Anyone got a Co-op Cashminder Account?

Options
I applied for a Co-operative Bank Cashminder account a few days ago over the phone. The leaflet that was sent to me suggested that there wouldn't be a credit check, But after going through the application process the lady said that it had been "Referred".

I was under the impression that everybody was accepted for this account.. Am I wrong to think this?!

Cheers

The other James

IVA Payments Coutdown -
IVA completed!! Now the cleanup begins!:D
Rebuild Credit Time: Vanquis CC with £1000 Limit (£0 Balance)
Sim Only Contract with T Mobile
All adding little green ticks to my credit file :D

Comments

• chika
    chika Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got one and it was initially reffered but the man in the bank said that everyone gets one but they may do an extra check on you as a security caution. You will get your account but it just might take a little longer.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
  • Tori_Bellatrix
    Tori_Bellatrix Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, they do credit check this account but only to check your financial situation. I don't think they use it to score the application as such like a full current account.

Usually, they will only decline if an applicant has a record of fraud.
    :happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
  • christhesparky_2
    Options
    i got one, though i was initially referred, was told to ring back 2 days later, then they told me it had gone through fine!!
    By the sounds of it the refer everyone!!!!
    Last Cigarette 24/6/09
  • desperate_mum_3
    Options
    I went bankrupt in April but before i did i phoned and asked if i could have an a/c knowing what i was going to do and they said yes ... no problem ... i have one now it took about 3 weeks to get everything through but i will warn you it isn't a quick service bank a/c as in they are slow at deducting funds and don't up date a/c daily so you may find it annoying . Look at threads on the living with bankruptcy sites quite a bit on there about coop a/c
    BR as of 26th April 2007 and feeling 10 years younger :T

If only ex could be sorted as easily :wall:
  • jsmith9156
    jsmith9156 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for your replies, I'll ring them in a few days and see what they say. :)

The other James

IVA Payments Coutdown -
  • Fedz
    Fedz Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Options
    By the sounds of it the refer everyone!!!!
    All applications are indeed referred upon application.

One word of warning with the Co-op Cashminder account is that any debit card transactions don't show in your online control panel.

The balance and available balance stay the same despite transaction until it's actually debited. So you have to remember what you've used on the debit card then deduct it yourself.

The Co-op is the only bank I have experience of that does this.

This is very annoying if you (like me) rely on internet banking.

Most others reflect any debit card usage on your available balance amost instantly :)
    Proudly Banking & Saving With:
    The Co-operative Bank.
    Castle & Minster Credit Union.
    Yorkshire Building Society.
  • jsmith9156
    Options
    Fedz wrote: »
    All applications are indeed referred upon application.

One word of warning with the Co-op Cashminder account is that any debit card transactions don't show in your online control panel.

The balance and available balance stay the same despite transaction until it's actually debited. So you have to remember what you've used on the debit card then deduct it yourself.

The Co-op is the only bank I have experience of that does this.

This is very annoying if you (like me) rely on internet banking.

Most others reflect any debit card usage on your available balance amost instantly :)

Thanks for the warning.
    I wonder if this is unique to the Cashminder account as when I had a "normal" account with the Co-op and an account with Smile the online banking updated almost instantly..

Yet on the flip side, I've just read on the BR board that if you pay cash in at the Post Office it shows within minutes online. Strange how they work! :rotfl:

The other James

IVA Payments Coutdown -
  • Fedz
    Fedz Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Options
    I think it is specific to Cashminder.

I asked co-op about it and they said it's 'normal' for banks not to show pending debit card transactions in the available balance online.

I explained I have several current accounts with various different banks and in all honesty The Co-op (cashminder) is the only one that does this.

They suggested I check my balance everytime by calling armchair banking and or the cashpoint :eek:

I (in return) suggested you close my account :p
    Proudly Banking & Saving With:
    The Co-operative Bank.
    Castle & Minster Credit Union.
    Yorkshire Building Society.
  • Quietgirl
    Quietgirl Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    I have this account have had it for 5 years from the day i went bankcrupt. Have kept it in good order all that time but they won't upgrade me or give me a savings account even though interest rates are crap. I agree with other posters about debit card transactions not showing up straight away but i use microsoft money for accounting & it keeps me straight.
  • jsmith9156
    Options
    I'm being put off by this account more and more LOL!

Does anyone know of another basic account that comes with a Electron Card (apart from The Halifax)??

Thanks

The other James

IVA Payments Coutdown -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family