Dial 9 scam

Options
Is there anywhere we can put pressure to stop this 'dial 9' scam where you get an automated call saying you have won a holiday (or whatever), all you have to to is dial 9, most people now know that this results in an expensive phone call, but can BT not remove this '9' option? Is there any valid reason for it?

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Wasn't that assigned to the 'urban myth' bin some time ago?

Yes > HERE-you-go
    £20 PER MINUTE AND £50 PER MINUTE TELEPHONE 'SCAMS' - URBAN MYTHS

Over the last few days, ICSTIS has received dozens of enquiries about the above 'scams', which are being widely publicised by e-mail. To help us put an end to the current spate of enquiries, please pass this information on to all contacts.

In the first case, the apparent 'deception' takes place when people receive a recorded message informing them that they have won an all-expenses paid holiday and are asked to press 9 to hear further details. It is then claimed that callers are connected to a £20.00 per minute premium rate line that will still charge them for a minimum of five minutes even if they disconnect immediately. It is also claimed that, if callers stay connected, the entire message costs £260.00.

In the second case, the apparent 'deception' takes place when people receive a missed call from a number beginning 0709. It is then claimed that, if callers dial this number, they are connected to a £50.00 per minute premium rate line.

Please note that these stories are NOT true.

£20.00 per minute and £50.00 per minute premium rate tariffs do not exist - the highest premium rate tariff available is £1.50 per minute. Despite the dozens of enquiries received by ICSTIS about these 'scams' (and most people appear to have heard about them second or third-hand), not one person who claims that it has actually happened to them has been able to produce a phone bill to support their story.

ICSTIS urges any individual or organisation that receives an e-mail about these 'scams' to delete it immediately. Please do NOT forward it to others.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • mikemoney
    Options
    I had two such calls yesterday - I didn't press 9 so I don't know what would have happened, but I bet I hadn't won a holiday.
    Are you saying that dialing 9 in such cirumstances does nothing?
  • ducky2004
    ducky2004 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yah..got one too. Ashame that the lady with such sweet voice get involved i n this kind of scam.

One can take down the number and complain online on https://www.icstis.org.uk. ICSTIS probably fine them some xk but then realsied they will never see the money as the company is based in some carribean island :-((
  • Micky
    Micky Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    I 'phoned BT on 150 about the "press 9" scam, I was advised that pressing 9 would result in call charges. I think the BT person was guessing. I can't envisage how pressing 9 would result in call charges because the call originated from another party ... but I could be wrong.

Most of these "free holidays" are timeshare under another name. If you can handle mental pressure then go along for the free holiday and enjoy winding-up the sales people. If mind games are not your strong point then run away.

If the company is based outside the UK then be very careful about giving credit card details. If it's genuine timeshare then they should be keen to entice you to the resort for the hard sell without your credit card details.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pressing '9' cannot in itself connect you to a 'premium rate' number that you will be charged for. However, I don't suppose they are ringing just for a 'hoax', there must be some monetary motive for them to call you!

I guess they use autodiallers and don't want to waste personnel on calling people who are not interested. If you press '9' perhaps you are then directed to someone who does take your call, or perhaps it says 'we are busy at the moment please call us later on 09xxx (a premium rate number). Or, maybe, by pressing '9' it indicates that you may be someone they can target later - so they then note your number and get a human to call you!

If I were you, if you get such a call, just leave the phone off the hook, press the 'secrecy' button on your phone and let them run up their phone bill!
  • mikemoney
    Options
    ducky2004 wrote:
    Yah..got one too. Ashame that the lady with such sweet voice get involved i n this kind of scam.

One can take down the number and complain online on https://www.icstis.org.uk. ICSTIS probably fine them some xk but then realsied they will never see the money as the company is based in some carribean island :-((

Thanks, but sadly the number has always been withheld!
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    this was on Watchdog the other week, Bt spokesman said it was Urban Myth, no way you can get charged
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Browntoa wrote:
    this was on Watchdog the other week, Bt spokesman said it was Urban Myth, no way you can get charged
    .... which is exactly what ICSTIS said some time ago.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • colin_tomlinson
    Options
    What's the query? Of course pressing 9 will cost you. Think about how pressing 3 results in a cost on 1471. There's no charge until you press 3.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's the query? Of course pressing 9 will cost you. Think about how pressing 3 results in a cost on 1471. There's no charge until you press 3.

Agree that pressing 3 after dialling 1471 costs you (at BT line anyway), but pressing '9' on an incoming call cannot cost you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure