PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

"Fair wear and tear" in the bathroom.

Options
Im planning to soon move out of the flat ive been renting for the last four years (2005 build) when my house purchase finally goes through - but im slowly starting the cleanup operation in advance to ensure theres no reason for any deposit to be witheld.

The question i have is regarding the silicon seals around the shower cubicle - over the last four years despite my best efforts have started to get mould embedded in them and the grout around the tiles is starting to discolour.
Now from what ive read on these boards.. once its in the silicon its futile to fix it without removing and resealing - do you think this will count against me and cause issues when i leave? - given the whole flat is now 8 years old - what is the expected lifespan of these kind of fixtures and fittings.

When i obtained the original check-in report - it was noted "bathroom seals grubby" - so if the worst comes to the worst i will call on this to say the issue had already begun and its progression could only be slowed from then on.

Also, a couple of the tiles on the floor in the bathroom have cracked - however at least one was already cracked when i moved in, this is clearly due to the cement crumbling away around and under.. again do i have any recourse if they try to retain part of my deposit because of this?

Apart from the above issues - the flat is going to be left in a better state than it was then i moved in.

Comments

• Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    We get mould in one corner of our bath seal. I put bleach on it over night. It always goes back to white.

You can just pour it on, or put it on cotton wool then leave this on the marks.
  • armour
    armour Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't you ask the same question to the landlord? (not the agent)
    As a landlord myself, I'd appreciate the "heads up" so as to be able to organise minor repairs in a timely manner.
  • lauraland
    lauraland Posts: 1,677 Forumite
    Options
    Try dettol mould and mildrew remover, about £3 from a supermarket, it works wonders at removing mould from grout with minimal effort. A workmate recommended it to me and my bathroom tiles look absolutely brand new, no scrubbing needed :)

Not sure about the floor tiles but if it was noted that cracks were there when you moved in I would imagine it would be easy to prove that it was a pre-exisiting issue.

GL
    I got ham but i'm not a hamster.....
  • NeoVR2k6
    NeoVR2k6 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    armour wrote: »
    Why don't you ask the same question to the landlord? (not the agent)
    As a landlord myself, I'd appreciate the "heads up" so as to be able to organise minor repairs in a timely manner.

I would happily do this - however all i know is the landlords surname - in the time ive been here ive only delt with the letting agency and even since moving in thats only been once middle of last year when they wanted to do a periodic inspection, When the well-dressed young lad came round - i did point everything out and he took pictures.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure