Ethical Forestry

Options
Does anybody know if investing in trees is a good thing. I have a Post Office pension of 13 years amounting to roughly £50,000. A company called Avacade Investments have sent me a booklet from Ethical Forestry with the incentive of getting a lump sum of roughly £5000 when we sign up. We need money for a deposit on a housing association house that we now have the right to buy. Can anybody help? Thanks

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 December 2011 at 4:20PM
    Options
    which company do you work for ?

you invest 12k and in 12 years you get back 104,189?

of course you do
  • oldtoolie
    Options
    You are thinking about investing your pension with a company Avacade that has only existed since 2010, lists no one by name on their website and is not registered with the FSA. One of the products they offer are 'Life settlement funds' which the FSA is banning as “high-risk, toxic”.

With a little research I found the director's name ( http://uk.linkedin.com/in/leelummis ) and he isn't registered with the FSA either. He is linked with CREDIT CLEAR UK LTD (claims to be able to break your credit contracts and consolidate debts) and BUY AND LET PROPERTIES LIMITED (now out of business). He is in his late 20's.

So this young man wants you to put your pension into trees in Costa Rica? How do know that he or the tree company is honest?
  • MoneySavingUser
    Options
    Run a mile!
  • temagami
    Options
    Short answer - don't touch it or any investment (timber, land, real estate, carbon credits, investing in films etc) promoted directly to you by firms in this way. These kinds of investments are barely regulated or completely unregulated, with no real restrictions on what firms can say when they are trying to persuade you to invest. You will not have any protection from the Financial Services Authority or the Financial Services Compensation scheme if things go wrong or turn out to be fraudulent, because these investments are not covered.

Longer answer about timber - it's an interesting asset in many ways, but assuming the websites I found with those names are the same companies who contacted you, they are being very optimistic with the returns they are promising. Timber returns have been pretty good in the last few years and are roughly consistently with the implied rate of return they are implying - but those last few years have been exceptionally good (and although not exactly mainstream, timber investing has certainly become more popular in this time).

Longer term, average returns have been much lower - recent high returns need to be contrasted with negative returns at the start of the decade (see the IPD UK Forestry index).

(The timber investments marketed by these firms are not UK timber but in Costa Rica seemingly - some different dynamics and risks will apply - I'm using UK statistics just to make the point that this is not a high return guaranteed every year asset class.)

Both sites quote - among other people - Jeremy Grantham of GMO on the merits of investing in timber. Grantham has long been very keen on timber - but his assumed long-term real rate of return on timber investments is 6% per year. The Ethical Forestry site projections work out to an assumed rate of return of about 16% per year. The difference should make anyone question how realistic these promises are, especially since 16% would be a staggeringly high rate of return to sustain over 12 years for something that is marketed as "secure".

(Obviously, the fact this is not regulated, the lack of names behind it, the difficulty of verifying what they actually do etc are the very first reasons you should steer well clear - but for anyone wondering if the underlying investment story stacks up, the answer is no.)
  • Ark_Welder
    Ark_Welder Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2011 at 5:49PM
    Options
    From Avacade's web-site:
    DISCLAIMER: The contents of website should only be read by qualified financial advisors or financial professionals regulated by the FSA. It is not intended to be read or distributed, in whole or in part, by any investors or members of the public, however sophisticated they may be.
    So my question would be to ask why a company that states that its services are for qualified professionals only, is contacting members of the public directly.

A few threads regarding Credit Clear UK, being another company that is associated with the director:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2689613
    http://boards.fool.co.uk/credit-clear-uk-ethos-bank-11160303.aspx?sort=whole
    http://www.canyoutrustthem.com/index.php?go=details&id=11561&adv=&company_name=&city=&list=yes&offsetf=

The Ethical Forestry scheme has been raised in another thread on MSE. Interesting to see that the two first-time posters on that thread never came back with any further comments:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3607169
    Living for tomorrow might mean that you survive the day after.
    It is always different this time. The only thing that is the same is the outcome.
    Portfolios are like personalities - one that is balanced is usually preferable.

• Colvin
    Colvin Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have just come across an ad for this company in "Green" magazine issued free with the Guardian today.

Sounds like the same deal.

Is there any reality in them owning land in Costa Rica?
  • oldtoolie
    oldtoolie Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    Not a magazine -- a paid-for advertising supplement.

Reality? Who knows?

I suppose you could give your money to some guy who says he will give it to some guy in Costa Rica who will grow some trees, look after them and in ten years, cut them down, sell them and send you the money. That might happen. Or he might say the dreaded Central American borer beetle ate your trees so they aren't worth anything. And if you didn't like it, you could sue him in Costa Rica.
  • Drew_58
    Drew_58 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Have looked at this as i was passed the company details by Avocade, I was keen to give it a go as the returns were superb, too good perhaps, then I read the comments on here and have grave doubts about sending my hard earned money to someone i have never met, that says they will plant some saplings on my behalf in Costa Rica, then four years in will send me £5640, then four years later £15,595 two years later £20,518 and then two years later at harvest £62,436

How can you trust that will happen, even if the trees have not been eaten by beatles, blown away with a hurricane, or demand has declined?

I found this article very interesting at Money Observer
    www.moneyobserver.com/issue/features/growing-pains

I for one am glad that I checked this Investment out, and is not something I will get involved in
    If you can keep your head, when all around are loosing theirs, then you probably haven't grasped the seriousness of the situation...:rotfl:
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    On the grounds that two newbies with no posting record have both posted new threads entitled "ethical forestry", its obviously :spam:

Run for them hills IMHO.
    illegitimi non carborundum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family