PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Anyone else use candles everyday?

Options
I have a massive stash of candles (thx to Ikea) and love having candles lit everyday. They give a much nicer glow than table lamps, and I love the way flames actually move. Maybe it's nostalgia for our old candlelit cottage holidays or seventies power cuts - who knows! Is anyone else a candle fan?

Comments

• CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes! Mine tend to be Yankee Candles - bought only when on very special offer, of course, so I don't lose my OS credentials entirely ;) - but I stock up on anything that smells nice and is a reasonable price. When I'm at home in the evening it's usually by the light of my standard lamp and a candle or two - like you, I love the light they give and the way they flicker, although I'm less keen on the smoke some of them produce!
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I tend to use candles most days, in the kitchen after cooking to take away smells and in the living room in the evening, I also like using them outside on Summer evenings.
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually, yes I do like them. I think you have inspired me to light mine later. I have two on the go which I havn't lit for ages and a new one.

Oh and you have reminded me of my Mother, who wouldn't know what to do with a candle unless it was 1972 or no money for the meter :rotfl:
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love candles. We have them on the dining table and I'll often have a couple of them around in the evening. I think it looks cosier than the electric lights (and it's cheaper ;))
  • miss_emmajane
    miss_emmajane Posts: 663 Forumite
    Options
    I do the same - if I have more money I do like Yankee Candles but have been getting soya based candles from TK Maxx for a while - normally from the clearance section as they're old stock or whatever. We have candlelight and a small lamp in the evenings, really cosy and romantic :) ... and OS ;)
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I love candles too, but sometimes the smelly ones are not so nice once lit and seem to clog the air IYKWIM
    I always use tea lights now as they are safer but would love to try a yankee.
    Am I the only person who cannot get on with big (church) candles, they seem to burn at an angle and drip all over the stand or just fill up with wax in the middle which drowns the wick.
    xx
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    I love the IKEA 95p scented candles :) I burn them every day too. My OH bought me a handmade egg shaped candle last month which I've yet to burn but it smells gorgeous!
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • sKiTz-0
    sKiTz-0 Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    Inspired by this thread I have just turned my lamp off and lit a few candles. I'm now sat here in the warm glow of my candles and fairy lights. Forgot how much I love it.
    This is WAY more fun than monopoly.
  • deborah64
    deborah64 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    Another Yankee fan here, got a large stash which I burn daily, only ever in the living room, I alternate between jars/ tarts/ votives and tealights xx
  • Honeythief
    Honeythief Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Not every day, but I do use candles as frequently as possible. Like you say, they give such a nice light. It's a real pleasure to sit in my comfy chair with a good book, some classical music in the background, and candles all around.

I bought some realistic-looking wax candles with flickering LED lights inside, but they are very hard on batteries. I have to recharge the batteries after one or two evenings. They do look great but don't provide the warmth that a real candle does - although of course they are safer if left unattended.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport