Vodafone student discount

Options
worker
worker Posts: 12 Forumite
My daughter signed up recently for a vodafone contract as she was just going off to uni. She was offered a 10 percent student discount with a code to use within 30 days provided she had a student "P" number and a .ac.uk student email address.
Unfortunately her library induction and uni email address came after the 30 day cut off, and vodafone have, in one email and one phone call, refused to let her have the discount, citing the 30 day cut off.
She has yet to try emailing the "Employee Advantage" program as has been suggested in the email to her.
Is this typical of vodafone and is an email to their Employee Advantage likely to be positive? It falls short of what I would expect of a reputable company, but if they want to play hardball on T's and C's then their attitude is noted for when contract renewal comes up.
As she just had a price increase too she is not a happy bunny...

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If its after the 30 days , cant see how voda are at fault.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • worker
    Options
    I'm not saying they are at fault as my daughter knew about the 30 days - but she couldn't get her uni email account in time, so I think she has a reasonable excuse. But if she is fobbed off I will advise her to switch at the end of her contract. As I did for all my company vodafone mobiles where I switched to T mobile. After all ultimately that is the market in action: making students - future customers- unhappy, for a few pounds may not be a great idea in the long term.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 November 2012 at 7:56PM
    Options
    Vindictiveness is hardly the best emotion when making a business decision. If in 2 years Vodafone offer the best deal it makes no sense to pay more to somebody else for the sake of taking revenge for the lost discount.
    It the same costs less elsewhere, it makes no sense to stay with Voda only because they gave you a discount 2 years ago.
  • worker
    Options
    We are in interesting "Prisoners Dilemma" territory here for those familiar with game theory. Always punish a defaulter! I'm not sure I would trust vodafone to offer the best deal even if it appeared best in 2 years time. For example they can put their prices up mid term. They may offer apparent discounts subject to difficult-to-meet terms. If they lose my trust they lose my business. And in the long run if enough people take this view then they will be forced to offer real value, not silly little T & C traps.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 November 2012 at 8:20PM
    Options
    worker wrote: »
    ...they can put their prices up mid term.
    So can their competitors.
    They may offer apparent discounts subject to difficult-to-meet terms. If they lose my trust they lose my business.
    I don't see how offering some terms and sticking to them can be a reason for losing customers' trust. Quite the opposite.
    As I said: emotions, emotions...

And no, I am not their fan. Usually I am the first to throw a stone at them.
  • worker
    Options
    Emotions and expectations are very powerful and should not be disregarded. I am looking for a company that will go the extra mile for me. For example M&S don't have to accept all the returns that they do. I don't accept that because competitors can also act in the same way that they will do. If they did there would be no reason to switch would there? I am certainly happy with my switch from vodafone to T mobile.
    Terms can be offered which with hindsight are unreasonable in certain circumstances and can indeed lead to a loss of trust. You may think that displays a lack of reason, a display of emotion even...but there you have it, a typical consumer!
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    worker wrote: »
    I am certainly happy with my switch from vodafone to T mobile.
    So why on earth would you let your DD sign up with Vodafone then ?
    It's not just about the money
  • worker
    Options
    Daughter is 18, did her own research, came up with what she thought was a good deal taking the student discount into consideration. Now being unhappy with the service she has bought is all part of a learning process. I can offer advice, she decides!
  • worker
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    I don't see how offering some terms and sticking to them can be a reason for losing customers' trust. Quite the opposite.
    As I said: emotions, emotions...

As an example, there is the eminently sensible requirement to report the loss of a phone to prevent huge bills being racked up. But BBC Watchdog reported that it was not always easy to contact the companies to report the loss: customers reported being kept on hold and not being able to get through. So as the loss was not reported in good time, the customers were liable for large bills (as per the terms). Insisting on full payment ("sticking to the terms") was clearly not reasonable, and I would suggest would have led to a loss of trust to put it mildly. But in the cases featured the companies backed down to some degree.
  • T_T_2
    T_T_2 Posts: 880 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2012 at 11:03AM
    Options
    Vodafone have held up their end of the contract and so too should you. If you are not happy to be held to the terms of a contract then you should not sign one.

Vodafone are a business not a welfare society for benevolent students. It reminds me of the saying 'don't count your chickens before they've hatched'. Any contract that relies on you taking action by a deadline should be seriously considered before signing. Nothing in life is guaranteed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure