Barclays Response To The Bbc Whistleblower Programme

Options
see http://w3.cantos.com/07/pimento-703-fmdfc/index_main.php?task=view&i=1&type=video&language=en&section=interview&cnt=bb&med=asx&m=false

. The BBC Whistleblower programme has made some pretty severe accusations against Barclays. What do you have to say?
A. These are serious allegations. We take them very seriously. We don't condone this sort of behaviour at all and we will act.
Q. But customers are going to be worried about their accounts aren't they? Is their money safe?
A. I can understand that customers would be worried about their money having seen some of that programme, but I can categorically assure them that they needn't worry. We deal with millions of customer accounts and millions of transactions every day, and nearly every single one of those goes absolutely right. And if on those very rare occasions where something doesn't go right, we always make sure that the customer doesn't lose out.
Q. But didn't this programme just show that you're not putting the customer first?
A. Putting customers first really matters to us. It lies at the heart of our business. It's an area we have put huge energy and effort into over the last year and we've made great strides. We're very, very proud of that. We're getting excellent feedback now in our customer surveys and in other feedback mechanisms. Now that doesn't mean to say there's not more we can do. There's always more you can do in this area, but what I'm saying is it's very important to us that our customers are absolutely at the heart of everything we do.
Q. So what are you going to do now?
A. We don't condone in any way the sort of behaviour we've seen on the programme. We need to investigate, to establish the facts, and then we need to take appropriate and swift action. I'm sure that the thousands of colleagues of mine who work in Barclays, just like me, will be horrified by what they have seen and will know that's not the way they and their colleagues behave. So they will expect action and they will expect it quickly, and that's what we'll do.

Comments

• spurious_2
    spurious_2 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    What a load of hot air.

Barclays Bank couldn't give two hoots about their customers, and I say that as an employee. They are widely known by the CAB and CCCS to be the most difficult bank to negotiate an agreement with when a customer is in financial difficulties. They sack a load of people from their Manchester call centre in order to shift the jobs to Mumbai, and we all know what's going to happen to the level of service there. They actively sell secured loans to people in dire straights and present it as a 'solution'. If I had a pound for every person I spoke with who didn't realise they were being charged for a Barclays 'Additions' account, I'd be rich enough not to have to work there.

As we might have predicted, this is just an example of senior management being completely naive and detached from the reality going on in their own branches.

Shame on them for not being big enough to hold up their hands and apologise but instead hide behind this tiresome claptrap we've come to expect from the big multinationals and their even bigger profits.
  • computerwoman
    computerwoman Posts: 4,075 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't trust them that's why I switched from,
    they are all a load of wallies,
    every bank
    cw

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
  • Matthew_W_Barrett
    Options
    spurious wrote: »
    What a load of hot air.

Barclays Bank couldn't give two hoots about their customers, and I say that as an employee. They are widely known by the CAB and CCCS to be the most difficult bank to negotiate an agreement with when a customer is in financial difficulties. They sack a load of people from their Manchester call centre in order to shift the jobs to Mumbai, and we all know what's going to happen to the level of service there. They actively sell secured loans to people in dire straights and present it as a 'solution'. If I had a pound for every person I spoke with who didn't realise they were being charged for a Barclays 'Additions' account, I'd be rich enough not to have to work there.

As we might have predicted, this is just an example of senior management being completely naive and detached from the reality going on in their own branches.

Shame on them for not being big enough to hold up their hands and apologise but instead hide behind this tiresome claptrap we've come to expect from the big multinationals and their even bigger profits.

sorry, i know this post is old,(or if theres a more specific post) but ive just found i too have been duped into an additions account.Barclays have so far charged me just under £1000 for this service.Is there any movment against Barclays for this?

Ive just spent the last hour on the phone being passed from department to department without getting a straight answer.apparently they have a department spcifically for duped customers, but its not open till 8am.

I just wanted to see if i could read other peoples stories before i pursue this again in the morning....

your helps muchos apprecited....
    Im buying my 9th mansion with this years christmas bonus!!!
  • doitmyself
    doitmyself Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    ....apparently they have a department spcifically for duped customers, but its not open till 8am.

Hi MWB
    This is your take on something you saw/heard, right? I mean the banks now have specific departments for customers they've duped???!!!
    If true that would be a fantastic story! :)
  • bergy2
    bergy2 Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have had 3 phone calls now from apparent Barclays Account people and it was well suss with them trying to get personal info out of me - latest one said she worked in a local branch - thought the program was very interesting and mirrored my experience

Had A and L trying to book me a special account discussion in the local branch too

Had hundreds of 1st Direct bank mailshots until I cancelled their account

They are such a helpful lot lol
  • ED
    ED Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    Guildford main town branch was a primary feature of the BBC tv programme. While in Surrey recently, I just couldn't resist visiting the branch. Masses of customers were queuing to urgently open ISAs before Tax Year-end. It seems ample people feel their money is secure. Elsewhere on MSE site workers at various banks have commented Barclays are not alone with many of the practices broadcast in 'Whistleblower'. Perhaps the way for customers to survive is remain ever-viligant, scrutinising every bank statement, etc. Re VERBAL 'agreement' to swap to Additions current account (with monthly fee) I sincerely hope Barclays have immediately ceased allowing staff to play this trick. Matthew W Barrett - please keep us posted re your experience. Maybe a stiff letter of complaint would be more effective than phone calls?
  • ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    Barclays have so far charged me just under £1000 for this service.Is there any movment against Barclays for this?

On one account @ £15 p/m, this would imply that you had not noticed you were being charged for 5 and a half years! Is that the case? I'm not saying that it's right that they charged you for a service you did not request, but surely you shouldh ave noticed before now?
  • Matthew_W_Barrett
    Options
    ---lee--- wrote: »
    On one account @ £15 p/m, this would imply that you had not noticed you were being charged for 5 and a half years! Is that the case? I'm not saying that it's right that they charged you for a service you did not request, but surely you shouldh ave noticed before now?

yes, theyve been charging me for 5 and half years, i went the other day to a mortgage advisor and they pointed the charge out to me, i had never noticed it before.

i know that sounds reckless in terms of handling my account, but ive had a few charges for going over drawn, so i never thought much about it, till i actually phoned barclays to find out what the charge was for.
  • Matthew_W_Barrett
    Options
    doitmyself wrote: »
    Hi MWB
    This is your take on something you saw/heard, right? I mean the banks now have specific departments for customers they've duped???!!!
    If true that would be a fantastic story! :)

Yes, i was told there is a specific department to help people with accounts they dont know about, but its only the word from an advisor trying to fob me off.Ive tried calling this "special" department this morning but no ones answering, im going to go my nearset branch on my lunch break instead.

They charge £15 a month for an additions account and its still impossible to get through to someone.

ill keep yaz all posted.
  • Matthew_W_Barrett
    Options
    well ive been to Barclays and they offered me a 6 month refund as a "good will" gesture, its just an admission of guilt as far as im concerned.

I didnt accept the offer, im going to refer this to my lawyer before i consider my next move.

but what about this for a chuckle, I work at ABN amro and I've just been told that if Barclays take over Im probably out of a job........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure