British Heart Foundation - Overpriced, substandard

Options
Grrrr

OK ive had numerous bad experiences with their furniture shop in Maidstone now (A glorified house clearance shop with some good bits on show, admittedly, all waaaayyy overpriced)

- The bed my mum bought (New) that had cruddy wooden slats that didnt fit the bed frame and therefore cannot be fixed in certain places

- The bookshelf they wouldnt haggle on, despite it being clearly overpriced

- The Remote control TV that had the wrong remote control on it (Going back next week, so thats me having to lug it all the way to my mums house and now ALL THE WAY BACK)

- The flatscreen TV/ monitor I just bought that I asked in advance if it worked, was told 'No it doesnt sir, thats why were selling it' (Ha bloody ha) just got it home on the bus (Admittedly its not heavy, its 15") and the PC input doesnt work...

So thats £8 ill have to spend getting back into Maidstone and return just to get this stupid thing returned

Considering these clowns are charging high prices for ropey old wardrobes, substandard new items (Like the bed, although their wardrobes are OK) and consumer electrical items/ other furniture you can get off freecycle if you are patient and/or drive you think they would have the time to check the items they are selling...

Not going back in there again... absolute cocks

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Those nasty charities wanting to make money, eh?
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2012 at 6:38PM
    Options
    The bookshelf they wouldnt haggle on, despite it being clearly overpriced

You go into a charity shop ..........and haggle???

Unbelievable.

If the stuff was '$h1t£' and overpriced, why did you just not walk out?

Not going back in there again... absolute cocks

Let's hope you or any member of your family doesn't have a heart problem in the future as I'm sure you would feel awful if any of the equipment or research that saved lives would have been financially assisted by those 'cocks'!
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Those nasty charities wanting to make money, eh?

Ive said before here, if a charity is to survive, it has to be competitively priced
    If a charity shop is more expensive on similar items in other second hand stores whats the point?

And yeah, I haggle in second hand shops - but only very very occasionally and only ever in the BHF Furniture shop (And once in Oxfam)
  • shinkyshonky
    shinkyshonky Posts: 2,782 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of their stuff is overpriced
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” Socrates

Haters gonna hate
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    Is it '' Let's slag off BHF season'' at the moment?

How many threads so far have been on here slating them?

They are a charity, not your local Argos
  • Delivery_Driver
    Options
    And yet you keep going back.That's what I call loyalty.
  • blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    If they price it at that price it is because they know someone will buy it; why shouldn't they? Just because you won't doesn't mean no-one will

If someone has donated it thinking it is a fairly valuable item I imagine they'd be disappointed to see it sold for peanuts
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rustyboy21 wrote: »
    They are a charity, not your local Argos

Personally, I feel if they are running a high street business to make money, then they should be treated like any other business. Which means you don't haggle, and if they are overpriced you shop elsewhere.
  • Coopdivi
    Coopdivi Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    I bought my fridge from there for £35 and it's still going strong after 8 years. Perhaps I should have haggled it down to 34 quid?
  • £$&*"($£&(
    £$&*"($£&( Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    jc808 wrote: »

- The flatscreen TV/ monitor I just bought

So despite the other problems and everything being overpriced you still kept buying stuff from there. How much did you spend on this 15 inch technical marvel?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure