GKR Karate Advertising

Options
I recently had a home visit from a membership consultant from a local karate club, the club was GKR Karate. I've always been interested in martial arts, so i let him go through the presentation.

The thing which caught my interest was the promotional offer. He was offering a Gold registration reduced from £98 to £49, if i bought a trail membership on the night he could offer a 4 month trail membership for £24.50

So, i thought this sounded all like a good offer, but i didn't buy anything on the night and i wanted to think about it. He said it was a 'one night only offer' but when i talked to some friends and family members that live close to me, they said that the club comes around regularly and keeps saying the same thing to get people buy a 4 month trail membership on the night.

If there is no or has never been any original price sold for £98, can they keep advertising like this? It doesn't seem like there is any offer. This has been going on for many years now by this club.

Comments

• bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    "One night only" types of offers are almost ALWAYS bovine excrement. And even if you did take it up you'd still have a 7 day cooling off period in which you could cancel. If they don't advise you of such cancellation rights then (I think) they are breaking the law.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also this (if it isnt a genuine "offer" and is merely a sales tactic to get you to sign on the night, kind of similar to when the furniture stores got in trouble for their never ending sales):
    (7) Falsely stating that a product will only be available for
    a very limited time, or that it will only be available on
    particular terms for a very limited time, in order to elicit an
    immediate decision and deprive consumers of sufficient
    opportunity or time to make an informed choice.

A trader falsely tells a consumer that prices for new houses
    will be increased in 7 days time, in order to pressurise him
    into making an immediate decision to buy.

Listed under Banned Practices: http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/cpregs/oft1008.pdf
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    That's also what I was thinking of, but couldn't think of the relevant term. :)
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 May 2013 at 1:25PM
    Options
    ronart you're breaking forum rules. You must obtain permission to post on behalf of a company or business and your signature should indicate this.
  • artbaron
    artbaron Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Options
    PIBlogger wrote: »
    I recently had a home visit from a membership consultant from a local karate club, the club was GKR Karate. I've always been interested in martial arts, so i let him go through the presentation.

Somehow I'm imagining a scene from Ip Man. I hope you moved the furniture.
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2013 at 2:50PM
    Options
    ronart you're breaking forum rules. You must obtain permission to post on behalf of a company or business and your signature should indicate this.

Since this is the third time that a "representative" of the "business" has broken forum rules doing this I don't think they will care. Rather sums up their attitude doesn't it.

I would never consider using a company like GKR - my kids have both done martial arts and we have always used a small local club - a lot less sales orientated and more interested in the sport and their members.
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Options
    ronart wrote: »
    Nearly 40,000 students tells you we are doing something right.

Or that you spent a couple of hundred quid buying likes.
  • Slowhand
    Slowhand Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    ronart wrote: »
    @ Societies Child. If some one can make a statement about GKR and I train and teach with GKR how is it I am not allowed to respond to their post. I am not trying to break the rules I just dont understand how I cant reply to their concerns. And also confirm that some of the statements made are not true. Am I not allowed to have my say and confirm people do pay full price. Again if I have broken the rules I apologise.

You contact MSE towers and ask to be permitted to reply and once they've checked you are who you claim to be you can post on behalf of your company.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ronart, this specific part of the forum rules may help you...

How do I get a right of reply on what's been said about my company?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The problem with Karate Instructors is their charges will always go...
    higher
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport