Fibreglass coming from my exhaust?

Options
cleggie
cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
Hi all.
I went shopping yesterday and when i arrived at the supermarket i noticed that fibreglass was coming out of my exhaust!
To begin with i thought someone had put it up there, so i pulled, and pulled, but it kept coming. So i am pretty sure someone didnt put it up there, but that its actually meant to be up there?

Does anyone have any clue what this could be, and how much it may cost to get fixed please?

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is sound deadening material from the exhaust back box.

You need to start saving for a new back box.
  • Hadrian
    Hadrian Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    This is sound deadening material from the exhaust back box.

You need to start saving for a new back box.
    I agree, sound deadening material surrounds the perforated exhaust within the box. For some reason that has got into the pipe and been blown out. Odd tho'. A simple change of box should do the trick. Somewhere other than "Quickficks" though, they'll want the whole exhaust renewed. Get a few quotes for box and the whole thing.
  • cleggie
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Should it be safe to drive for a few days before being able to take it to the garage do you know?
  • Red_Cat
    Red_Cat Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Options
    Probably safe to drive, but you wil notice a louder exhaust, but best to avoid high speed, long journeys if possible.

Also the Police might stop you if your car is making a racket.
    Hoping this year is better than the last. :)
  • bob_a_builder
    Options
    Also the Police might stop you if your car is making a racket.
    if only that were so ...
  • Wh05apk
    Wh05apk Posts: 2,938 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Should be no problem, mught just sound a bit rortier!
    I am a mortgage adviser.
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pull out all the loose stuff and look upon it as a DIY “sports exhaust”
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    cleggie wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    Should it be safe to drive for a few days before being able to take it to the garage do you know?

Perfectly safe to drive - just pull out the bits you can. I also wouldn't bother replacing it yet either. Chances are the exhaust will be slightly louder but not massively so. It would probably still pass a MOT just fine. Ignore the comment about not doing high speed long journeys. It makes absolutely no difference.
  • Alfrescodave
    Options
    This happened to my wife's fiesta a few years ago. We just ignored it and the car sailed thru the next 2 MOT's with no problem - hardly noticed any increase in noise either
  • cleggie
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i dont get paid until 25th so it'll have to wait now that i know its not dangerous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure