We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Parsnips in bottles

Options
After three summers of trying I think I have finally worked out how to grow parsnips in plastic bottles. The first year I put sieved soil in the bottles, and didn't do too well. The second year I put leaf mould, and if I hadn't got a twelve ounce beauty from the very last bottle, after many duff bottles, I would have given up. This year I put a ratio of six leaf mould to four sieved soil in the bottle, and sometimes about half and half. So far this summer I have pulled about 27 bottles, I have had about 7 duff ones, most of which I pulled early. From the other about 20 bottles I have harvested 13LBs 120z of parsnips, all tender with no woodies. The picture should be more or less self explanitory of what I do, any two litre bottle will do, I would like to try a 3litre, but I haven't found one yet. You must punch about four holes close to the neck, because the tap root will eventually fill up the neck, so you will need some extra drainage. I put the bottles touching in their rows, when they lean over, you know the root is getting long and large, and when the water will not drain from the top, you know you have a big un in there (some of mine have been over a pound). If you think digging up deep rooted parsnips is hard work, just wait until you try to extract a parsnip from a bottle it has grown into like a glove. You could slit the bottle to get the parsnip out, but I like to use them over and over again. I grew three types this summer: Hollow Crown, Trusted and True, and Gladiator F1, but the labels fell off, so I don't know what is what. I think I will stick with Gladiator, because that was the most expensive, that was the one I grew the most of, and I reckon the big ones were Gladiator. I am not saying this is the only way to grow parsnips, but if you are not having much success with them, you might like to try a few bottles next year. Fill up the bottles with the cap on, take them to the place in the garden where you are planting the row, make a hole with a dibber, take off the cap and plonk the bottle in the hole. It's a time consuming way of growing parsnips, I will agree, but you can do it in the green house or shed if the weather's wet, and you can start a bit early, if you keep the bottles indoors for a while - I have racks I have made from old wood to stack them in.

IMG_0075%5B3%5D.jpg?psid=1

I do the same thing with carrots, I had a bad start to this summer with the slugs eating everything, but I have quite a few bottles going at the moment, and I have just pulled a few and put them in the greenhouse to avoid the frosts, I haven't a clue how they will do in there, but it's worth a finding out. I did get a bottle with over a pound in it this summer, but that's not the usual case, half a pound or so is more like the amount I get from a bottle. Three in each bottle, set at about 120 degrees apart.

IMG_0045%5B3%5D.jpg?psid=1

I don't know if you will be able to see these photos, it's been a year since I posted my Bags of Vegetables post with pictures, and Skydrive has changed its interface. I won't bother how many hours I have spent on public library computers or how I may have finally solved the problem, but I am sure you will let me know if you can't see them -then will be back to the drawing board for me.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How ingenious! My last lot of carrots were a washout. The slugs ate them.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Brilliant, Colin great idea, will give it a go next year.
  • EpsomOldie
    Options
    Very good idea - I'll give it a go too.
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I like this idea.... especially if I can use plastic cider bottles ;}

I'll give it a go, and I can blame you if it all goes wrong!
  • colinS
    colinS Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    I just want to add a couple of things that in my haste to get this thread posted I left out.

When you fill the bottles, as they get about half full, tamp the soil down lightly, then fill to the top and tamp again. Make a depression in the center and put two seeds in, cover and water. The soil will compact over time, so that is why tamping is quite important.

These bottles need more attention than when parsnips are grown in their usual way, and I think that was one of the reasons for my earlier failures. Do water them regularly. I have a bucket of manure with water in it that I keep topped up, and I always add a little of this to my water. I know professional gardeners don't think liquid feeding does much good, but in this case it might, and I certainly think it doesn't do any harm.
  • jj@8cv
    jj@8cv Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a good idea. How deep do you "plant" the bottles? Last year I germinated my parsnips on kitchen paper before transplanting into toilet roll centres and then the allotment but I think I might try transplanting into bottles next year.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't have too much trouble with parsnips in deep beds, but if I didn't have those, I'd give this a go. Great idea. :)

In fact I might have a go anyway, because this would be a good way to grow a few in the polytunnel. I wonder if it could be semi hydroponic? ie bottles packed into a large trough and fed with liquid feed from the bottom too.

I think you could slit the bottles if you needed to, as polytunnel repair tape, or similar, would be an option to repair it afterwards.
  • colinS
    Options
    [EMAIL="jj@8cv"]jj@8cv[/EMAIL],

Most of the bottle is above ground, it's mainly the neck and a little bit of the shoulder under ground. As I put in my post, once the tap root grows large they will lean over if you have them in a row. Remember I have planted the bottles touching, this is quite intensive parsnip growing, and I also do this in groups, but I haven't lifted any of those yet, and they are not in the best of positions, so I don't expect too much from them.
  • colinS
    Options
    Davesnave,

On the hydroponic theme, I think the soil would wash out of the bottles.

What I am interested in is how long they can be stored once lifted, none of this storing carrots in sand, just leave them in the bottles in the shed or greenhouse and keep watering them. I am eating the parsnips to fast to find out about them, but I have quite a few bottles of carrots in the garden.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    colinS wrote: »
    Davesnave,

On the hydroponic theme, I think the soil would wash out of the bottles.

It might, but I'd be looking for ways to avoid that, like putting lots of smaller holes in the bottle neck and leaving the tops in place.

Anyway, I drink so much pop, this has to be tried! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport