• Avocet Mining
  • Heritage Oil
  • Premier Oil
  • Druids Sheffield TESP
  • Healthy Investment TESP
  • Kingston Unity TESP
  • Sheffield Mutual TESP
  • Cash Savings: including Regular Savers and Building Society accounts
broad plan at this stage is to add some new holdings to my ISA portfolio, such as
  • Blue Chips: especially good dividend payers. I like Unilever's consumer staples and Worlwide exposure
  • Smaller Company Funds: currently eying the Cazenove and Old Mutual funds for this years ISA allowance
& to continue to add to my pension funds, as they are. these are fairly 'spicy', but alongside more 'solid' blue-chip investments i am comfortable with that.

any constructive ideas or comments appreciated.

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Extremely high risk as you are no doubt aware. Even with a high risk tolerance many of them seem fashion or flavour choices. Adding blue chips will certainly lower risk and hopefully volatility but it would be worth adding relative values or percentages to give more of an idea, if you had your selection with a large percentage in cash then that ,kght balance things more.

Interesting you ask for constructive comments only as you are aware of the extreme nature of your portfolio and probably the adverse comments that may come from many forumites, but your money your choice.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would try to get some referral payments from those TESPs
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks bigadaj.
    i like dividend payers, i like the biotech, i like agriculture, and i like the long-term growth markets of Latin America, Asia, Russia and Africa. with a c.30 year horizon, i think it makes sense to be exposed to those sectors and regions.
  • planteria
    Options
    & if people keep drawing attention to them robatwork, you never know :)
  • planteria
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    it would be worth adding relative values or percentages to give more of an idea

sorry, bigadaj, i should have replied re. this & would appreciate your thoughts.

approx %s within my ISA fund
    Eclectica Agriculture [12%]
    Smith & Williamson Global Gold & Resources [12%]
    GlaxoSmithKline [12%]
    Vodafone [12%]
    Great Portland Estates [12%]
    Standard Chartered [12%]
    Amazon [12%]
    Anglo American [12%]
    Glencore Xstrata [3%]
    Royal London Mini Stocks & Shares (Ins.) ISA [1%]

approx %s within my Pension fund
    Threadneedle Latin America [8%]
    Neptune Russia & Greater Russia [8%]
    Fidelity Sout East Asia [8%]
    Matthews Pacific Tiger [8%]
    JM Finn Africa [8%]
    Sarasin AgriSar [8%]
    Axa Framlington Biotech [8%]
    Marlborough Special Situations [8%]
    NFU Mutual SHP [4%]
    Teachers Assurance 'Managed' SHP [1%]
    Wesleyan 'Pensions Managed Fund' SHP [31%]
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting, not a lot of examples of traditional blue chips really or reliable dividend payers though you could argue that might include more utilities and banks etc which aren't flavour of the month for many.

I'm never sure about agriculture, and whilst I'm not a particularly moral person it almost discomforts me in terms of potential impacts, speculation etc.

Miners have had a kicking lately and offer value now in my opinion, though as I work for a consultancy that works partially in mining we've suffered from the drawing in of explorations And development, so I don't think they are in for a rapid turnaround.

I personally like much of Asia as a growth story and have a fair bit of my portfolio there, but Africa and South America seem further back and I have misgiving about stability and risk there. I've got the Neptune Russia fund, though it hasn't performed well for me, seems like the political risk here also outweighs the natural resources upside.

I'd personally want a bit more balance and structure, though you do say you want to add blue chips and smaller companies, even with your timescale I'd want a nice solid core of us, UK, Europe and a lower proportion of higher risk but you seem happy. As well as percentages then absolute sums might be relevant, individual holdings of less then five grand can be expensive to trade, though assume your looking to hold, however individual shares might need to be traded on both specific and macroeconomic or sector changes.

Is there anything specific you are querying, as you seem comfortable with your choices and the fact that they are high risk and volatile.
  • planteria
    Options
    I'm never sure about agriculture, and whilst I'm not a particularly moral person it almost discomforts me in terms of potential impacts, speculation etc.

well, we're not talking about speculation via stock piling, taking food away from the hungry....investment in companies that supply seeds, supply tractors, process grains, etc. is good for the industry, and for the people that want/need the product that the industry produces. the way i see it: it has to be a long-term growth sector, hence Eclectica in my ISA and Sarasin in my SIPP.
  • planteria
    Options
    Miners have had a kicking lately and offer value now in my opinion, though as I work for a consultancy that works partially in mining we've suffered from the drawing in of explorations And development, so I don't think they are in for a rapid turnaround.

sorry about that. and i agree. as you can see, my Glencore Xstrata shares are a smaller holding than Anglo American. there have been murmurings of Glencore taking over Anglo once they have fully digested Xstrata. im happy to hold these two, for now, and may look to add later.
  • planteria
    Options
    I personally like much of Asia as a growth story and have a fair bit of my portfolio there, but Africa and South America seem further back and I have misgiving about stability and risk there. I've got the Neptune Russia fund, though it hasn't performed well for me, seems like the political risk here also outweighs the natural resources upside.

agree re. Asia, which will become increasingly important against American and Europe over the long-term. African has enormous potential, but is bound to be a bumpy ride. Latin America too. and yes, the Neptune fund is the obvious choice re. Russia. both Russia and Latin America are significantly exposed to natural resources.....lately the political risk and the exposure to natural resources have had a negative effect. but both are growing markets. again, long-term i think it's sensible to be on board. all SIPP investments for me. they can be sold & replaced, of course, but these are funds for a 30 year time horizon.
  • planteria
    Options
    I'd personally want a bit more balance and structure, though you do say you want to add blue chips and smaller companies, even with your timescale I'd want a nice solid core of us, UK, Europe and a lower proportion of higher risk but you seem happy. As well as percentages then absolute sums might be relevant, individual holdings of less then five grand can be expensive to trade, though assume your looking to hold, however individual shares might need to be traded on both specific and macroeconomic or sector changes.

Is there anything specific you are querying, as you seem comfortable with your choices and the fact that they are high risk and volatile.

i understand that.

the thought i have in mind is to add to pension investments as they are........the Wesleyan fund, for example, being very blue-chip with the equities, but to steadily build substantial investments in the growth regions, biotechnology, agriculture and the smaller companies fund.

and then to further diversify my ISA fund...but not much. i want to add 1 or 2 UK Smaller Companies Funds and then a couple more FTSE100 companies. over time, i may add more & more to the funds, and just manage, say, 8 individual company holdings. happy to be a Glaxo, Vodafone, Standard Chartered, Amazon investor for the long-term (as it stands)...and currently fancy Unilever, especially if they drop further.

yes, i am fairly comfortable, but more than open to your thoughts/suggestions. some of my comments in a couple of other threads were criticised, as it happens, so in starting this thread i was also putting my holdings in a true context, for anyone who might be interested, and also demonstrating that i was willing to be open. thank you for taking an interest, i appreciate it:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure