Parcelforce driver - very dangerous driving!

Options
I have just submitted the following complaint via the parcelforce website:

I wish to complain about one of your drivers. As I was driving to work this morning (02/04/07) at about 7:20am in Leeds, I witnessed some of the worst driving I have ever seen. The driver was in a van with the lisence plate number KE54 BLN. THe van was swerving about from lane to lane, often indicating in the wrong direction or not indicating at all. At one point the van nearly ran into the side of my car and had I not slammed on my brakes it would almost certainly forced me into the central reservation. The van also drove through a red light and I observed it pulling out into other peoples paths several times.
Obviously this is very worrying as it seems like the driver was a danger to himself and others on the road. Either the driver was at fault or the van was in some way faulty, as this was very dangerous driving. I hope you will investigate this incident and ensure that the van is checked for faults and the driver retrained in safe driving and the highway code.

Is there anything else I can do? It really was quite scary, especially when I had to slam my brakes on to avoid being rammed into the central reservation. Any suggestions on whether or not it needs reporting to anywhere else to make sure it gets attention.

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    If the driving was really as bad as you are saying in your post could you maybe speak to the police? Though Im not sure they would be able to say or do anything but they may keep an eye out for the van?
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • sleepy
    sleepy Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    I did consider calling the Police, but obviously couldn't use my mobile in the car (no hands free!) and by the time I got to work I realised that I couldn't tell them where the van was, and they probably wouldn't do anything, but hopefully some traffic police out and about will spot him and have a word. It really was that bad! I actually don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it before, and I quite often have to do long trips from up North to London, it was really quite scary.
  • Ironside
    Ironside Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    I witnessed similar bad driving involving a private car.

It pulled out from a side road in front of me causing me to do an emergency stop to prevent an accident. It then swerved from side to side, crossing the middle of the road several times. It stopped in a shoppers car park in front of me. I went to take a note of the registration and noted the elderly driver got out with a white stick!!!!! He helped his wife (I presume) from the passenger side, and she led him with his white stick to the shops.

I phoned the Police, but all they said was that, as an accident had not happened, then there was nothing they could do :confused:
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well what do you expect them to do?

Theres no proof of an offence, so all they'd do is waste hours sorting it out.
  • oldbill1969
    oldbill1969 Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ironside wrote: »
    I witnessed similar bad driving involving a private car.

It pulled out from a side road in front of me causing me to do an emergency stop to prevent an accident. It then swerved from side to side, crossing the middle of the road several times. It stopped in a shoppers car park in front of me. I went to take a note of the registration and noted the elderly driver got out with a white stick!!!!! He helped his wife (I presume) from the passenger side, and she led him with his white stick to the shops.

I phoned the Police, but all they said was that, as an accident had not happened, then there was nothing they could do :confused:

Think you have been fobbed off on this one, there does'nt have to be an accident as you have reported facts which on the face of it are driving without due care. However to proceed with the driving offence you would have to provide a full detailed statement of the incident and be prepared to go to Court. There is another angle where you are not prepared to go to Court, in that the driver could be spoken to assess why his driving was so poor at the relevant time.
  • Ironside
    Ironside Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    FlameCloud wrote: »

Well, do you think that a person who walks with a white stick should be driving?
  • dangeroussports
    dangeroussports Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    Options
    Ironside wrote: »
    Well, do you think that a person who walks with a white stick should be driving?

Only a monkey would give a driving 'licence' (lisence..lol) to a person with a white stick - blind?

The police could not do very much about it to be honest. Unless the witness is prepared to go to court AND the Crown prosecution are prepared to present the matter before a magistrate. At a large cost. Thousands.

Even IF it did go all the way from an independant witness, the chances are that the SUN newspaper would make it into page 1 or 5 news with the headline 'PC gone barmy!' and why the police are not catching REAL criminals.

Ad nauseum.
  • mattymoo
    mattymoo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Options
    FlameCloud wrote: »

Not so.
    All large fleet operators are concerned about their accident record and resultant insurance costs. Many invest thousands of pounds in telematics systems, driver training and accident / near miss recording systems.

It is likely the OP's complaint will sit on the drivers file. Two or three similar complaints will result in a driver assessment being carried out.

Royal Mail / Parcelforce are one of the biggest commercial vehicle fleets in the UK so you can bet they have systems in place for this type of thing.
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mattymoo wrote: »
    Not so.
    All large fleet operators are concerned about their accident record and resultant insurance costs. Many invest thousands of pounds in telematics systems, driver training and accident / near miss recording systems.

It is likely the OP's complaint will sit on the drivers file. Two or three similar complaints will result in a driver assessment being carried out.

Royal Mail / Parcelforce are one of the biggest commercial vehicle fleets in the UK so you can bet they have systems in place for this type of thing.

They might do, but the police certainly don't, which is what I was replying about!
  • klondyke
    klondyke Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    Friends saw some extremely erratic driving; lurching all over the road etc and called police. Good thing they did as driver was having an epileptic fit and ended up in a ditch - a miracle no one was hurt. This was a few years back - doubt if police would respond these days!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure