Bank of Scotland / Halifax Login Details letter

Options
Hi,

Today I had a letter from Bank Of Scotland to tell me my online banking is locked as the number of guesses had been exceeded.

I do not have an account with Bank of Scotland only Halifax.

They verified me with the Halifax details, and when I logged into internet banking on Bank of Scotland I could see my Halifax account details.

Is something strange going on with the two banks?

Comments

• rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Is something strange going on with the two banks?

They are the same bank, and use the same systems.

It appears that you were sent an incorrectly branded letter, that is all.
  • HoneyAndLemon
    Options
    So have you always logged in through the Bank of Scotland website? Or was it just that once to see if it worked?

If you've always logged in through BOS, then that would explain the BOS letter. You should always log in through the Halifax website to see any Halifax accounts. If you've always done it that way then I think it was the wrong brand on the letter just.
    ''Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by a$$holes.'' :whistle:
  • MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    No, never logged into Bank Of Scotland before, just tried it to see if it would work.

Halifax and BOS security log in details are different too, so cannot be the same system. Similar yes. Much like Lloyds TSB and Halifax.

My log in with Halifax was OK, I had to log into this to verify security details with Bank Of Scotland when I called.

My first thought was that it was a phising letter, but discounted that as the legitimate BOS site had the same phone number on it to call as the letter.

Seems a strange one to me.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That is weird if you have explained it correctly. I have accounts with both, but my log in details are the same on both sites, and always have been.

However, you said you had no BOS accounts? Perhaps that makes a difference.

And if you have no BOS accounts why would you have BOS log in details, which you said were different from Halifax? I think you are a little confused here. Can you now log in via BOS with your Halifax details?

They are the same bank overall, but are trying to separate the brands apparently, and Scotland now gets BOS branches only while everyone else gets Halifax only.

There seems to be a quiet move to slide all Scottish Halifax customers over to BOS accounts. For example, my grandchild's Halifax Children's regular Saver ended the other day. The letter about that came on BOS headed paper, the account was changed into a BOS Young Saver.

Yesterday I redesignated my Halifax ISA to one paying a better rate. Before I could do this the operator insisted he had to check that this really was a Halifax account as it might have been changed to a BOS one! Really? Without my knowledge?

Also opened a Halifax online Saver, for that they had to check that my Halifax Reward Current account still really was a Halifax one.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Today I had a letter from Bank Of Scotland to tell me my online banking is locked as the number of guesses had been exceeded.

This sounds very much like those scam emails - which frequently say you're locked out of your account and direct you to a fake website.

Q. Had you actually had 3 consecutive login failures before getting this letter?
    They verified me with the Halifax details
    How did they verify you? Branch visit? Phone Call? Website?

I don't want to worry you but it might be wise to check your account for unexpected withdrawals.
  • MoneySaverLog
    Options
    Not a phishing letter, which was my first thought, looked on the official bank of scotland website and the contact numbers matched that on the letter.

Strange as I say. No never banked with them ever. Only Halifax, and definately have different log on's for lloyds tsb, halifax and now bank of scotland!
  • traynor1987
    Options
    Can you now log in via BOS with your Halifax details?

You can login to either one using the same details, just tried it then. Logged into BOS website, which showed my accounts and the Halifax logo rather than logo of the cards/accounts as it does on the Halifax website.

Have to say the Halifax website is similar but better looking.
    Money: Current Account: £85.24 | Cash ISA: £5300.00 | Online Saver: £2700.00* | Total Cash: £8085.24
    Credit: Halifax: £2450.00 | Barclaycard: £1200.00 | Capital One: £300.00 | Very: £750.00
    Income: Wages: £959.22/month | Debt: £957.04
    Last Updated: 19/02/2013 | *Opened On: 18/01/2012
  • jennifernil
    Options
    You can login to either one using the same details, just tried it then. Logged into BOS website, which showed my accounts and the Halifax logo rather than logo of the cards/accounts as it does on the Halifax website.

Have to say the Halifax website is similar but better looking.

Yes, that is what I can do too, but the OP is saying he now has different log-in details to use with BOS. Most odd!
  • jennifernil
    Options
    Not a phishing letter, which was my first thought, looked on the official bank of scotland website and the contact numbers matched that on the letter.

Strange as I say. No never banked with them ever. Only Halifax, and definately have different log on's for lloyds tsb, halifax and now bank of scotland!

Lloyds and HBOS were always separate log-ins, but Halifax and BOS have always been interchangable, and all accounts show up whichever website you log in via.

Displays are different, but function is the same.
  • MoneySaverLog
    Options
    Halifax log in details do not work at bankofscotland.co.uk only the registration details I entered at bankofscotland.co.uk work. And when I log into BOS I get a list of my halifax accounts.

Never had a bank of scotland account, never applied for one, and don't live in Scotland. As I say it's a strange one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure