How does BT Openzone actually work ?

Options
We're about to be connected to BT for phone and broadband and I understand we can get free wi-fi access to openzone.

Im sure I will be provided with login details and have no issues with connecting.

My post is more to do with the actual physical set-up of these openzone access points.

Im guessing (and Im probably wrong) is that there is a wi-fi router located within the various phone cabinets you see on the side of roads - and it is these you connect to wirelessly.

HOWEVER, Im reading a LOT of posts on various forums where home users are faced with really high usage figures and are being charged a lot of money.

COULD IT BE that BTs openzone wireless routers (the ones which "may" be located inside the roadside boxes) are connected to a customers phone line (not a spare BT line) and other users are benefitting from the free openzone usage but on an actual customers account.

Just curious.

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 June 2012 at 2:41PM
    Options
    People with BT Broadband have a router which as well as giving the customer broadband access is also transmitting the BT Openzone signal. So in effect all their domestic customers are providing wifi access by using part of their bandwidth.
    Pubs, clubs, and other business outlets may also provide the facility.
    There are no wifi access points in street cabinets.
    They also transmit fon

http://www.btfon.com/
    http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/

So when you get your wireless router in addition to your network you will become part of openzone/fon .
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 June 2012 at 8:26PM
    Options
    BT were considering making BT pay phone kiosks wifi hotspots for open zone but not sure if they ever went ahead with it, would be an easy install too as obviously the line is already there and power for the lighting could be used to power the router,
    I think the OP is confusing posts were users think that because they are part of the BT fon network if someone connects via their router somehow that usage is 'charged' against the person who owns the router account, but it isn't.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it did - a good many of BT's kiosks have been OpenZone enabled and sometimes there is signage saying 'WiFi available here'. Anyone remember Public Telepoint (Phonepoint / Zonephone / Callpoint / Rabbit ) ? History repeats itself!
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm afraid so, used to be built in our Kirkaldy Factory.

rabbit.jpg
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • andrew-the-cat
    Options
    Yes it's nothing special. You just connect to the WIFI networks of other BT customers. You are taken to a captive portal where you log in with your BT account details, and then you can use the other persons internet. The routers they use for this segregate the Openzone WIFI though, so you can't access the other persons computers/etc, so it's relatively secure.
  • MistaSooperAngry
    Options
    So can anyone confirm what I strongly suspect, and that is this. Given that a router has finite bandwidth, were someone to connect to my router's (almost) free for all openzone, with a greater signal than I have off my PC wirelessly, they can and do take my bandwidth?

I raise this as I have recently experienced repeated outages and when I view available networks, the openzone on my router is there with a stronger signal than my native BT network - every time I have issues. When I don't have issues, it isn't visible.

It seems to me that a great number of households are providing free wi-fi bandwidth to 3rd parties who have deals with BT i.e. those who have a trade agreement for access to wi fi networks.

If that isn't correct, can someone explain which portion of bandwidth is allocated by which part of the router as there are 2 distinct parts - my native network (paid for) and openzone which was enabled when the original installation was done.
  • Gray-Fox
    Gray-Fox Posts: 312 Forumite
    Options
    Openzne is a joke and is a complete lie. It never works on my iPhone.
  • Bradfield
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    People with BT Broadband have a router which as well as giving the customer broadband access is also transmitting the BT Openzone signal. So in effect all their domestic customers are providing wifi access by using part of their bandwidth.
    Pubs, clubs, and other business outlets may also provide the facility.
    There are no wifi access points in street cabinets.
    They also transmit fon

http://www.btfon.com/
    http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/

So when you get your wireless router in addition to your network you will become part of openzone/fon .

It is an "opt-in" service so I guess not all customers will choose to allow their Bt broadband to be used as a wifi hotspot.

I also wonder about the role of the Bt home-hub. I changed over to BT broadband yesterday from Orange (so have not had much experience of BT broadband). I have noted however, that I can continue to use my old Netgear router or the BT home hub, if I choose.

If I use my own router instead of the BT home-hub does this mean that I will not be transmitting the BT Openzone signal?

I am guessing I would still be able to get access to other wifi hot-spots even if I did use my old router.
  • Bradfield
    Options
    Yes it's nothing special. You just connect to the WIFI networks of other BT customers. You are taken to a captive portal where you log in with your BT account details, and then you can use the other persons internet. The routers they use for this segregate the Openzone WIFI though, so you can't access the other persons computers/etc, so it's relatively secure.

You can download the BT wifi app: put in your log-in details once and then thereafter you only need to click on the app and connect to an available wifi hot spot without having to log-in again. At least that is the theory (I have actually done it once on my Ipad).

What happens if you dont use the BT home-hub, Andrew? Would a regular Netgear router not permit an Openzone signal?
  • UsernameAlreadyExists
    UsernameAlreadyExists Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2012 at 2:34PM
    Options
    Bradfield wrote: »
    If I use my own router instead of the BT home-hub does this mean that I will not be transmitting the BT Openzone signal?
    Yes. I do the same, I have an old linksys thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

EDIT: I considered trying to sell my brand new, unopened home-hub, but it seemed to be worth about 3 bags of crisps when I looked.
    Bradfield wrote: »
    I am guessing I would still be able to get access to other wifi hot-spots even if I did use my old router.
    Yep.
    My partner uses my BTFON rights on her iphone when she's out and about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure