Online food shopping!

Options
Where do you shop? How do you rate it? What deals are about atm? Which places to stay away from?

I have never done an online shop before but thinking it may save me money by not throwing in all those extra's that soon add up!!

Your pro's and con's would be fab.

Thank you.
Christmas 2013- Savings = (0)

Comments

• dottygirl
    Options
    Hi most supermarkets offer money off vouchers for first time shoppers so it may be worth looking around. I have tried Asda Tesco and Sainsburys. I found Tesco s the best for delivery service. Sainsburys seemed better for longer best by dates. Good luck. x
  • Kitty_Ears
    Options
    MummyKitty_Ears & I have tried them all.

Waitrose - very expensive!
    ASDA - TERRIBLE. In my area (nottinghamshire) they are always late, or they turn up an hour early when I'm not home. A lot of the food isn't in stock e.g. at Christmas, they didnt bring me my coca cola, terry chocolate oranges or the turkey. That helps. They also send things that go out of date that day.
    Sainsburys - Longer sell by dates, better quality food, deliveries always on time.
    Tesco - Mum's favourite, she swears by the delivery/customer service, never replace items, always gets what she wants.

I go on MySupermarket, do my shopping and then see who comes out cheapest.
    Now I am employed, lets get rid of this student debt! :D:D
  • BabyCakes_2
    Options
    I've heard quite a few people say Tesco's is the best they've experienced. Your replys are appreciated. Thanks. x
  • alfsmum
    alfsmum Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ocado for me at the moment. Website easy to use, deliveries always on time, good customer service, Tesco price match on many items, plus they stock all the bits and bobs I'd otherwise have to go to two or three places to buy. One hour slots from 0630 to about 2300 and I can usually get a next-day slot if needed.
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    I have used Abel & Cole, ASDA,Ocado, Sainsbury's, Shorters Club, Tesco and Waitrose.

Ocado
    Biggest range of any supermarket (Ocado delivery told OH he didn't know they did some of the stuff we bought today). Not only Ocado own brand and Waitrose but also artisan stuff eg Gail's Bread, Daylesford and foreign food eg American, French, Swedish. Some free slots early morning/late night otherwise delivery is expensive (unless you get a Delivery Pass). Discount off first order with free delivery, freebies here and there, minimum order £40. Superb customer service and a lower than Tesco brands promise or you get vouchers. No silly subs, they call and ask if it's OK to deliver early, have only been late once since August and texted to let me know. One hour delivery slots. Polite friendly drivers will bring shopping into kitchen if you want. Ocado on the Go app is brilliant and means you can do shopping on train/bus, while having pedicure etc. Website really easy to use and if they don't stock stuff you want you can do a product request.

If you're on a budget though, Ocado may tempt you to buy too much.

Waitrose
    Free delivery at any time, minimum order £50. Discount on first order and free delivery I think. Superb customer service, polite and friendly drivers. You can specify no subs if you wish. Tesco brand price match. Sometimes it pays to order with Waitrose because even if their prices can simetimes be a bit higher on some things, free delivery saves money if the other store is charging 6.99 to deliver on a Saturday morning. If you sign up for a MyWaitrose card you will get vouchers you can use online or instore. Have never had any freebies. Hate the website, the old one was far better.

Abel & Cole
    £10 minimum order, 99p delivery, no timed slots, great customer service, have had some nice freebies. Superb food. Much of it more expensive than supermarkets but you can find the odd bargain and they do special offers. Website not difficult to use but fairly basic. Never had any subs since started ordering in August.

The rest..

Tesco - late also early without warning, silly subs, missing items, grumpy staff. Discount off first order. Website easy to use.
    ASDA same as above. I think ASDA cheaper on own brands than the big four.
    Sainsbury's - not quite as bad as Tesco and ASDA but have been late. Discount off first order. Great customer services dept. Website really easy to use.
    Shorters Club - polite friendly driver, not timed slots, only used once so far, useful for bulk orders of non-perishables and non-food items. Website easy to use.
  • Lindy_-_Loo
    Options
    I use tesco mainly - never had any problems in 6 years. Sainsburys are also good but they dont price match any subs like tesco do.

Asda are beyond bad - terrible service!

As someone has said take advantage of any new customer offers.
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • fashionlover10
    Options
    I've only used Tesco and Sainsburys so far. Both have been great and turned up slightly early both times. Tesco has £12 off a £60 spend for new customers right now too
  • frugal_shopper_2
    Options
    Bear in mind that online food shopping isn't just limited to the supermarkets.
    I recently purchased enough Cafedirect coffee beans to last me more than 6 months from www.rosspa.co.uk making a saving of over £200 on the normal shop price for them.
    I don't have easy access to good indian or asian supermarkets where I currently live but places like http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk http://www.waiyeehong.com http://www.wingyip.com etc... offer similar ranges of products at similar prices.
    Things like flour can be purchased direct from the mill.
    Amazon have an extensive grocery section, while you couldn't do a full shop there they do have some good offers & regularly offer free delivery on things.

Splitting your shopping between multiple companies according to who is cheapest & bulk buying items you will always use when they come up particularly cheap often works out more economical than doing it all in one place.
  • BabyCakes_2
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Will read through all the replies once my daughter is in bed later.
  • mwbrown
    mwbrown Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    alfsmum wrote: »
    Ocado for me at the moment. Website easy to use, deliveries always on time, good customer service, Tesco price match on many items, plus they stock all the bits and bobs I'd otherwise have to go to two or three places to buy. One hour slots from 0630 to about 2300 and I can usually get a next-day slot if needed.

We have used all the online supermarkets and to be honest they are all about the same (used to prefer OCADO, but after a poor service for the last few deliveries - damaged items, poor packaging, missing items, delivery cancelled due to the van breaking down (which I totally understand), so cancelled the order, but the order arrived the following morning!). Used to rave about OCADO, but wouldn't shop with them again - due to the poor cust service (they wouldn't arrange to collect some damaged items with our next delivery, rather than having to wait in for the collection and to then have to wait in for the delivery).

Done the last couple of shops at sainsburys and had no issues whatsoever (had a couple of subs, which were acceptable).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure