How do you pay off an Argos card?

Options
Cee
Cee Posts: 237 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,
I've recently been given a great opportunity to transfer a balance from a credit card to a new one at a better rate, but I can't pay off my Argos card either by credit card payment or a balance transfer as I'm told they don't allow it, so short of paying for my cash goods every month with new credit card and using the spare cash to pay off the Argos I can't see any way around it :(

Why are they allowed not to accept this when I can pay off other debts such as catalogues with a credit card?

I was hoping my spare cash was going to clear my overdraught off then have my old debts with the new credit card which would be used ineffect as a loan payment but now its not worked out thanks to Argos.

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions, I've considered not paying Argos and maybe let it go to a company who would then accept a card payment but I don't want to run the risk of that backfiring either.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They don't need to accept any form of payment they don't want to.

If the card doesn't allow BTS (because of it not being a 16 digit number for example), then you will need to make debit card or cash payments.

Defaulting on the card just so you can pay a DCA with a credit card seems an insane idea.

Check to see if your new credit card allows money transfers.
  • weebit
    weebit Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    Its also about the CC company and what payments they will allow. Most CC companies won't BT to Argos, but MBNA will (I've done it).

If possible, do a Money Transfer from the CC to your bank account and pay off the Argos card that way.
    Aiming to pay off £50,312.94 in less than 3 years - Starting from December 2015
    Current debt total: £32,756.02 (as of 1st March 2018)
    Date Free Date Aim: Summer 2019 (8 extra months needed :( )
  • Cee
    Cee Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    I know it sounds insane but the interest I would have been getting with the credit card is 4% to their 29% of which I will be paying them around £35 interest every month because all i've been able to do for such a long time is the minimum payment.

As I said, i've had a turn around and some good luck, I just wish when I had the cash I had paid them off instead of the other debts I had paid off that way I would have been home and dry and just paying off the balance at a lower interest rate.

I'm cross because of they way they have you in a corner and you just can't come out fighting.

The new credit card allows cash withdrawals of around £250 I will take a look later as I'm about to get ready for work.

I just wish I knew this before taking on the card in the first place, it seems with doing a spot of googling I'm not the only one who has found this out :(

Many thanks for the reply
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I've been trying to do this for days now!! Calling argos, and my credit card company (Halifax visa and Virgin mastercard) Argos saying they 'do' allow balance transfers, but CC's saying Argos don't!

Anyway, I transferred cash from my CC to my current account (5% transfer fee) then paid my Argos card with that.

x
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • weebit
    weebit Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    zepsgal wrote: »
    Oh I've been trying to do this for days now!! Calling argos, and my credit card company (Halifax visa and Virgin mastercard) Argos saying they 'do' allow balance transfers, but CC's saying Argos don't!

Anyway, I transferred cash from my CC to my current account (5% transfer fee) then paid my Argos card with that.

x

You should have been able to BT to Argos from your Virgin. I did that in September 2012. Virgin is provided by MBNA. But a Money transfer is the next-best thing really.
    Aiming to pay off £50,312.94 in less than 3 years - Starting from December 2015
    Current debt total: £32,756.02 (as of 1st March 2018)
    Date Free Date Aim: Summer 2019 (8 extra months needed :( )
  • mummybearx
    Options
    weebit wrote: »
    You should have been able to BT to Argos from your Virgin. I did that in September 2012. Virgin is provided by MBNA. But a Money transfer is the next-best thing really.

Nope, wasn't 'allowed'. I called both Argos and Virgin, it couldn't be done. It's the Argos card that wouldn't allow it, no idea why tbh. Something to do with there being two types of Argos card, one that can BT and one that can't (for whatever reason). I had one that can't :(
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    Dr_Cuckoo3 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    zepsgal wrote: »
    Nope, wasn't 'allowed'. I called both Argos and Virgin, it couldn't be done. It's the Argos card that wouldn't allow it, no idea why tbh. Something to do with there being two types of Argos card, one that can BT and one that can't (for whatever reason). I had one that can't :(

transfer it from Virgin to your current account and pay Argos from your current account
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mummybearx
    Options
    Dr_Cuckoo3 wrote: »
    transfer it from Virgin to your current account and pay Argos from your current account
    That's what I did do, money from CC to my current account, paid argos off that way x
  • Curr946
    Curr946 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    its because argo is not a credit card, its a store card and is not lists on the visa / mastercard list. Therefore the CC would need to send the funds to the sort code and account number. This is basically a cash transfer.
    If you keep on doing what's you've always done, you'll keep on being what you've always been...:think:
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Cee wrote: »
    I've recently been given a great opportunity to transfer a balance from a credit card to a new one at a better rate, but I can't pay off my Argos card either by credit card payment or a balance transfer as I'm told they don't allow it,
    Withdraw cash from the old card before transferring the balance. This will cost you ~3% I think.
    Use the cash to pay your Argos card off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure