Yaris through fill of oil in 1 month .......advice please

Options
BOBS
BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
Hi - and thank you in advance for any advice.
Our 11 year old Yaris with 80k on clock has went through its fill of oil within a month. Doing about 200 miles a week. Mechanic guy at garage reckons we should get rid.
We had the zump (sp) changed about 6 months ago and this is 2nd oil top up. Having a bit of a panic here.
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]

Comments

• Hezzawithkids
    Options
    My 10 year old Avensis had the same problem, I was topping up the oil at least once a month. I had it checked over many times, no leaks anywhere and it wasn't being burned off, no explanation. You could spend a small fortune trying to find out what's causing it then get it fixed or you could just keeping topping up until you can afford a new car. If you Google the issue you'll find that you're not alone :(

One thing that did help was avoiding supermarket petrol.
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
    £2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Have you had it 11 years? or was it a "one lady owner" (=not looked after properly)?

You haven't mentioned if its leaking oil on the ground or if there have been any odd noises (which should always be checked asap, though many just whack the radio up).
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BOBS wrote: »
    Hi - and thank you in advance for any advice.
    Our 11 year old Yaris with 80k on clock has went through its fill of oil within a month. Doing about 200 miles a week. Mechanic guy at garage reckons we should get rid.
    We had the zump (sp) changed about 6 months ago and this is 2nd oil top up. Having a bit of a panic here.

Do youi know what oil is in it? Maybe a higher viscosity would help - e.g go up to 15W40 or even 20W50.
  • BOBS
    Options
    There is no noises, no smoke, def no oil leaks - all pretty clean.

Not sure of history - does have a decent service record with dealership though and we have had it for year and a half with really no other issues.

Have been using petrol from local maxol - not supermarket.

As for oil - dont know what kind - just whatever the local garage puts in for me - will check if hubby knows.

Thanks for this !
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,352 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It was a problem with a lot of Celica's from 2000 to 2003 when Toyota made changes to the engine. From what as been said on Celica forums there is nothing to do except keep pouring oil in or get rid of the car.
    Sorry
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    or was it a "one lady owner" (=not looked after properly)?

Thanks for the stereotyping... There's plenty of people, male or female, who don't look after their car properly, or simply don't know how to do really basic things. I was picking up my car from the garage last year when a guy walked in asking how much to change an indicator bulb because he didn't know how - he had looked in the owner's manual but thought it looked complicated :rotfl: Granted, on some cars some bulbs can be a bit of a PITA to change but still... The mechanic told me that they see a lot of that now.

And apologies to the OP for the off-topic ;)
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If I remember rightly the tolerable oil consumption for these was 1l/1000kms and the amount needed to bring the dipstick from low to full is 1.5l. So going from full to needing oil in Toyotas estimation is still OK is about 940 miles, so you are beyond that, but not be a whole heap. Remember that a lot of these things were real town cars, to such an extent that Toyota warned owners if they used the cars for short journeys the dipstick reading might be false (too high!) because of the fuel and condensate in the sump.
    Good news is that there is still a belief that these are great cars and there is a (to be very shortly disappointed) group of buyers looking for them.
  • BOBS
    Options
    so maybe keep checking and topping up a few weeks and play by ear ? ?
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For those people who say that their car "uses" a lot of oil, but that the car does not burn oil and that it is not leaking oil, just what are the alternatives, apart from the "Oil pixie" syphoning out oil at night whilst you are asleep?
    Any car which regularly "use" oil at the rate of 1litre per 800 miles is burning oil - unless it is all gathering in the coolant tank due to a head gasket failure.
  • BOBS
    Options
    andy - mechanic seems to think head gasket ok. We thought that if the car was burning oil there would be at least smoke or some kind of smell ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport