Yaris through fill of oil in 1 month .......advice please

Options
124»

Comments

• reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    not sure. I have worked with engine oil and earbox oil on my car, and the gear oil is 75W90 and is runny, engine oil is 15W40 and is thick.

So it's just a guess.

Either way you should never ever switch oil grades and deviate from the car makers spec. It's just plain stupid, the leak is caused by someone else, without any hose leaks I'm guessing it's leaking somewhere in the engine so the engine block needs to be dismantled to identify faults inside. I doubt change in oil grade will fix that.

Also mixing oil grades inside the car can't be good for the engine

It's confusing but gear oils use a different viscosity rating scale from engine oils so you can't compare the numbers and draw any conclusions.
  • Londoner_1
    Options
    Common problem with old Toyotas.

Toyotas fitted with the 1.8 vvti's suffered from high oil consumption due to poor piston bore design. This lead to excessive oil consumption and normally hits the engine when it gets to 50k but can also be anytime after this.

Google it as the problem is well documented.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    a higher viscosity means its more runny, if anything it will cause more leaks as the oil is thinner

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • djcat
    djcat Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    not sure. I have worked with engine oil and earbox oil on my car, and the gear oil is 75W90 and is runny, engine oil is 15W40 and is thick.

So it's just a guess.

FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil#Grades
  • bloghog
    bloghog Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    a litre every 1,000 miles is not unusual and that would be something like the difference between the top and bottom marks on the dipstick on many cars. Has it suddenly started doing this?
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    yes it is a new problem - topped car up with oil a week ago and doesnt seem to have used too much - going to keep a really close eye on it. What oil is recommended ? - usually just get local garage to top up from their supply but thinking should buy some to keep at home.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    Options
    It should say somewhere in the handbook what the recommended oil viscosity is.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • steve-L
    steve-L Posts: 12,981 Forumite
    Options
    My Honda has never required a top up between services (including the exhaustive paperwork from the 1st owner who expensed EVERYTHING) and has 175,000 miles (25k with me)
    My BMW (125k, 15 with me) sometimes asks for a top up between services..(according to previous owner)..then the instructions say pour in 1L exactly. He said that tends to be too much but he only had to do it once or twice.

Both are good engines, just different.
  • oldtoolie
    Options
    My 11 year old Honda does use a bit of oil -- probably in the 1l @ 1000m bracket. I keep it topped up with Halfords own brand bought on sale. It isn't really a problem as long as it passes the MOT and doesn't leave a smoke cloud behind me.
  • zappahey
    zappahey Posts: 2,252 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    Please explain.

Getting miffed about the ginger stereotype, then pulling out the Italian stereotype.
    What goes around - comes around
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family