Old Tesco.net email account

Options
Hi, I don't know if anyone can help me with this, it's a bit of an unusual problem and I don't know who else to ask for help. I had a Tesco.net dial-up account years ago, it eventually got cancelled as Tesco stopped offering a dial-up internet service. They assured me that I would be able to continue using my tesco.net email though, which I could, and have been ever since.

Over the last few years Tesco have migrated their email accounts over to a different server or host (I'm not sure which is correct, sorry), the url is now webmail.topaz.synacor.com/zimbra/mail#1. I access it in my browser, and always stay logged in, my login details are 'cookie'd'. Today, for the first time ever, I actually logged out, when I went to login again it was a Tesco.net login page, my details autofilled in the fields but it wouldn't accept my password and I can't log in, presumably beause I'm not a current Tesco.net customer?? I couldn't use the password recovery/reset either as it wouldn't accept my name, presumably for the same reason :( Now I can't find a way back in, and I can't find any help from Tesco who only assist actual current customers, despite assuring me I could carry on using my tesco.net email address indefinitely. I'm using a new-ish laptop I've only had for a couple of months so I'm sure I must have had to sign in to my tesco.net email account when I was setting it up and using Firefox for the first time on it, although I imported all my FF bookmarks and cookies from my old laptop via my back-up hard drive, so maybe not? I don't know. It's such an odd situation I haven't been able to find any help on google, no-one else seems to be in a similar situation. Any help gladly received, please feel free to ask any questions, I know it's an unusual set of circumstances.

Soob x

Comments

• mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps it was the case then, but they don't have to give you free email forever. Sounds like they've switched off the account to me.

Gmail provide free email accounts, plus it won't get shut down when you move provider. ISP email accounts can be a nightmare in this respect.
  • Brockyman
    Brockyman Posts: 383 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Tesco.net is now run by Cable and Wireless so they may have pulled the plug on all the old servers. I'd be surprised if you can't get in though if you use your old email address and password. But to be safe I would move over to another service ASAP and forget about Tesco unless you're going to use them again. If you set up outlook express, or whatever the new version is, and log in through that it will download all your emails onto your computer so you will not lose them.
    I've used Tesco for many years for my internet and still find them good for the money and (very) rarely have problems.
    It probably was pushing your luck a bit to keep it going as long as you did but hopefully you will be able to get your info off before moving on.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My employer pulls the plug on non-customers - after all they're not paying!
  • Gyro
    Gyro Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also an ex-Tesco dialup user with 4 email accounts, but am still getting normal service for those accounts, even though I'm now on Plusnet broadband.
    Was interested in your post as I've put those accounts into my Blackberry Playbook and everything is working fine (so far). I just entered ONLY my Tesco email accounts and their passwords into the Playbook and it auto-filled all the rest for me, though it DID warn that it didn't trust the Synacor Certificate - but I had no option but to approve it anyway. I'm also accessing the accounts through the email facility on the free Essential Personal Information Manager (aka EPIM).
    Looked around a bit after viewing your post and saw Synacor has an email login on WEB.SYNACOR.COM which might be worth a try perhaps if the Tesco page doesn't work for you?
    Or maybe you've solved the problem already.
    You can lose a loose goose.
    You cannot loose a lose goose.
    Get it? Now use it before you lose it.
    or - Try
    using it - not losing it. ;)
  • Cattie_2
    Options
    I know it is a while since your posting. Just joined the forum. Was the same as you so moved to BT when Tesco stopped the dial up. I have continued to use the Tesco email address. A few weeks ago however, I could not compose a new email. I phoned customer service. The chap suggested that it might be my search engine (internet explorer) and suggested that I use a different one like google chrome. I did and it solved the problem. He also said that my email address would be there for ever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure