found out from my solicitor that the house I intend to buy has a series of restrictive covenants, most of which are pretty routine stuff, however there is also a yearly management charge (currently around £100) that is payable to a company
responsible for 'managing' the common areas of the estate.
This was an unpleasant surprise! :mad:

The estate is newly built one, with the first houses erected in 2007 and completion due to take place in 2015. It's not a particularly exclusive one - the properties are a very wide mix, ranging from flats to executive five bedroom detached houses and everything in between. There is also an area dedicated to 'affordable housing' for local residents. The house I'm buying is a three bedroom detached and definitely freehold.
What I'm unhappy (to put it mildly) about is being forced by a legal covenant to participate in something that I believe should be covered by council tax. After all, it's not as if residents will get a rebate from their council tax, will they?

The other question I have is what mechanism is in place to control this yearly 'rent charge'? What is to stop the management company taking as much money as they can from residents without any justification?

Is a management charge the norm now on new estates? I don't see the logic, because the roads and local infrastructure will be adopted by the local council once all the houses have been built and whilst there may be justification for a charge beforehand, there will be no justification once the council takes 'ownership' of the estate.

Comments

• Tancred
    Tancred Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Options
    Bump, bump......
  • puregeordie
    puregeordie Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, Yes. As we will be getting charged (covenant)the same thing your on about, see here, thanks.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4673173&highlight=
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    £100 per year is pretty low. It is £230 here. It covers the maintenance of unadopted common areas (such as car parking), communal fences, insurances, gardening and planting, handling of queries, etc. It also allows for the collection of a sinking fund so that there are no unpleasant surprises. These are not covered by council tax as the council has not adopted those areas.

It is definitely worth the residents running this company themselves (possibly with paid help if a big estate) as it really helps keep the costs down.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 July 2013 at 12:20PM
    Options
    Tancred wrote: »

The other question I have is what mechanism is in place to control this yearly 'rent charge'? What is to stop the management company taking as much money as they can from residents without any justification?

NONE - you accept it or don't buy the house. We questioned the fact it was so much in the management companies favour when we bought our house and everything our solicitor did to try to tighten it up got rebuffed - we were told in the end buy the house with the contract as it is or walk away. We were verbally assured, repeatedly, it would only go up in line with inflation, should it ever go up at all. Our charge has since gone from £80pa in 2006 to £420pa in 2013.

Is a management charge the norm now on new estates? Yes I don't see the logic, because the roads and local infrastructure will be adopted by the local council once all the houses have been built and whilst there may be justification for a charge beforehand, there will be no justification once the council takes 'ownership' of the estate.But this takes years - our estate was completed in 2012 and council still haven't got it on the list to adopt. Took 2 years for me on a personal campaign to get our "new" road included on the bin round - despite the fact the bin lorries drove past our house about 5 times on bin day.

It is a massive bugbear round here, especially as we pay the management company and they do nothing. I investigated the estate taking over the management for the estate, but those who could be bothered to contribute to the debate preferred to stick with an official company and whinge about the high charges than take control themselves.

If it's Solitaire/Peveral - whatever they want to call themselves these days, get out now.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, it is common on new(ish) estates. I moved from a 10 year old house in April and that had a yearly charge of, I think, around £100-200, some of which covered insurance for our two garages (separate from house, under a flat).

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Tancred
    Options
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    £100 per year is pretty low. It is £230 here. It covers the maintenance of unadopted common areas (such as car parking), communal fences, insurances, gardening and planting, handling of queries, etc. It also allows for the collection of a sinking fund so that there are no unpleasant surprises. These are not covered by council tax as the council has not adopted those areas.

It is definitely worth the residents running this company themselves (possibly with paid help if a big estate) as it really helps keep the costs down.

Ahem! £1,700 a year of band E council tax is most definitely not low and anything extra - even £100 - is not welcome! In any case, my real concern is what controls are in place to ensure that this amount doesn't keep going up 'ad infinitum'? Moreover the covenant states that the rent charge is payable forever, and therefore not dependent on the local council's adoption.
  • Tancred
    edited 31 July 2013 at 12:57PM
    Options
    bylromarha wrote: »
    It is a massive bugbear round here, especially as we pay the management company and they do nothing. I investigated the estate taking over the management for the estate, but those who could be bothered to contribute to the debate preferred to stick with an official company and whinge about the high charges than take control themselves.

If it's Solitaire/Peveral - whatever they want to call themselves these days, get out now.

Hmmm. And I assume you also get no council tax rebate to boot! :mad: Have you raised this with your local councillor or even MP? It seems absolutely outrageous and yet you don't hear a word about it in the press or on TV. If I lived on an estate with gates, security guards etc I could understand paying the charge, but otherwise no way.

The company managing the estate where my intended house is located is called HML Andertons.
  • ging84
    ging84 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am currently looking at a new build, which has such a covenant attached, not all the houses have to pay a service charge, only the ones who have use of the communal parking facilities, the rear of my property there is a parking area which only has 2 parking spaces, which are both mine, yet they have designated it a managed facility and expect me to pay 100% of the management costs for that area, i am currently in a dispute with them as to the need for a management agency for that area.

I have 2 major problems with the use of a management agency, 1 the majority of the costs are their admin fees, for my area it would be over 60% admin, but even for some of the other areas where there are more people paying in the fees are close to half what they actually are paying.
    The other major problem i have is that there is no limit on the costs, and other services can be added in as long as they are "reasonable". So if they decide they need daily security patrols because someone got intimidated by a 12 year old, they can add them, if they do a health and safety assessment which says they need more lighting, they can install them etc. This is the sort of thing i am more worried about with my property
  • Tancred
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Yes, it is common on new(ish) estates. I moved from a 10 year old house in April and that had a yearly charge of, I think, around £100-200, some of which covered insurance for our two garages (separate from house, under a flat).

Jx

In my case there is an extra charge for leasing the car port - not clear what this is but it's a percentage of the insurance of the overall building where the car port is.
  • Tancred
    Options
    ging84 wrote: »
    I am currently looking at a new build, which has such a covenant attached, not all the houses have to pay a service charge, only the ones who have use of the communal parking facilities, the rear of my property there is a parking area which only has 2 parking spaces, which are both mine, yet they have designated it a managed facility and expect me to pay 100% of the management costs for that area, i am currently in a dispute with them as to the need for a management agency for that area.

I have 2 major problems with the use of a management agency, 1 the majority of the costs are their admin fees, for my area it would be over 60% admin, but even for some of the other areas where there are more people paying in the fees are close to half what they actually are paying.
    The other major problem i have is that there is no limit on the costs, and other services can be added in as long as they are "reasonable". So if they decide they need daily security patrols because someone got intimidated by a 12 year old, they can add them, if they do a health and safety assessment which says they need more lighting, they can install them etc. This is the sort of thing i am more worried about with my property

This is precisely my concern. As an individual resident you are deprived of your rights. It seems to be a legalised form of communism, where a 'higher authority', accountable to noone, makes decisions arbitrarily and then imposes them on to the residents. At the very least the directors should be elected by estate residents.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure