Fibreglass coming from my exhaust?

Options
2»

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If its a turbo diesel car then you may not notice any difference in the sound the car makes.

Know a few people that have had the rear exhaust boxes corrode and drop off. Barely any difference to the noise.

Some people have been driving around like that for some time, Others have fitted a piece of pipe in place of the box.

How noisy is it, Is the box itself in good condition?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happened to an old Renault d I had some years ago- I just pulled it out and carried on driving. No issues.
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    If its a turbo diesel car then you may not notice any difference in the sound the car makes.

Know a few people that have had the rear exhaust boxes corrode and drop off. Barely any difference to the noise.

Some people have been driving around like that for some time, Others have fitted a piece of pipe in place of the box.

How noisy is it, Is the box itself in good condition?

its not noisy at all, hence the reaon i didnt notice anything until i parked up and saw it coming out of the exhaust. If it starts getting really noisy then i'll sort it out sooner.
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Options
    So long as the back box isn't rusty I'd just leave it. It's sound deadening/heat resistant material.
    Keep an eye on the back box (this material could be heat shielding and the lack of it could cause the back box to deteriorate due to excess heat) but 9/10 times it'll cause no issues and you won't need to do anything about it.
  • Wayne3765
    Options
    I had this happen once , drove with it for months without any problems until one day it seemed to be lacking in power all of a sudden , I put my foot down and the car spluttered and "coughed" a lump of fibreglass out of the exhaust , after that it was fine again but I sold it a few months later.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    depending on the vehicle the wadding can now collapse and block your exhaust causing you to put your foot down further to compensate for the blocked exhaust (and use more fuel)
    by all means continue to use the car but i would recommend only on non motorway roads in case it does indeed block up completely
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had this happen with a 1958 MGA that I restored. The only problem was that the exhaust system had only the one box and so the exhaust sound became very "crackley". It was a S/S system with lifetime guarantee and so I got a free replacement which is still fine after 20+ years.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    This happened to my wife's fiesta a few years ago. We just ignored it and the car sailed thru the next 2 MOT's with no problem - hardly noticed any increase in noise either

This happened to my mums old 1980's fiesta too when I was a kid.

I remember being dropped off at school (it was a chocolate brown fiesta too!) car pulled up outside gate, where all my mates were standing, pointing and laughing. When I got out the car I realised why, a 10ft or so tail of fibreglass (remember it looked like hair at the time) coming from the exhaust as my mum sped off. Really embarrassed haha.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's rather unnerving, isn't it? This happened to my old car, and I noticed when the tail got so long I could see it in the wing mirror as I went down the motorway. Didn't cause any problems though, and it got through the MOT OK (I made sure there weren't any visible threads around just in case the MOT place wanted to try it on).
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • kolin_2
    kolin_2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    how ironic, same thing has happened to me with my corsa, got a new rear section for £35, going to ask garage to fit it when they service it this friday
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure