PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

My grandparents are being bullied out of there leeshold property, any advice?

Options
My grandparents live on a mobile homes sight, and have done for about 25 years along with about 40 other people. A lot of the homes have extensions etc. The leasehold is indefinite on the property. About 2 months ago the land was sold to a man who at first told everyone that they would not be asked to move (not that he could ask them because of the length of the lease), he would wait for them basically to pop their clogs (its an old peoples sight, no kids pets aloud etc). He then started saying "how would you like to live with travelers" and that he was going to move all his family and friends onto the sight. Since then there have been three homes completely burnt out and today another one was burnt out whilst a couple was on holiday. It has been traced to the owner by the police. (it will be on local news tonight, maybe national but not sure) No one seems to be able to do anything about it. They can’t sell as they think he wont let them (can he do this?) Everyone is just moving out this month as they are all so scared. The council has offered them sheltered accommodation for the night. Is there nothing that can be done about this, it seems like he is just getting his way by been a violent bully. I’m so angry. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated on this matter.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,002 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Since then there have been three homes completely burnt out and today another one was burnt out whilst a couple was on holiday. It has been traced to the owner by the police.

You shouldn't have further bother once the owner has been detained at her majesty's pleasure!

I would think his card has been well and truly marked now.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    God god this is so shocking!

The only thing i can suggest is whether your family have insurance - if not, they better get some pronto ( dont forget quidco cash back)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • kay_fin
    kay_fin Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    For some reason the insurance companies have not paid out on the other homes. They also think that he is not working alone so even if he is locked up theres still a danger. Also when he gets out he can just start where he left off. They think he may be working for a bigger company, if he could build luxury flats on the land he could make so much money (its in a really sort after area)
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.phhc.co.uk/content/q_law.htm

graham watts is THE UK expert on mobile home sites problems - give him an email - tel him "clutton" recommended him, he will know who i am - good luck
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    This is truely shocking.

Whiel this should not be happeneing, your grandparents need to make sure that anything they have of value is put away in given to someone else for looking after - something that if this happened they would not lose them. While it is OK for the council to say the will put them up by doing this then this nutter could well do their home while the are gone. I can totally understand why everyone is so scared. But for the main thing I would tell them to make sure that everything they hold very dear (photo's, insurance documents, family mementos, etc... be packed into a case and given away so they cannot be destroyed.

What a digusting world we live in that pensioners can be hounded out o the places they have lived for years so a company can make more money, I think I am incline to agree with you on that one, he will probably not work for a bigger company but more for himself who has bought the and for himself but has seen tat with no-one there then property developers will buy it for 5 times more than he paid. Disgraceful.

Oh yes, could they not get some sort of covert camera fitted just in case so they can pass this to the police if need be?
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I think they should take legal advice straight away.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • epz_2
    epz_2 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Options
    i agree with the others that legal advice is needed but i would also look at trying to create some sort of poison pill to remove any incentive for taking out such actions.

geting the local council to permantly deny planning permission to anything apart from caravans etc should do it, otherwise i would be tempted to get your grandparents to move out after checking the lease to ensure there is no minimum residency period and infor them you will be keeping on the lease regardless out of spite.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    kay - i cannot urge you strongly enough to contact graham watts - he WILL know what to do
  • freebird65
    freebird65 Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is an absolute shocker - I can't advise anything as I have no knowledge on the subject, but epz's point makes sense and I'd absolutely take clutton's advice - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain from giving it a try.

How about contacting Watchdog or a local news channel or paper? This must be a newsworthy piece and such publicity may scare this "person" into laying off the bullying tactics whilst you get some sort of defence campaign together.

Good luck!
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    epz wrote: »
    geting the local council to permantly deny planning permission to anything apart from caravans etc should do it, .

This is not possible.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure