We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

regrets

Options
What's your biggest regret in life?
Mine is getting into a relationship with a man who is a heavy smoker who is now suffering from a lung complaint :(

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    you didnt know he was a heavy smoker? so what is your beef hun? having to look after him?
  • scottishchick27
    Options
    Not having more children when I was younger :(
    :j little fire cracker born 5th November 2012 :j
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    treeca wrote: »
    Mine is getting into a relationship with a man who is a heavy smoker who is now suffering from a lung complaint :(

You must have known that he smoked when you started the relationship, are you still in the relationship with him or have you moved on.

Why do you regret becoming involved with him, surely love is about being there at the worst times as well as the good times:(
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    treeca wrote: »

My Dad has lung cancer due to smoking. I'm pretty sure my Mum doesn't regret being married to him for 53 years. In fact I know she doesn't. Put the smoking and illness out of the equation - do you regret being with your partner? We might wish they'd never smoked but you can't regret being with someone if you love them.
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2012 at 12:23AM
    Options
    I deeply regret.... (years ago now)

Trusting my seniors at work.

As a young apprentice (of sorts) They set me a task and advised it was the norm to utilise this particular working practice. When I queried it as I was not really comfortable with the task (in writing) they and other team members confirmed it was fine (also in writing). I was too green to know this was not the case. They were qualified professionals who were supposed to be my mentors.

The poo hit the fan.

Then they promised me it would be ok, that the fault lay with them, they would be to blame and these things were a storm in a teacup............ while they colluded, lied, altered paperwork and denied everything to protect themselves. By the time I realised what was going on I had already been done up like a Christmas turkey. (I was SO naive and trusting)

I became a very public scapegoat while everyone covered their butts and my life was made hell. The sense of injustice still remains with me to this day. I did nothing wrong except trust the people who had much more seniority, skill and knowledge than me who were placed in a position of authority which they abused.

But I was the one who lost my job, my professional qualification (which I had spent several hard years working towards and accrued very large student debt) due to loss of income, loss at a tribunal (they lied, lied and lied) my PPI wouldn’t pay out I lost my house and relationship. I regret the loss of the time and effort, the blood, sweat and tears i put in to earning my qualification, the debt which would have been paid off swiftly (and was being so) by my new role and the years I struggled afterwards with the debt and bad refrence like a millstones around my neck.

One day Karma will catch up with them and if I am lucky the powers that be will let me watch.

I am glad to say it all worked itself out in the end, I am nearly debt free, I have a good stress free job and a OH i treasure.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • RedBern
    RedBern Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    Options
    Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention...:)
    Bern :j
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    I regret not going travelling before I started work. It would be too detrimental to my career to go for a year now, so I won't get to go unless I am fit and healty when I retire at 78 or whatever the age will be then. I'm not sure I would have had the career I have had if I had taken a year out, though, so it's hard to really regret it.

I don't regret that my career means I can be with whoever I want and not have to worry about their earning capacity.

I could regret not having children when I was younger, but if I had I would either be in a relationship with a lovely guy who I have a lot of affection for but no desire with by now teenage children or have younger children who would have lost a father who had many faults but who was good with children and losing a father must be very traumatic. I probably won't have children now, but neither of those scenarios appeals, so that can't be a regret either.

I could regret spending so long with my ex hoping that he would change and indeed trying to help him change without recognising he was unable to change and my will would never be sufficient, but without that I wouldn't have made a number of friends, wouldn't be with the love of the life who I met through him and wouldn't be the person I am today.

It's a bit Back to the Future, but if you change the past you change the present and I'm pretty happy with the present.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    My husband's in the later stages of emphysema but I don't regret marrying him one little bit.

He's the one with regrets - that he ignored all the warning signs and didn't give up smoking until the damage had been done.
  • babymoo
    babymoo Posts: 3,187 Forumite
    Options
    I've made a lot of mistakes in my years but regrets? None. I've learnt from every mistake I've made and how can you regret life's lessons?

Regretting is just useless energy, learn from it, move on and make the best of what you actually do have.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    babymoo wrote: »
    I've made a lot of mistakes in my years but regrets? None. I've learnt from every mistake I've made and how can you regret life's lessons?

Regretting is just useless energy, learn from it, move on and make the best of what you actually do have.

That's good advice. I totally agree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family