Holiday Club Scams

Options
Hi,

would be interested to hear from anyone ripped off by "holiday clubs" especially in Tenerife, and even more so if you have managed successfully to reclaim on a section 75 or have managed to get a refund.

I don't want to get into a discussion about "if it sounds to good to be true" for once in my life I let my guard down!

Comments

• greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    well if it sounds to good to be tr....... There was a long thread from a particular company r1pp1ng off people with time share and ownership schemes
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • iainmcr
    iainmcr Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    well if it sounds to good to be tr....... There was a long thread from a particular company r1pp1ng off people with time share and ownership schemes

I knew it would be too tempting ;)

I thought there must be a thread somewhere you wouldn't have any idea what the thread was called? I did try a search of threads yesterday but didn't find what i was looking for.

So far I have tried TATOC, Mindtimeshare and Spanish trading standards to no avail (although I am aware that sometimes wheels turn very slowly) just wondering in anyone else has any other strategies. I suppose the next move would be to get legal advice but that might be throwing good money after bad, and I'm very loathe to look at these "no win no fee" outfits, it's taken this experience for me to realise that the holiday industry is a very shark infested pool. :mad:
  • mrs_sparrow
    mrs_sparrow Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    Options
    Who did you buy from, where did you buy it from, how did you buy it and where is the company registered?

I *believe* that if the company is not registered in the UK you can just stop paying the fees and they will just take back the week or points as they cannot proceed through the courts with you living overseas. This is what someone I know did, they just stopped paying, ignored everything and in the end the letters stopped as they could not get the money back.

Are you trying to get your initial outlay back?
  • iainmcr
    iainmcr Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Who did you buy from, where did you buy it from, how did you buy it and where is the company registered?

I *believe* that if the company is not registered in the UK you can just stop paying the fees and they will just take back the week or points as they cannot proceed through the courts with you living overseas. This is what someone I know did, they just stopped paying, ignored everything and in the end the letters stopped as they could not get the money back.

Are you trying to get your initial outlay back?

I'm trying to be very careful not to name the company just in case I need to go down the legal route. It is a company based in the Tenerife, everything they do is to say the least "grey" legally.

It's not the old style time share deal, this is something far more subtle.

You are told that they are not selling time share, but a new way of booking holidays where they cut out the travel agency and therefore the agents fees and commission, which leads to very competitively priced holidays. You are offered a 3 year "taster" pack for about 3000 euros, to include a weeks holiday in their resort (paid for by the Canary Islands tourist board!) a week anywhere in Europe, a week Worldwide and a 10 day cruise stay. They show you the websites you will have access to in order to book holidays once you become a full member. You do however need to return to Tenerife to start this all off.

Once back in Tenerife they then offer you a heavily discounted deal to become a full member straight away rather than wait 3 years, saving some 7000 euros, it's only then that you find out that in order to become a full member you need to have a time share week, but you must not at any time take up the option to use the week, (thereby not incurring maintenance fees), and this will maintain your "holiday club" membership for as long as you want. In order to stop membership all you do is stop paying the annual £100 "admin" fee.

It's only once you get home that you find out the "free" holidays are vouchers from a Gib based company, with so many terms and conditions to make them unusable, and that the websites you were shown aren't the same ones that your membership numbers give access to.

So basically I think a case of misrepresentation and miss selling, so really looking for all my money back, but not holding my breath!!
  • mrs_sparrow
    Options
    Have you called Trading Standards or Consumer Direct to see what they say?

And if you paid by Credit Card have you called them to see what they say?

We are with a club like the one you talk about and have been members for a really long time now and we always bank our week with RCI to go further afield and have more choice but we have never had an issue with not getting what we want, when we want so I do not think it is the same company. When we bought it we bought on finance and when the big PPI claiming thing came in we tried to claim the the PPI back as we was told we had to take it but we would not have been able to claim from it, so I went via the Ombudsman but they said because the Finance company was registered (and we was paying that company) in the Isle of Man we was not eligible for a refund. It was only about £4 a month - not huge sums of money - but a principle was at stake here, lol, so in the respect of claiming back PPI, we was not eligible for that.
  • mart.vader
    mart.vader Posts: 714 Forumite
    Options
    iainmcr wrote: »

So far I have tried TATOC, Mindtimeshare and Spanish trading standards to no avail (although I am aware that sometimes wheels turn very slowly) just wondering in anyone else has any other strategies. I suppose the next move would be to get legal advice but that might be throwing good money after bad, and I'm very loathe to look at these "no win no fee" outfits, it's taken this experience for me to realise that the holiday industry is a very shark infested pool. :mad:

From my experience, I have phoned and emailed dozens of the "no win - no fee" outfits and they will not be in the slightest bit interested, unless its a case of personal injury. (which in your case, it isn't)
  • davidanddeirdre
    Options
    Hi,

would be interested to hear from anyone ripped off by "holiday clubs" especially in Tenerife, and even more so if you have managed successfully to reclaim on a section 75 or have managed to get a refund.

I don't want to get into a discussion about "if it sounds to good to be true" for once in my life I let my guard down!

My wife and I were in Tenerife in January this year, and walking along the front north of Playa las Americas when we were accosted by a couple of pleasant British ladies with clipboards. They asked us about how we were enjoying our holiday, then started talking about local markets, and asked us as far as I remember if we would like to talk to someone about a scheme to promote Tenerife. There was said to be a free bottle of wine in it. We smelt a slight rat, but having plenty of time (and holding on tight to our wallets) went off to see how this developed. We were introduced to this chap in an adjacent holiday emporium. Turned out very quickly to be a holiday club membership salesman. We were told there was a 90 minute presentation. We told this bloke quite clearly we were not interested, because we like to holiday in different places, and keep our options wide open, but he pretty well insisted on giving us the presentation anyway. So we got a cup of coffee and carried on. Can't remember all the details now, but there was an annual subscription which gave the right to holidays in very cheap 4 star accommodation in these resorts all over the world. We saw this "typical and unprepared" appartment in the emporium, which just happened to be decorated with nice pictures and potted plants. It had the biggest washbasin I have ever seen. There was a big emphasis on the 4-star, and there seemed to also be an emphasis on golfing. I remember the subscription seemed quite expensive. Towards the end of the presentation we were taken to a room where it appeared that several other people were enthusiastically signing up- afterwards we wondered if they were actors? Although in there we were leaned on quite heavily, we did turn it down because at the end of the day as we had said in the first place, we were not interested in the concept. I think the salesman had gone through it with us anyway because he had some kind of bet that he could change our minds.
    I'm sure there are people to whom this kind of thing is attractive, I know people personally who participate quite happily in timeshare, but at the end of the day if you don't want to be tied down to a particular style of holiday or particular locations, don't agree to pay out any kind of subscription for such a thing. I would imagine also that if the organisers go broke, you will lose your most recent subscription installment.
    NB, we never got the wine.
  • mrs_sparrow
    Options
    I am not going to profess to knowing everything about all of the schemes out there but timeshare can work for some - we bank ours and then choose from other places in the bank to go on holiday. RCI now gives our week a points value and so we can have 3 or 4 weeks holiday for the value of our one we banked.

We like that a lot of the places are quite exclusive and are generally in places that are trouble free and, because of the criteria, you tend to get a higher class of holiday maker there (I realise that makes me sound stuck up) and these places are usually gated and have restricted access to look after their members. We feel more confident with it going through RCI than picking up some random place on the internet.

We had a holiday at one place and the rack rate was 5k a week as it was quite an exclusive place, we met some US senator there (name escapes me but he was weird and creepy) but it is nice for us to be able to go places like this as we would never be able to afford it otherwise.

I always read the reviews of the accomodation thoroughly to ensure we are getting value for money and we like that we get 2 or 3 bedroom apartments/houses instead of a small room for 2 weeks. We had a stay at a beautiful new townhouse in Florida earlier this year which was amazing and it cost less than a one bed apartment would have cost us for the week.

Not all people find that it works for them and I certainly would not recommend anyone signs up on holiday without reading the pros and cons about the scheme and whether you can make it work for you - it really does depend on what you want from your holidays as to whether it is worth it for you and your family.
  • davidanddeirdre
    Options
    You are quite right Mrs_Sparrow, it is horses for courses. Our approach to a holiday is quite different to yours, we find it enjoyable to take punts sometimes on quite rough looking accommodation in obscure corners of Europe- often you get little gems, sometimes you don't. All I was saying was, don't get tied down to what you don't want. And some of the salespeople for holiday clubs and other subscription schemes are very persuasive, you really don't want to go into any sales pitch meeting with your eyes shut. And not after a few drinks.
  • HoofeHearted
    HoofeHearted Posts: 2,651 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I knew it would be too tempting ;)

I thought there must be a thread somewhere you wouldn't have any idea what the thread was called? I did try a search of threads yesterday but didn't find what i was looking for.

:mad:

Is this what you are looking for?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=848939&page=8
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills